Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if KR can’t see where we need to strengthen, then he’s blind!! This is potentially his last throw of the dice. He’s going to be given a larger budget to previous seasons, so there is no excuse as far as I’m concerned. He must deliver this time around.

We can’t aim for the playoffs. That imo is a losing mentality. You have to aim for top 2. As we know only too well the playoffs is a complete lottery, it’s probably the best way to go up, in front of a large crowd, at Wembley, but I’d rather limp over the line in 2nd with a dull draw in Nailsworth if need be.
KR knows he can't mess up this time round and needs to be around the top 6 by Xmas or it will be bye bye and we will be looking for a new manager as I don't think the new board will be messing around with the money they are pumping into the club

If the intent is to go to three at the back next season then I think, defensively, KR has four players to sign.

In that scheme, both Sam Long and (if he signs) Ciaron Brown are 100% centre backs. A wing back is basically a defensively responsible winger. Neither Long nor Brown have the pace, trickery or attacking prowess to play that role.

So we can sign Brown (or Thornily), but then I think we need one more first choice, experienced beast of a centre half to complete the set. A group consisting of that new guy + Moore, McNally, Long, Brown/Thornily and then Golding playing a few games/serving as emergency backup in case of an injury crisis would look pretty good.

At wingback, Seddon is fine as backup on the left, and Williams & Forde are both fine as backup on the right, but we need two new starters because we don't have anyone of sufficient quality to play those roles for a promotion-winning side in the current squad.

If the intent is to go to three at the back next season then I think, defensively, KR has four players to sign.

In that scheme, both Sam Long and (if he signs) Ciaron Brown are 100% centre backs. A wing back is basically a defensively responsible winger. Neither Long nor Brown have the pace, trickery or attacking prowess to play that role.

So we can sign Brown (or Thornily), but then I think we need one more first choice, experienced beast of a centre half to complete the set. A group consisting of that new guy + Moore, McNally, Long, Brown/Thornily and then Golding playing a few games/serving as emergency backup in case of an injury crisis would look pretty good.

At wingback, Seddon is fine as backup on the left, and Williams & Forde are both fine as backup on the right, but we need two new starters because we don't have anyone of sufficient quality to play those roles for a promotion-winning side in the current squad.
You’ve got ten defenders there!

I thought you liked Williams - I think he’s a decent right wing back (not left) at League One level? I think say a Chris Cadden is an upgrade on him, and I’m sure we could get better, but I wouldn’t be gutted if we started the season with Williams as our RWB. I can’t say the same about Seddon though… very much a backup for me.

You might want to watch Sam Long in the 20/21 season!

Callum Doyle has had his 2 year loan from Man City cut short after 1 year by Sunderland.

Left footed centre back who played for 3/4 of the season for Lee Johnson in a back 3 but didn’t feature as much for Alex Neil.

I thought you liked Williams - I think he’s a decent right wing back (not left) at League One level? I think say a Chris Cadden is an upgrade on him, and I’m sure we could get better, but I wouldn’t be gutted if we started the season with Williams as our RWB. I can’t say the same about Seddon though… very much a backup for me.

I do like Williams - I love his energy and his hustle, his directness and the fact he's pretty two-footed.

I don't, however, think he's a great defender. So whilst I wouldn't say it's the end of the world if he's our starting RWB, I think we could do better.

And Williams is definitely not a fullback if we ever want to go back to four at the back.

I do like Williams - I love his energy and his hustle, his directness and the fact he's pretty two-footed.

I don't, however, think he's a great defender. So whilst I wouldn't say it's the end of the world if he's our starting RWB, I think we could do better.

And Williams is definitely not a fullback if we ever want to go back to four at the back.
I also think that, being primarily a winger, his final ball let’s him down badly. Takes a touch too many before crossing and consistently hits the first defender.

You might want to watch Sam Long in the 20/21 season!

He was great - defended well; full of running; linked up great with Henry or whoever else was playing on the right-hand side; popped up with some epic goals.

Still not a wingback. A good wingback should genuinely be able to terrorize opposition defenders. The way Gorgeous George used to. That's not ever going to be Sam Long.

In a 5-3-2/3-5-2, he's a centre back. On form, he's a good one.

Rotherham want to sign Grigg by the looks
of it, he was decent for them. I’m sure KR will be interested.

Sounds very much like 3 at the back is the plan, or it was a couple of weeks ago.

Thorniley at LCB rather than Brown if it comes down to that, but i still think there is a case to be made for Brown
at LWB rotating with Seddon depending on the opposition, that long throw is a decent asset but like Long he lacks
the winger skill set, the fact that he can cover at LCB is a nice bonus as well, so tbh im really 50/50 on this.
Agree about the need for a new 1st choice RWB, also need a new CM, if Gorrin signs i dont think we need a 2nd
DM not with playing 3 at the back and with Gorrin probably not starting every game its going to be a problem
giving a new DM game time unless he is a starter or rotates with Gorrin, which then leaves Brannagan, Mcguane,
and Henry fighting for 1 spot, so imo its one or the other and knowing how attack minded KR is i bet its a CM.

Talking of attack, i`m not a 100% convinced that this 3 at the back is any more defensive than his 2 at the back, i
wouldnt put it past him to try and play 1 at the back (Moore) and push McNally out to RWB, our LCB to LWB
and our original wing backs become out and out wingers... :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom