Current Player #20 Rúben Rodrigues

but isnt shirt pulling no longer an infringement of the rules/laws of the game?- seriously there seems to be zero consistency from match officials on shirtpulling , its rarely, if ever, even given as a foul, even if its blatant.
He’s deliberately pulling a player back who has got away from him while making no attempt to play the ball. That’s a straight yellow card.

The momentum was with Cheltenham for 90 of the nearly,100 minutes played .

It only levelled it up 10 v 10, not sure how it cost us ? Surely we don’t need a man advantage to beat Cheltenham ?
We shouldn’t, but we did.

Cheltenham absolutely battered us first half when it was 11 vs 11, and then from the start of the second half, with an extra player, it was all Oxford, constant one-way traffic, chance after chance. That changed back again as soon as it went to 10 vs 10. So you have to think that if we’d kept the man advantage we’d have carried on dominating the game.

It only levelled it up 10 v 10, not sure how it cost us ? Surely we don’t need a man advantage to beat Cheltenham ?
His missed sitter and sending off, plus already being 1-0 down didn’t help our case. We were poor as a collective from the off yesterday (not at the races). We were on top in the 2nd half until the sending off.

Yes, you’re going to get games that are going to be harder, especially teams that are more direct/and have tight pitches, as it’s completely alien to our style, so you take every advantage you can.

Regardless of your view of the second booking, Rodrigues should've never been in that position in the first place.

We see it time and time again: referee misses a clear foul, the player tells them that, the player gets booked - the fragility and insecurity of officials is the only reason for that.

Refs shouldn't be booking players for informing them of their obvious mistakes.

Regardless of your view of the second booking, Rodrigues should've never been in that position in the first place.

We see it time and time again: referee misses a clear foul, the player tells them that, the player gets booked - the fragility and insecurity of officials is the only reason for that.

Refs shouldn't be booking players for informing them of their obvious mistakes.
players should perhaps leave the talking to referees to their team captain ?

players should perhaps leave the talking to referees to their team captain ?
Moore has been booked at least a couple of times this season for talking to the ref.

The problem is that anyone who dares question a referee is punished. A manager can’t even mention the ref without the FA getting involved. So no one can question referees and at the same time, the refs don’t have to come out and justify certain decisions so due to this, they have become untouchable. Refs have had complete shockers in our games this season yet they still get appointed to a game the following week.

That would only work if referees actually listened to the captains... which they don't!
Except that they don't listen to players other than the captains, and those players are taking a risk by doing so - so where is the benefit? I do share your frustrations, but until and unless a better crop of refs comes through we have to be smart enough to deal with what we have got.

i agree the FA should protect refs, but it’s getting ridiculous now. Bookings for nothing.
They’re making a rod for their own back!
I’m all for ex players coming into the game, give them a decent salary and bring them thru via non-league. Ex players know the game better than some part time ref.

It’s the laws of the game that are flawed, not so much the referees that apply them.
Agree to a large extent.
But some laws aren't applied or referees have slackened off on them.
My pet hates are
Nearly every throw in is a foul throw.
Why are defenders allowed to virtually rugby tackle attackers at corners and free kicks into the box?
Why are corners allowed to be taken with the ball clearly outside the quadrant?
Why don't free kicks get given for blatant obstruction anymore, it's called football and if there's no attempt to play the ball but only the man it should be a free kick?
I could go on.
And if we ever get to the stage where we have VAR at our games I'm going to stop going!!

Agree to a large extent.
But some laws aren't applied or referees have slackened off on them.

Not so sure about this - both feet on/behind the line, ball thrown from behind and over the head. Pro players know how to take one.
Admittedly many steal a few yards from where it should be taken.

Why are defenders allowed to virtually rugby tackle attackers at corners and free kicks into the box?

They’re not. But equally they are allowed to stand their ground if an attacker backs into them. As a referee I average nearly one penalty per game, mostly for holding at corners so you have a point there.

The rule is the ball has to be placed so that when viewed from above it is at least touching the quadrant. So the part of the ball nearest the flag will always be casting a shadow over the white line, but the bit touching the floor doesn’t need to touch or be inside the line.
Why don't free kicks get given for blatant obstruction anymore, it's called football and if there's no attempt to play the ball but only the man it should be a free kick?

Ah! There’s an art to attacking play in order to win a free-kick here but referees are wise to it. If the ref thinks the attacker could have run round or past the defender but he chooses not to, and collides with the defender then it’s not a free-kick, or rather it should be one to the defending team. Too often at grassroots level I see an attacker running towards 2 defenders and he tries to get through the small gap between them, colliding, when he should have tried to take it round the outside. = foul by the attacker. But pro strikers are adept at running into a flailing arm and going down like a sack of spuds, and this is what they’re taught in academies. Coaches need to wise up to this and realise the refs have sussed this out.

Not so sure about this - both feet on/behind the line, ball thrown from behind and over the head. Pro players know how to take one.
Admittedly many steal a few yards from where it should be taken.

They’re not. But equally they are allowed to stand their ground if an attacker backs into them. As a referee I average nearly one penalty per game, mostly for holding at corners so you have a point there.

The rule is the ball has to be placed so that when viewed from above it is at least touching the quadrant. So the part of the ball nearest the flag will always be casting a shadow over the white line, but the bit touching the floor doesn’t need to touch or be inside the line.

Ah! There’s an art to attacking play in order to win a free-kick here but referees are wise to it. If the ref thinks the attacker could have run round or past the defender but he chooses not to, and collides with the defender then it’s not a free-kick, or rather it should be one to the defending team. Too often at grassroots level I see an attacker running towards 2 defenders and he tries to get through the small gap between them, colliding, when he should have tried to take it round the outside. = foul by the attacker. But pro strikers are adept at running into a flailing arm and going down like a sack of spuds, and this is what they’re taught in academies. Coaches need to wise up to this and realise the refs have sussed this out.
Foul throws seem to be the norm and felt both sides Saturday played foul throws

I can’t help feeling that if, when having their shirt pulled off their back, our players fell over (forwards if necessary; it doesn’t seem to matter) instead of standing there waving their arms at the referee claiming a foul, they would actually get a free kick. Are they naive - or are they taught not to (admirable in a way, but self-destructive)?

The game is in danger of disappearing into a quagmire of video checks/tests and rule breaks -it isn't played at such a leisurely pace as cricket for example or neither is it able to respond to a power play such as in ice hockey with sin bins. I despair at the takeover of powers that be WITHOUT consultation with supporters.

Back
Top Bottom