EFL 19/05/2021 Lincoln City vs Sunderland match build up

Lincoln for me - after last year I can't handle losing another final to such a bunch of unpleasant fellows as those Sunderland chaps

I hear ya. But the the flip side is, beating them…

We rarely beat sunderland so hope lincoln win. If blackpool beat us then i hope sunderland get promoted.

It’s a tough one for me, obviously the big club Sunderland deserve to be be in the championship at least so they should have won this league by Christmas, Oh, hang on a minute, Oh yeah, they only finished with 3 more points than us, gained 2 wins less than us and scored fewer goals than us, the way they celebrated their 3rd goal against us will be revenged.
If it were to be Oxford Utd v Lincoln City in the final then firstly, good luck to them especially Micheal Appleton who has done a fantastic job in a short space of time in getting the older players out of the club, signing young talent that could stand the club in good stead in the coming seasons By selling players for a profit and of course making the most of loan players from premiership clubs.
And secondly, I potentially have two bites of the cherry at getting a seat at Wembley however unlikely that is and with living in Lincoln this would be the biggest game in both clubs history for well over 30 years, we would probably have a better chance if we play Lincoln in the final and I want to hold my head up high in this city.

Would like Lincoln to go up if not us, anyone else have preferences?
I'd like Blackpool to make it, if not us.

Blackpool have a cracking stadium in an honest old town. The fans have been through a lot and don't see their team as a sleeping giant, like they might be forgiven for doing. Solid team with the foundations to make a go of Championship stability.

Lincoln are a bit like us - arguably one of the smaller Championship sides who would constantly be marketed as "plucky over-achievers". Silimar attendance to us. I want the best for Appleton but I don't want to see them skyrocketing past us and into the Champ.

I don't dislike Sunderland. I have a good friend who is from and supports Sunderland. The Netflix doc is true in expressing how much the club means to their fans - it's literally their whole life. They have a warped sense of how big they should be as a club which makes the fanbase embarrassing at times. They still haven't learnt their lesson yet so they need to stay down here for a few more seasons.

Apparently Wigan have a promotion bonus written in to the sale contracts of Will Grigg and Max Power at Sunderland.

even though Grigg has been playing at MK Dons f or half of this season. I wonder if he is back and available for the play-offs?

Match officials for the first & second legs are -

Sky Bet League One Play-Off Semi-Finals First Leg

Lincoln City v Sunderland (18:00)
CRAIG HICKS
Andrew Dallison and Hristo Karaivanov
Fourth Official : Sam Purkiss
Reserve AR: Stephen Wade

Sky Bet League One Play-Off Semi-Finals Second Leg

Sunderland v Lincoln City (15:00)
MICHAEL SALISBURY
Mark Pottage and Steven Meredith
Fourth Official : Darren Bond
Reserve AR: Mark Dwyer

The manager that took us out of the Conference called it a "poxy league".

That was specifically related at the administration of it. We’d missed the playoffs by four points after a five point deduction due to a load of nonsense over fax machines and phoning up the Conference to confirm Eddie Hutchison was registered.

As fans and a club, we learned that we had no divine right to get out of that league by the end.

We’d missed the playoffs by four points after a five point deduction due to a load of nonsense over fax machines and phoning up the Conference to confirm Eddie Hutchison was registered.
There was a little bit more to it than that. We legitimately made a massive cock up and were rightfully punished for breaking the rules. Was quite a delicate situation and was somewhat spun outwardly, but internally everybody knew it was our mistake. Ultimately it wouldn’t have happened if we had just registered EH at the start of the season, rather than trying to force him out by refusing to do so. The potential for error didn’t need to be there to begin with.

Those were some seriously dark and horrible days...

Pragmatically it would be better if Sunderland won this. There’s not much between the two sides quality-wise so there isn’t an obvious tougher opponent if we get to the final. Thinking about threats next season and I know Appleton’s a master at this, but their loan signings have been particularly outstanding even for him this season (Johnson will be playing first team football for Forest next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Albion kept both of theirs involved either and Rogers should be playing higher up/abroad next year). That’s some serious quality to lose. Sunderland will always be competitive in League One. So a final where we either get promoted or lose a big hitter (L1 next season already looks tougher next season) is probably the best outcome.

Apparently Wigan have a promotion bonus written in to the sale contracts of Will Grigg and Max Power at Sunderland.

even though Grigg has been playing at MK Dons f or half of this season. I wonder if he is back and available for the play-offs?

I would be surprised at that - but having watched Sunderland till I die, and seen how mind-bogglingly unprofessional the whole Will Grigg deadline day signing was, it's not a shock at all!

Stewart Donald is surely a lovely man, and a great supporter of the yellows in some tough times, but he was also a completely mug of a football chairman. Whoever was negotiating at Wigan back then (the administrators?) clearly saw him coming from a mile away!

As much as I like Michael Appleton, and believe he’s done a great job at Lincoln on a relatively small budget. I really hope we make it to the final and play Sunderland. It would be absolute karma, for us to beat them, and at the final whistle all the lads go running over and slide in front of there dugout to celebrate. It would be the perfect way to for us.

I think the team talk has been done by Max Power.

and at the final whistle all the lads go running over and slide in front of there dugout to celebrate. It would be the perfect way to for us.

I think the team talk has been done by Max Power.
To be fair that’s what a bunch of Mackems are saying over on the readytogo smb forum.

Jesuz H, some of the posters on there make Kip look cheerfully optimistic........
And on the total opposite view, the very first post I read...

"And, let’s face it, if we can’t get the better of Lincoln and either Blackpool or Oxford, we deserve Third Division football."

Sums up their entitled attitude perfectly.

Plus this gem...

"Unusual similarities to the Pizza cup semis.
Sunderland v Lincoln
Oxford v Tranmere.

Ok, Blackpool are in place of Tranmere, and despite loosing to them twice, I think that on our day we can beat them comfortably.
Nothing to fear from any of them."

Last edited:

"And, let’s face it, if we can’t get the better of Lincoln and either Blackpool or Oxford, we deserve Third Division football."

Sums up their entitled attitude perfectly.

Plus this gem...

"Unusual similarities to the Pizza cup semis.
Sunderland v Lincoln
Oxford v Tranmere.

Ok, Blackpool are in place of Tranmere, and despite loosing to them twice, I think that on our day we can beat them comfortably.
Nothing to fear from any of them."
Come on Lincoln.

Literally speaking they are of course correct.

If they don't beat Lincoln, then us or Blackpool, then they will be playing 3rd division football, which is what they will deserve on footballing merit.

Back
Top Bottom