Fan's View Fan's View 2021/22 - No.19 - Ipswich away

I like Norwich for this:

The sending off was particularly enjoyable.
I remember going to Norwich on a foggy day sometime in the 80s - you couldn't see the far goal from the away end (and only just from the half way line), so it seemed like good fun to start cheering at random times implying that a goal had been scored. I also think Aldo was sent off but I'd no idea for what - he just appeared out of the fog at some stage!

I remember going to Norwich on a foggy day sometime in the 80s - you couldn't see the far goal from the away end (and only just from the half way line), so it seemed like good fun to start cheering at random times implying that a goal had been scored. I also think Aldo was sent off but I'd no idea for what - he just appeared out of the fog at some stage!

Like the midweek home game in the 90s when we couldn't see past the halfway line from the London Road.

Bristol City? Famous one against Wimbledon in 83/4 as well

That is what my memory suggests but could be wrong. Wasn't that the season we had the TV scoreboard that worked once or maybe twice and was never used again?

That is what my memory suggests but could be wrong. Wasn't that the season we had the TV scoreboard that worked once or maybe twice and was never used again?
That scoreboard was awesome.... Until they tried to use it in the day and you couldn't see it 😂 then they put 2 small ones in the London Road under the roof which stopped working after about 3 games 😂

That scoreboard was awesome.... Until they tried to use it in the day and you couldn't see it 😂 then they put 2 small ones in the London Road under the roof which stopped working after about 3 games 😂

Do you reckon they just went to Radio Rentals for the TVs and then stacked them hoping it would work? The planning meeting for that must have taken about 5 mins.

Spot on summary as usual Paul. Enthralling game of some top quality football but splattered with some league 1 errors.
What a great ground Portman Road is. Mainly built in the late 60's early 70's. Our seats had a great view, no pillars obstructing the view, and a downward sloping roof to help with the acoustics producing a good atmosphere. Four separate square stands close to the pitch. An idiosyncratic building in the corner above the tunnel.
There are plenty of characteristics in this old ground that I would love to be incorporated in our new stadium, rather than have an "Architect's pretty looking one dimension dome shaped" stadium.

Back
Top Bottom