Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/1/2020 OUFC V Ipswich Town L1 +++

I hope we’re not going to do a typical Oxford and f**k up a good season we don’t seem like ourselves at the moment maybe the players are feeling fatigued

Sounds like we had a few chances at the end. Couple of weeks left to do some business and smash this league.

Will take that I think we are going to get better with injured players returning COYY

I think we were unlucky that our first game starting with the likes of Holland, Taylor and Browne all in the team was one in such poor conditions - it was a game for battling (which we did well, to be fair) rather than slick moves and speedy counterattacking. Even so, there were enough combinations from our attacking players and speedy runs forward to make me think that when we get a game on a good pitch in nice weather we will be very dangerous.

Browne looks excellent, all action tackling and breaking forwards, good passing too. Would be happy to see him in midfield or out wide. Long also was very solid, constantly heading the ball away. Taylor showed why he should start instead of Mackie. Second half Holland came alive and he will be dangerous I’m sure.

As long as nothing goes disastrously wrong this team will win more than it loses and if it all clicks, could be devastating...

I'd forgotten what third tier football used to look like. Ipswich seemed to think they were a volleyball team.

Happy to get through that without a loss, I suppose. But looking at the table, we need to get our groove back fast. Could drop to 9th if the games in hand go against us.

When we aren't allowed to play at our rhythm, we look panicky. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the de facto setup of most teams we play from now on. We need to find a way to deal with it.

The last 5 or 6 matches have not been good. And there is unfortunately a pattern of play that causes that. United's whole attacking system relies heavily on the wingers. The teams we have lately been playing have simply set out to cancel the effect of the wingers. Since our whole attacking policy relies on them the best we can hope for is a 0-0 draw. We don't have any aerial ability up front so route one is out. We don't really have an creativity in midfield (though Baptiste does his best). Unfortunately unless the opposition stop targeting our wingers I can't see any improvement. We have now played two of the top teams at home and one point out of six is not promotion form.

Ref looked alright in difficult conditions( only saw half the match}

I hope we’re not going to do a typical Oxford and f**k up a good season we don’t seem like ourselves at the moment maybe the players are feeling fatigued

I've said before, we do tend to have great years every so often, but seldom have great seasons.
I think we'll be alright though, Rotherham and Ipswich are the 2 best away sides in this league, we;ve got plenty of games left.

Strange game, because of the conditions I guess.. It all felt a bit flat, neither team really got going. I am concerned about how we seemed to be second to every loose ball again though. And again we looked toothless up front. Maybe Im being harsh though..

Browne was good at times and Baptiste showed flashes of what hes capable of. Taylor battled well and showed good touches and flicks but looked isolated most of the time. The rest of the team were competent I suppose, nothing more nothing less. I just we could be a bit more on the front foot to the loose ball though, its all a bit ‘after you Claude’, a bit too polite somehow. We need to snap in a bit more for me. Either that or just anticipate things better, not sure which it is?

Maybe Im just feeling a bit frustrated at getting only the one point from a possible six from these last two important league games. Before the Rotherham game we all said they would be a good gauge to just how realistic our promotion aspirations are, I’m not sure we’ve actually learnt much from them though?

Well done to the ground staff for ensuring the game went to the finish. I actually thought the ref handled the situation well. Loved Robinsons enthusiasm to keep it on, I think he was even out forking the pitch at one point! ?

Back
Top Bottom