Ref Watch 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic - Jeremy Simpson

How was todays ref?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The one decision that he made that sticks in my mind, after about 20 mins Sean Clare sitting on his backside waving his arm in the air as if he was seriously injured. He stopped the game, Clare then refused treatment and got up and carried on as if noting had happened.

Clare had some beef with someone in the SSL for some reason as well, not sure if it was connected to that incident or not

Very poor just to card happy 7 yellows in total half way through just waiting for a red that was the way that was going it's a 1 from me
Started issuing cards like confetti, then realised that if he carried on it would end up 8 a side and then became lenient. Fouls in the second half would have got yellow cards in the first half. First half he was very picky, free kicks from the exact blade of grass and by the end so long as you took it in the right post code it was ok. You can understand why players get so frustrated, the rules of engagement literally changed during the game
Was a typical poor League 1 referee, I'm sure they don't set out to ruin games but they just do.

He was atrocious. No consistency at all, bought more than one blatant dive while not giving others that looked far more obvious. One of my biggest bug bears with refs is not playing advantage, there was a bit in the first minutes of the second half where we had a throw but another ball came onto the pitch. Murphy went and knocked it off, we took the throw to him but the ref called it back, as if Wigan weren't ready. Not our fault or problem. He also completely missed the fact that Matete took the free kick at least 10 yards further forwards from where he was fouled for our second goal, I'd be a bit pissed off if I were a Wigan fan although it was nice to see us take a quick one, I've been banging on about that for a while.

Started issuing cards like confetti, then realised that if he carried on it would end up 8 a side and then became lenient. Fouls in the second half would have got yellow cards in the first half. First half he was very picky, free kicks from the exact blade of grass and by the end so long as you took it in the right post code it was ok. You can understand why players get so frustrated, the rules of engagement literally changed during the game
Was a typical poor League 1 referee, I'm sure they don't set out to ruin games but they just do.
Simpson plys his 'trade' mainly in the Championship, with a few L1 and cup games in his gigs

I actually thought he was OK in the first half, if a bit fussy. However, in the second half he was woefully inconsistent, in part because, as someone has noted above, I think he realised that he would end up dishing out red cards if he kept going the same way. Agree with Zero, he was far too influenced by whether the player stayed on his feet - so Wigan learnt to fall over..

There was that extraordinary moment when Wigan took a quick free kick. Hughes spotted it and nicked the ball. and Simpson blew up for a non-existent offence because it wasn't the kind of thing he liked happening in his games as far as I could see.

What was going on with the ref second half when a Wigan player was down injured but play was carrying on, he then stopped it for the injured player to get treatment but then after gave them a free kick where the injured player was? if he didnt give the foul how did they get a free kick?

Back
Top Bottom