Ref Watch 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage - Tom Nield

How was his performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
didn’t give 2 penalties. For the penalty Stevenage players were inside the penalty area despite telling them to get out.

Massive decision he didn't see and got wrong.
1 0 and a different game
Other than that he was fine
But....

Weak. Poor. Let far too much go. Should have booked their 23 I think it was for constant, repeat fouling.

1 min added on first half should have been 3-4, that’s crazy, and 5 mins added in second half should have been 6-8.

Every single penalty decision was wrong. We should have had the first two but not the third.

Weak with their timewasting at the end. Got some throw-in awards wrong even.

Truly, genuinely, unbiasedly terrible. Pathetic.

All 4 of them were totally useless on and off the pitch.
The Stevenage coach spent the bulk of the match on the touchline- the official didn’t reprimand him once .
Minus from me

A generous 3. That was never a pen on RR and never a free kick on CB. Lots of shirt and arm pulling not punished in the name of advantage, but that just encourages them to keep doing it unless you’re willing to flash the cards.

I can understand why the ref couldn't clearly see the first penalty because the keeper's body is in the way BUT what was the linesman doing?! He had a perfect view. If that had happened up the other end it would have been given. Then they ignored the handball in the box in the second half. This one is debateable because the ball clearly hits the arm but you could argue it was in a natural position. The penalty that was given was clearly a foul outside of the box and was probably given to even things up and save face.

Terrible ref and equally woeful assistants. Wasn’t a tough game to manage either but they failed in all their key decisions. Thankfully it was live on TV and earned plenty of National ridicule.

Abysmal.
They missed the most blatant penalty I`ve not seen given for a very long time - Spurs supporting mate sent a text asking how it wasn`t given. I replied "Div 3 refs".
The handball I`ll agree with that it wasn`t a pen.
Then the one he gave was nothing more than a leveller to take the heat off.
Apart from getting the important things wrong and missing/ignoring the petty stuff it should have been a simple game to ref.

A very poor 2.

Is there even a slim chance that, having been exposed on Sky TV, he might get called in for a few words on his performance? No? Probably not. Just "one of those" days eh?

I gave him a 4 he wasn't the worse I've seen the linesman should of gave the first pen and I don't think that was hand ball either but there was some odd calls and the pen we got he just evened up the pen as he would of seen his lineman error in the first half at half time and that pen we got was outside the area EFL officials at their best I'm afraid

Would be fun at the end of the season to actually try and award a 'wrost reffing performance of the season', because there have been some shockers this year, it feels more than most.

Sam Purkiss at home v Port Vale really stands out for me still (though he was admittedly subsequently very good, I though, in the draws against Bolton and Shrews).

Best for me I think was that ex-MLS ref on NYD v Charlton. Seemed to really let the game flow but kept a tight leash on it.

A Trevor Kettle-esque performance. Thought the cameras were at the game to see him.

Would be fun at the end of the season to actually try and award a 'wrost reffing performance of the season', because there have been some shockers this year, it feels more than most.

Sam Purkiss at home v Port Vale really stands out for me still (though he was admittedly subsequently very good, I though, in the draws against Bolton and Shrews).

Best for me I think was that ex-MLS ref on NYD v Charlton. Seemed to really let the game flow but kept a tight leash on it.

It was Sebastian Stockbridge in the 2-2 home game with Wycombe, by an absolute mile!

Blew up to give us a free kick despite Sparky being clean through on goal; gave three dodgy penalties (two for them, one for us) - one of which was for a handball, when he'd ignored an identical incident earlier in the game; and he generally strutted around for 90 minutes like a fat, self-satisfied peacock.

If there's one active ref I would never like to see again, it's him.

Back
Top Bottom