Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll be shouted down. Elliott.
I’ve never been convinced by Moore and IMO for us to go up a level I would say we need better than him at CB. He doesn’t and never really has fitted in to the way managers want to play by bringing the ball out the back.
He got away with being the sitter when he had McNally next to him but Brown is too similar and neither of them can really bring the ball out.

I didn’t think Moore was one of the worst tonight but it does surprise me how many people on here think he’s really good. He’s got absolutely no pace, can’t really dribble and is only average at passing the ball. He’s simply not at the level of Nelson, Dickie, Atkinson or McNally.

Compare him to Bolton’s number 5 tonight, Santos, and it’s chalk and cheese.

What a shambles this season has become. Given our recent results I'd say our true position is probably about 18th - anyone above is likely to get somewhere between 1 - 3 points off us.

I think this is a rather large nail in the coffin for the dream of an Oxford born manager.

Been months and you don't see any patterns of play, structure in build up, fluidity, you can't even tell what the actual plan is. Is it just get it wide?
W must be the easiest team to defend against at the moment.
I'd argue we have 3 of the top 10 midfielders in league one. WE DON'T PLAY THROUGH MIDFIELD. They look like they've never been on a pitch together before. Even Robinson's teams, whilst they weren't overall successful, you'd know we'd probably win the battle in the middle of the park.

The frustration is unquantifiable at the moment. Might as well see it out to the end of the season, but I think we need to start planning for managerial replacements now.

I’ve never been convinced by Moore and IMO for us to go up a level I would say we need better than him at CB. He doesn’t and never really has fitted in to the way managers want to play by bringing the ball out the back.
He got away with being the sitter when he had McNally next to him but Brown is too similar and neither of them can really bring the ball out.
Theyve got nothing in front of them to pass to, its a team problem not a centre back.

He got away with being a sitter long before McNally was here. He was never supposed to be the dynamic one of the CB pairing. I actually think he's OK for this level, but not beyond and we definitely need better alongside him to make the most of his ability. The fact that KR thought (for two years). that Stuart friggin Finlay was the answer shows just how badly he'd lost the plot.

Hey ho. .if Ox4d didn’t have bad luck these’d have no luck at all.

Difference between the teams was at least 2 divisions tonight. They were championship we were L2/conference. Bit like watching pub football at times. Positioning errors, miscommunication, giving the ball away easily……the list goes on.
It hurts to say ‘Slug Exvans’ summing up was pretty much spot on. “Despite having some pretty good players, we were outclassed as a team in every respect”

My Birthday today. But it was the Bolton player (one of the numerous scorers) who also had a birthday today who arguably had the best presents…

No panic though….easy games coming up. Bottom of the table Vale and a stuttering Lincoln..🙄😱

Last edited:
My issue with him is he is so niche. He cannot be asked to move more than 10 yards out of position or he looks completely lost. Again, Manning was really clever with his management to put Sam Long so tight to him - they played in each others pockets for good reason.

He’s got a very small skill set that has value but that’ll be why, as you say, he doesn’t suit many managers as they need more from him.

Back
Top Bottom