Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing a football match will not mean the end of the world. Paying respects after 70 years it really isn't such an issue.
No authority telling anyone how to spend their time just my personal thoughts on the weekend .
The Queen was patron of the FA and they have decided this is the most respectful course of action .
The FA and EFL are the authorities telling us what to do. This is about choice and allowing people to mourn, pay respects or even grieve in the way that works best for them.

What you choose to do is up to you, and there will be many choosing to pay their respects to the Queen on Saturday. But there are also many who have already paid their respects or will do so in their own way who would liked to have the choice to spend their limited leisure time going to watch the football, especially when they weren’t allowed to choose not to go into work today.

And as few others have said in the thread already, all they’ll be doing instead of going to the football is staying at home. If we’re talking a state funeral or a memorial service then it’s an entirely different ballpark, but it’s not like there’s some specific event going on between 3-5pm tomorrow that demands everyone’s attention away from the football.

The FA and EFL are the authorities telling us what to do. This is about choice and allowing people to mourn, pay respects or even grieve in the way that works best for them.

What you choose to do is up to you, and there will be many choosing to pay their respects to the Queen on Saturday. But there are also many who have already paid their respects or will do so in their own way who would liked to have the choice to spend their limited leisure time going to watch the football, especially when they weren’t allowed to choose not to go into work today.

And as few others have said in the thread already, all they’ll be doing instead of going to the football is staying at home. If we’re talking a state funeral or a memorial service then it’s an entirely different ballpark, but it’s not like there’s some specific event going on between 3-5pm tomorrow that demands everyone’s attention away from the football.
I think this is more like marking the occasion ceremonially, not expecting people to do a specific thing. Like the shops close at Christmas, and used to close on Sunday out of respect for God. I don't think it's a biggie either way, though I'd be cross if we were at home!

But couldn’t they just do that when football does resume? And aren’t they in fact now more likely to as it has interfered with their lives?
I'm sure they will, but if it happened this weekend, just after Her Majesty has passed, then the FA would (wrongly) get criticised for the decision.

As for your second point, I completely agree. I think, whilst the intention of this decision is good, the consequence will be that more people will resent the Monarchy, and those that do already will resent it further.

I was going to the game tomorrow, I won’t be able to go on Tuesday evening. Postponement due to weather is hard to take, this is disappointing and avoidable. I’ll now be sitting at home tomorrow when I could have been paying my respects at a football game. It’s ridiculous.
Same with the air show, the queen loved a fly past and scrapping the event isn’t showing any respect.

Its a difficult line - the National organising bodies will be run by people who think far differently to those stood on the terraces.

Within both groups, as within society as a whole, individuals will have differing opinions and different ways of mourning.

She was a constant for 70 years and the impact of her death is not to be underestimated.

Its a difficult line - the National organising bodies will be run by people who think far differently to those stood on the terraces.

Within both groups, as within society as a whole, individuals will have differing opinions and different ways of mourning.

She was a constant for 70 years and the impact of her death is not to be underestimated.
Or, for the sake of balance, overestimated.

I am going to the gym in the morning, do the weekly shop then to the pub later for a bit of lunch and a few pints. It’s not Covid (and that was s**t enough), you don’t have to stay home, nearly everything other than football is running so it makes a bit of a nonsense of it, to show respect we are apparently just having our leisure choices limited a bit.

Personally on reflection feel that today and yesterday were days to stop stuff and show respect, then till the day of the funeral get back to normal then shut everything down for that day.

This seems a fairly trivial matter to me. I don’t think I show any disrespect by suggesting those who want time to mourn can do so by choice without livelihoods going on hold; particularly where it’s at the cost of hourly paid workers during a cost of living crisis. Saturday isn’t the be all or end all but I suspect this will impact various things over the next fortnight; rightly in some cases I’m not a monster.

Agree with others that this feels a little bit forced on a population with a lot going on outside of their appreciation for our Queen. In this modern world it seems odd to put certain things on hold to make absolutely certain people are mourning. I suspect she would be very touched by millions of people from all backgrounds getting together to sing her name in unison in stadiums across all the UK towns and cities. We’ve seen football is capable of sending powerful messages and would get kids asking about Her Majesty in a much more positive light than they may do now as a result of their day out at the football being cancelled.

To be honest I’m surprised the EFL could make a decision in this short time when they’ve taken months to decide if our takeover is allowed.

To be honest I’m surprised the EFL could make a decision in this short time when they’ve taken months to decide if our takeover is allowed.
I don’t believe the delays have anything to do with the EFL- it’s the shareholders

This seems a fairly trivial matter to me. I don’t think I show any disrespect by suggesting those who want time to mourn can do so by choice without livelihoods going on hold; particularly where it’s at the cost of hourly paid workers during a cost of living crisis. Saturday isn’t the be all or end all but I suspect this will impact various things over the next fortnight; rightly in some cases I’m not a monster.

Agree with others that this feels a little bit forced on a population with a lot going on outside of their appreciation for our Queen. In this modern world it seems odd to put certain things on hold to make absolutely certain people are mourning. I suspect she would be very touched by millions of people from all backgrounds getting together to sing her name in unison in stadiums across all the UK towns and cities. We’ve seen football is capable of sending powerful messages and would get kids asking about Her Majesty in a much more positive light than they may do now as a result of their day out at the football being cancelled.
I’m sure the deprived kids will get over it.

I am struggling with the concept that, if I attend a football match, I am not showing respect to the monarch.
I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that.
This is the first ruling Monarch to die in 71 years and as such, many of the associated mourning traditions have carried over.
I guess the Queen should have been more considerate and passed away on a Monday !

I’m sure the deprived kids will get over it.
That’s not really the point though… If I took my little boy to Anfield on Saturday, for example, and 60k fans are belting out the national anthem together at the top of their lungs, he’s far more likely to remember that and ask questions than if he sees her face on the news at home while building a Lego tower.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that.
This is the first ruling Monarch to die in 71 years and as such, many of the associated mourning traditions have carried over.
I guess the Queen should have been more considerate and passed away on a Monday !

That would only be true if every sport was stopping this weekend though?

That’s not really the point though… If I took my little boy to Anfield on Saturday, for example, and 60k fans are belting out the national anthem together at the top of their lungs, he’s far more likely to remember that and ask questions than if he sees her face on the news while building a Lego tower.

You have chosen a terrible ground as an example there 😂.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom