• SUB: Browne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: Henry

• SUB: Stevens

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will absolutely single you out, but this could apply to a number of posters on here.

Why does everything positive need to be turned into a negative?

Mark Harris has scored 17 times this season. I said that you wouldn't bet against him getting 20+. At no point did I say that they must be league goals. Or penalties don't count. Or headers count double or f**k all else.

Mark Harris scores in bursts and is not only looking in form, but has changed his game to be in much better goal scoring positions and is getting the rewards for this. If that continues in the next 4/7 games then we will have a much better chance of getting the results we need, and might just get promoted.

But a handful of posters on here are desperate to P**s on every parade. Every positive from yesterday is countered with "we might lose the next four games 5 nil" type nonsense from some. I honestly wonder whether some have got so entrenched in their misery that they are unable to find happiness in anything anymore. It's like a board full of Eeyores at times!!!

I hope that Oxford keep winning and Harris keeps scoring, and the fact that that seems to trigger some of our esteemed posters will make it all the sweeter!

You've got problems pal.

I've posted 3 times since yesterday, all of which are 'positive'. In fact, the above post of mine that you've replied to is very much positive.

Simply pointing out that '20 goal a season striker' always has and always will refer to League goals. You know that. Facts matter. Harris is doing great, why you need to lie to boost his credentials further - only you can answer.

For you to pathetically go on a rant and once again pigeon-hole other posters as negative because you can't handle being pulled up for your inaccuracies says so much more about you than anyone else.

You are so very precious.

And an insufferable bore.

If you truly think that there are multiple people who not only choose to spend their time posting on an Oxford United forum but also pay to go to and/or watch online Oxford United games, and yet in your mind those people are ‘triggered’ when the team they support win and a certain player scores then you’re so deluded I really don’t know how to engage with you.

You've got problems pal.

I've posted 3 times since yesterday, all of which are 'positive'. In fact, the above post of mine that you've replied to is very much positive.

Simply pointing out that '20 goal a season striker' always has and always will refer to League goals. You know that. Facts matter. Harris is doing great, why you need to lie to boost his credentials further - only you can answer.

For you to pathetically go on a rant and once again pigeon-hole other posters as negative because you can't handle being pulled up for your inaccuracies says so much more about you than anyone else.

Excellent post.

That last sentence is the most apt description given to anyone on this forum - ever.

The problem is, Scotchers, is that you are so unreasonably positive every time is that you become something of a self-parody.
There’s no harm in being realistic rather than one-eyed. Yes, Murphy is playing brilliantly - we all agree. Yes, Harris’s goals are really welcome after his mini drought. Yes, Moore is an underrated defender. All currently true. We can all celebrate that.
But, for heaven’s sake, there are occasions when we have been indescribably poor (which is why we are where we are, and not top.) There have been occasions when Sam Long has been absolutely murdered by the opposition winger. But you refuse to acknowledge it. So your comments become something of a joke. Nothing illustrated this more than your continued defence of Robinson well past his sell-by date.
I prefer to read those posters who can see BOTH sides of the argument and moderate their opinions.

In his post match interview last weekend Sparky said his target was twenty goals across all competitions. He’s on track to hit that which is great news… it’s also topical to be referring to that target rather than just the league goals.

Burton fans clapped Murphy off and didn’t leave in their droves before the whistle; fair play to them.

It’s pretty embarrassing that we haven’t sold out our last two fairly local away days. Also disappointing is the atmosphere at the Kassam and belittling of the opposition on here. ( Conference level) really?!

My first away game was a Crewe away game on the way to promotion and the flags and atmosphere drew me in. This is an opportunity we thought we might not get but Des has his team around him and key players are reaching form at just the right time for more success..

My 0-2 forecast was thankfully wrong. Not sure if I underestimated Des or overestimated Burton. Probably a bit of both.

The big question now is do we start the next game with the same formation? Not sure we can answer that until we know the situation with Cam. Even with Cam it could leave us too open through the middle. Would Des be brave enough to change it after 15 minutes if we’re overrun?

Should we do the opposite? Start with two in midfield to allow us to weigh up Posh in the first half. Then change to 4-1-4-1 later in the game.

If Cam is fit I’d retain the current setup. Whichever Des chooses it’s just nice to be part of the promotion equation.

Just watched the game back. It was a decent performance, with Murphy being particularly good. He's reminiscent of Thierry Henry or Marcus Rashford in the way he plays, and his goal was very much in their vein. I have to say though that our defending from Burton's throw in which led to his goal was atrocious!

Josh McEachran did well, not quite the drive of Cam but won the ball several times and played some good passes. The other subs who came on later were steady and it was a good build up to Henry's goal, which we only see on the replay as iFollow was showing a replay of Burton's good chance. The game went a bit flat after that, although I thought Burton's sub down the left wing caused more problems than anyone else of theirs had.

Harris had a good game, not just his two goals but setting up chances for others too. His first goal was from a similar mistake to Moore's header against Fleetwood, the difference being that he finished it well. Tyler could have had a couple with a bit more luck.

I think we should stick with this system now. It's unlikely we'll keep clean sheets against the better sides and I think we'll need to score 2-3 to have a chance of winning, so let's go on the attack. It also means that our full backs can do what they're best at, especially Long and Bennett, i.e. staying back and defending, without having to try to get forward too often.

Just to get statistical.....

Des' record against teams in the bottom third of the table on merit (so moving Reading up, because they would actually be squarely mid-table without the points deduction):

P10 W8 D1 L1

Des' record against teams in the top two thirds of the table on merit:

P16 W1 D7 L8

When all the doomsayers were saying everything was over a month ago, I was bringing out this stat to show that we still had a chance because we had a really easy run-in. Sure enough, 13 more points from 15 against five bad teams, and we're back in the driving seat. Des has produced genuine automatic promotion form against the really bad sides since he got here (everybody slips up every now and again......)

Now I'm bringing out the same stat to illustrate the main worry - which is that we've really struggled against the good, and even the average, sides since he got here. Really, really struggled. The great results lately against the dross shouldn't lead us to ignore the fact that in the middle of all that, we got utterly humiliated by Bolton.

We've got some great attacking players, and they're now in great form. But my worry is, and has always been - what happens when we come up against a side with a strong and powerful midfield? This currently formation - which, let's face it, is basically four defenders, five attackers and one in the middle - has proven to be terrific against sides that can't string three passes together or do anything to counter quality pacey attacking play. Will it work against anyone who's any good? Especially if it's Josh McEachran in the middle, rather than Cam?

We're going to find out when we play three competent sides in six days next week, and it's going to define our season!

In the last 4 games we have scored 11 goals against 3 of the bottom 4 and conceded 1, of which 3 have been away. Lets not get carried away, those were about the worse teams we have played all season and would struggle in the Conference. Beat Peterborough and Lincoln next week then we can really say we have turned a big corner.

Des' record against teams in the bottom third of the table on merit (so moving Reading up, because they would actually be squarely mid-table without the points deduction):

P10 W8 D1 L1

P16 W1 D7 L8

When all the doomsayers were saying everything was over a month ago, I was bringing out this stat to show that we still had a chance because we had a really easy run-in. Sure enough, 13 more points from 15 against five bad teams, and we're back in the driving seat. Des has produced genuine automatic promotion form against the really bad sides since he got here (everybody slips up every now and again......)

Now I'm bringing out the same stat to illustrate the main worry - which is that we've really struggled against the good, and even the average, sides since he got here. Really, really struggled. The great results lately against the dross shouldn't lead us to ignore the fact that in the middle of all that, we got utterly humiliated by Bolton.

We've got some great attacking players, and they're now in great form. But my worry is, and has always been - what happens when we come up against a side with a strong and powerful midfield? This currently formation - which, let's face it, is basically four defenders, five attackers and one in the middle - has proven to be terrific against sides that can't string three passes together or do anything to counter quality pacey attacking play. Will it work against anyone who's any good? Especially if it's Josh McEachran in the middle, rather than Cam?

We're going to find out when we play three competent sides in six days next week, and it's going to define our season!
I’m wondering if this post needs to be deleted Tonyw, you know there is no room for any pessimism or any negativity in any shape or form on this forum right now!

How could you possibly post such a meaningful and statistically accurate assessment that sets things out perfectly!

Last edited:
I’m wondering if this post needs to be deleted Tonyw, you know there is no room for any pessimism or any negativity in any shape or form on this forum right now!

How could you possibly post such a meaningful and statistically accurate assessment that sets out things out perfectly!
Not sure that is remotely pessimistic or negative.
It is purely based on statistics and facts?

You've got problems pal.

Sir Andy

Think you are being a tad harsh on Scotchers, yes he has a positive mindset but I don’t think he is precious or an insufferable bore.
He is in fact the antidote to @greatunclekip who tends to be on the negative side.

But when all is said and done we need the likes of Scotchers and Kip and everything in between on this forum, that’s what makes it the best.

The team has done the easier bit (as TonyW illustrates) - we are decent against poor teams. They've now got the difficult bit to do, although to my mind if they can't get the required results at home, with something to play for and a couple of confidence building results behind them, we don't actually deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

Roll on Peterborough, Lincoln and Stevenage that's going to be some week 3 home games two under the lights one our last 3pm.kick off of the season get there if you can let's make noise and plenty of it

Unfortunately I won't be at Wembley on the 18th of may but I hope the yellows are

Dea has proven alot of people wrong we now have an identity you can see how he wants to play and it's existing

Yesterday was a great day out Murphy was amazing again Harris was on song Jmc put in a solid performance.... Burton were shite it has to be said I think they will be playing league two next season

Sir Andy

Think you are being a tad harsh on Scotchers, yes he has a positive mindset but I don’t think he is precious or an insufferable bore.
He is in fact the antidote to @greatunclekip who tends to be on the negative side.

But when all is said and done we need the likes of Scotchers and Kip and everything in between on this forum, that’s what makes it the best.
I think the aforementioned parties should put their differences aside and support the one thing that is key to the future of OUFC - the new stadium.

The big question now is do we start the next game with the same formation?

I’ve changed my mind on this since yesterday.

I was minded to swap back to a double pivot to solidify the midfield, but with us having a week off and them playing twice before we meet, I’d stick with the formation even if Cam’s not fit.

They may be a bit weary come their third game in 6 days, and the last thing they’ll want to come up against after that is Murphy, Dale and Harris springing quick attacks.

We could run them ragged and put it to bed by half time.

P16 W1 D7 L8

Would be very interested to see this broken down in to home v away results.

Since Des took over we’ve drawn at home with Bolton and Portsmouth, lost by one goal to Derby having been 2 up early on (I know that doesn’t tell the whole story of that game!), lost to Barnsley…

But all in all, my gut feeling (happy to be proved wrong) is that we’ve done better at home against top 10 sides than we have away from home under Des - eg Peterborough, Bolton.

And given the relative league positions of the sides in those games, I don’t think much more you can ask for than one loss in three games against the current top 3.

However, context is vital. As much as the ‘unbeaten in 7 games’ (6 draws and a win, or whatever it was) narrative earlier in the season was a little disingenuous, we seem to be a much improved, more cohesive side off the back of some really promising performances; the ‘vibes’ seem to a be a lot more positive now.

I almost feel like the Peterborough game is something of a free hit ahead of the massive one against Lincoln - the way we’ve been playing, is inclined to chuck everything at Peterborough to try and take a bit of pressure off the Lincoln game.

Agree let's take advantage of their activity and our inactivity - Posh were playing (and won) today, then they have a game on Weds vs Vale who hopefully will be scrapping hard and give them a tough game.

Then we go at them full pelt next week, all of our pace and power going forward hopefully.🤞🏽

GKfhU0LW4AAH0Bz
Have Oxford Utd ever had a quicker player than Josh Murphy?

He’s absolutely rapid with blistering speed (and power). He’s a machine running at full pace with the ball.
I’d say Hackett, Manny and Yemi have got to be up there.
Chrissy Allen was no slouch either!
More recently Brandon Barker was lightening quick but didn’t have the end product!
I also believe it was Fin Stevens who recently listed GOD as the quickest in the squad which did surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom