Home Match Day Thread +++ 01/02/2020 L1 OUFC V Blackpool FC +++

Very sensible caller just on I think he was called jon

Yes the 3 callers John, Matthew & Tim all with good football insight, and realistic about off field matters. Whereas the chap Paul who comes on most weeks and clearly likes the sound of his own voice just talks in riddles and contradicts himself from one week to the next.

Yes the 3 callers John, Matthew & Tim all with good football insight, and realistic about off field matters. Whereas the chap Paul who comes on most weeks and clearly likes the sound of his own voice just talks in riddles and contradicts himself from one week to the next.
He gets the off button treatment in the car. Would rather listen to finger nails being dragged down a blackboard

Well, it seems Browne can play up top can't he? Thought he physical, skilful and thoughtful today and fully deserved the selection. It was a nice finish from him:

Other than that, Madine's miss was spectacular. Bottled it. It was an uneven performance from us, over did it in possession at times, were too careless with the ball but both CBs did well. Felt sorry for Gorrin for the persistent offending booking as there was plenty of similar stuff that didn't get the same focus from the Ref. We didn't miss either of the players who moved on today - good to see Henry back and Thorne/Kelly get some minutes.

A scruffy 3 points but I'll take them

The constant tippy tippy at the back dosnt put the other time under pressure, it means that the midfield are having to turn all the time to get going in the right direction

Marcus Browne was an excellent example of what is required from the lone striker role. He held it up, he ran the channels, created space for others and scored one and a half goals.
He scared the pants off the Blackpool defenders with his movement.
If he is happy to play there, then we could profit tremendously.

Just in,
Briefly 1st 10 minutes late retry poor, the remaining 35 mins we were worth our 2-1 leads but the 2nd half we have to be grateful to Ruffels and Henry and Eastwood 2 goal lining clearances and Easty doing enough to out of the Blackpool player from a 1 on 1 to score from Mackies back pass.
But 3 points which we need hopefully will put us in good form against the Posh. Well done Marcus you played well as did the team overall.
A special mention for Sykes who was going out on loan he has earned his name on the team sheet every week.

Important and well deserved win today.

I thought Long had one of his best games from an attacking perspective*. His touch was much more assured and he looked to to play passes into feet rather than settling for long balls down the line more often.

Browne looked very dangerous as a central striker. He definitely has the physical attributes to play the position, so maybe with a bit more coaching he could do it regularly. At least it's another option in that area of the pitch!

In general I thought that most of the team put in decent performances today. It's obvious that Brannagan is still not back to full fitness, and I think Holland needs to assert himself on games a bit more (sure that will come), but on the whole there was lots to be happy with about today's performance.

I really hope we go for it on Tuesday. A good performance (and maybe even result) against Newcastle will do a lot to bring some of the feelgood factor that has been lost over the last couple of weeks.

*just on Long, I heard a couple of callers on RadOx say that he gets a lot of stick, which I disagree with. Almost all supporters acknowledged what an excellent squad member he is and you'd be hard pressed to fine someone who would argue he ever lets the team down. My personal view is that he lacks quality on the ball and doesn't offer enough from an attacking perspective, but I certainly saw improvements in that area today so long (ha ha) may it continue.

I still think we're desperately short of depth defensively mind!

On to the next one. COYY

Back
Top Bottom