Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/1/2020 OUFC V Ipswich Town L1 +++

You can’t have be

You can’t have been there for the first half on Saturday then.

tonight was a reasonable performance in anti-football conditions.

Positives included:

Mous - colossal at the back and leads the team so well.
Gorrin - Breaks up play and tonight was no exception
Baptiste - his vision! He’s seemed to see things no one else on the pitch saw at times.
Browne - looks to have more physical presence this year and I think as a 10 he will become hugely influential. He was my MOM tonight by a distance.

Negatives:

Eastwood - Looks short on confidence. He’s simply not as commanding as he needs to be and looks indecisive at times which breeds nervousness.
Long - defensively he’s reasonably sound but his lack of attacking threat and limited delivery is a cause for concern. Reinforcements required ASAP.
Ruffles - thought he was extremely poor in and out of possession 1st half but improved a touch in the 2nd. Looked a little fatigued to me (understandably!) cover and squad rotation would be beneficial I think in the left back position.
Fosu - Give the guy a break Robbo. Can’t help but feel we are flogging him to death atm and I think his performances have tailed off so much that it’s no coincidence.

take the point tonight and let’s go get three at Gills. It’s not the most salubrious away end but let’s back the boys in big numbers - they deserve it! COYY’s!
I thought you were the guy who knew all about football. ? Both our full backs were excellent last night and Eastwood did nothing wrong either, The problem defender for the last couple of games has been Dickie.
I’d sell Fosu; he looks burnt out to me.

Gorrin is positionally very sound and Cam B looked to be running freely when he came on ; best sight of the night.
Ipswich pretty workaday but had better players for the conditions; we look a little fragile in tough playing conditions.

will take a point though.

and a word for the ref - he dealt excellently with the abandonment situation. He had to stop the game after that midfield pileup , the balll was sticking in the pitch and wasn’t playable at that stage of the evening. The fans who gave him the bird were idiots.

I thought you were the guy who knew all about football. ? Both our full backs were excellent last night and Eastwood did nothing wrong either, The problem defender for the last couple of games has been Dickie.

Gorrin is positionally very sound and Cam B looked to be running freely when he came on ; best sight of the night.
Ipswich pretty workaday but had better players for the conditions; we look a little fragile in tough playing conditions.

and a word for the ref - he dealt excellently with the abandonment situation. He had to stop the game after that midfield pileup , the balll was sticking in the pitch and wasn’t playable at that stage of the evening. The fans who gave him the bird were idiots.
Fosu looks burnt out so you would sell him? Surely, given his previous form, the sensible option would be to rotate/rest him to try and help him recover that form.

Fosu looks burnt out so you would sell him? Surely, given his previous form, the sensible option would be to rotate/rest him to try and help him recover that form.

Was a perfect opportunity to rest him last night by starting Skyes on the right and Holland on the left, but no, we play for another 90mins in those conditions which really isn’t his game.

Impossible to play football in those conditions, especially first half. You could see players from both teams were reluctant to try and get the ball down and play (although I'm not sure Ipswich would've tried to anyway).

Ref was very good I thought, and handled the crap conditions perfectly. Fans understandably want to see a game of football but some have obviously never tried to play in those conditions.

Sam Long was a deserved man of the match, excellent defensively. People that like comparing him to Cadden should also acknowledge how much more Long wins and deals with at the far post from crosses from the other side of the pitch.

Robinson should tell Fosu to have a week chilling in the sun somewhere and recharge the batteries for the final few months. Although his replacement - Holland didnt impress me last night, but I'll put that down to the conditions.

That was a travesty of a football match last night. To be fair, I think the referee was right to question the validity of the playing surface at the time.
The conditions were atrocious and for a team that like to pass it around, it became a joke.
Not that either side want another rearranged fixture.
Drawing conclusions in that cowpatch last night would be daft, but Ipswich looked bang average to me but then again we were not too great either so to measure how we are getting on? forget it.
On a night where two passes strung together was commendable, one thing stood out.
We really miss James Henry (and Cadden).
Let’s hope that our mojo returns soon. Because our form of late has been a little worrying.
We are not the free-running powerhouses of a couple of months ago, so the sooner that we can find our way back to that slick Winning machine that swaggered to the top of this league the better.
Forget this one, perhaps we can re-light the candle at Gillingham?

I thought you were the guy who knew all about football. [emoji6] Both our full backs were excellent last night and Eastwood did nothing wrong either, The problem defender for the last couple of games has been Dickie.

I thought Ruffels was terrible last night, especially the first half he was all over the place.
Long was okay defensively but not good at all going forward with his passing.

Don't know how anyone can say we should have won and it's impossible to judge Ipswich on 1 game let alone in those conditions

I actually thought Fosu played well last night. Frustrating at times, but show me a winger that isn’t. If you watch closely, you’ll see that opposition instructions are to get 2/3 men on him as soon as he receives the ball. So maybe he’s not ‘burnt out’, maybe he’s just not being allowed to play as freely as the start of the season [emoji2371]

The pitch conditions improved because it stopped raining....ridiculous decision to take the teams off all because of a fantastic sliding tackle.....the games gone to the pansies........ffs

Come on.... it was laughable at time. That ball hardly traveled in the middle of the pitch. It was a mess.

Why do you have such a problem with taking 10 minutes to allow the pitch to become more playable and help improve the ability to play some football?

Ref was right to take this decision.

so many mistakes in that game,its the worst ive seen us this season.

We were well below par. Clearly the conditions played a huge part, having to play in that wind on a very wet and heavy/slippery pitch, but we have been out of sorts for a few games now.

This is our little wobble before we push on to the end of the season I hope. We just don’t seem to have the same confidence or belief at the moment. BUT, I am confident we can sort it given what we have shown we can do previously. Just got to unlock that belief again.

Thought Ipswich were equally struggling with the conditions and are also having their wobble (over the past 8 games or so). They didn’t look great at all.

Draw was fair result, otherwise it was always looking like a sneaky 1-0 either way.

Still expect both teams to be up there come end of season and the away fixture likely to be another 6 pointer.

Longs deserved MOTM, some people around me were questioning it.

Ruffs had a bad first half but improved a lot in the second half.
For me, Long has a lot of work to do on his distribution - I'm not saying he can't do it or isn't capable, but it's been obvious in the past couple of games the difference between Cadden and Long going forward - of course the loss of Henry hasn't helped. I can see why Robinson wants someone else in to provide competition.

The same could apply at left back too.

The clock on the scoreboard stopped on 27 mins (18 mins left to play), then was restarted when the game got underway? He added a few more mins on for incidents during the "additional time".

I don't see the error?
We played a good few minutes after the 18 minutes were up. The game didn't really stop for the length of time that was added on in the first half over the 18. I wondered if we were playing through ?

I actually think in the last couple of games Robinson has got his tactics a little wrong. I think after Saturday he panicked a little and went all out with a quick attacking team which the conditions were not great for. Ironically after starting Mackie on Saturday and his poor performance, this was probably the most Mackie type of game you could get. In addition, Sykes was arguably our best player on Saturday and was unlucky not to start and came on too late in my view.

I thought Ruffels was terrible last night, especially the first half he was all over the place.
Long was okay defensively but not good at all going forward with his passing.
But in fairness to Ruffels he brought a damn good save out if the Ipswich keeper

Back
Top Bottom