Away Match Day Thread 01/01/24: L1 - Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Who was the MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very watchable blog. Surprised you don’t have more subscribers . Very fair analysis and very aware of your opponent.

What are your thoughts on Methven?

Regards Appleton he ended up with a strong set of players but he started very slowly. You need to give him time but judging on the vibe from today looks like he’s unlikely to survive long. Charlton strikes me a little has having a bit of a toxic atmosphere for a few years now and some stability and lowering of expectation may be useful to reduce the pressure and allow someone to start rebuilding. You’re definitely a club worthy of being at a higher level, and we know from dropping to the conference how the psychology of the fans can become a negative factor or a truly positive one once you make peace with your lot.

Ps final score graphic on your video is wrong. You have it as 1-1. 😜

Pps can we have Dobson? Are their bigger clubs circling for him ?
When Appleton came, we had a team of long ball merchants, we went to Cambridge on a televised game and were demolished, by new year we spent 25% of our budget getting rid of dross. He exploited the loan market brilliantly, starting our journey of bringing in young talent, improve them and sell them. The team he assembled that season was League 1 ready in League 2. He did a great job with us and created our current identity. But we were his only real success and left to be assistant at Leicester when the realisation that Eales purse had been shut.
I suspect he would do well again because we have mega rich but patient owners.
History shows he has never done well in an ownership shitfest, I suspect with Methven, Charlton are still in turmoil.

Yep. I think it was Stevens wasnt it? The Harris goal has definitely been over shadowed by Smyth's which is understandable but a shame. I am a broken record but he deserves his goal because of his work rate all season and hope this kick starts a few more. We still need a classic striker though.

Quick shout out to @Braziliance - great lad, good insight and I genuinely hope your club gets out of its rut.
Thank you mate, really appreciate that. So do I of course..

Décent vlog and that sense and feeling of despair that any real football fan experiences over the years coming through. I genuinely feel that glory hunters miss out as without the despair, the moments of success never feel quite as special!

Thanks mate. I always try and keep it as neutral as possible. Just banking that one day we will be less pants.

Another vlog….incredible prediction on 1min 30secs from his first interview….

How’s he done that???

Josh and Tom, good lads and speak to them both. He predicted it as we haven't keep a clean sheet in something like 12 games? Only had 3 all season and have conceded numerous 80+ minute goals 😂 he knows what to expect now

Typical Evans comments, his teams foul, bully, cheat and use anyway to win. When it gets punished he blames the ref. Thomson’s foul defines his team, his odious assistant gets sent off for two yellows shows their management ways are to try and threaten and coerce the officials.

And Steve Evans got a yellow card as well.

Really pleased with that result, the lads deserved it.

Stick with it troops, not so quick to get all negative.

Up the U's!

• React
Reactions: m
Really pleased with that result, the lads deserved it.

Stick with it troops, not so quick to get all negative.

Up the U's!
I agree with that. A very professional showing, the first few minutes excepted, and good management of limited playing resources by DB. Smyth looks big, strong, mobile, and aware and his best settled position may be defensive midfield, as others have commented.

When Appleton came, we had a team of long ball merchants, we went to Cambridge on a televised game and were demolished, by new year we spent 25% of our budget getting rid of dross. He exploited the loan market brilliantly, starting our journey of bringing in young talent, improve them and sell them. The team he assembled that season was League 1 ready in League 2. He did a great job with us and created our current identity. But we were his only real success and left to be assistant at Leicester when the realisation that Eales purse had been shut.
I suspect he would do well again because we have mega rich but patient owners.
History shows he has never done well in an ownership shitfest, I suspect with Methven, Charlton are still in turmoil.
Appleton did a great job with us and had one good year with Lincoln, other than that it’s been a story of poor choices, clubs with problems and perhaps, chasing the money. I can certainly understand why there was little initial enthusiasm at Charlton and I, for one, was happy enough he didn’t come back here.

I said we needed to bring in Smyth and it looked to be a great choice although we didn't have many options. I've always kinda rated him as he clearly has flair and ability like Sykes. He was really down the pecking order with Manning and the red card he received coming on as a sub (vs Vale I think) did not help but this is a great opportunity for him to leave his mark as a versatile midfielder that can push for a regular first team place.

Last edited:
I said we needed to bring in Smyth and it looked to be a great choice although we didn't have many options. I've always kinda rated him as he clearly has flair and ability like Sykes. He was really down the pecking order with Manning and the red card he received coming on as a sub (vs Valve I think) did not help but this is a great opportunity for him to leave his mark as a versatile midfielder that can push for a regular first team place.
He also had a very solid game at right back against Forest Green, albeit it in the trophy but just looks a better and more adaptable option than, say, Gorrin. Sometimes you need a break, maybe this is his.

Appleton did a great job with us and had one good year with Lincoln, other than that it’s been a story of poor choices, clubs with problems and perhaps, chasing the money. I can certainly understand why there was little initial enthusiasm at Charlton and I, for one, was happy enough he didn’t come back here.
Says it all for me tbh,

I always wondered why you lot never got him back after you've had the vacancy for him a fair amount of times and I am of the firm belief you've moved on as a club from the standard of manager he is.

I believe we should be as well but for some reason some our fans want him to have access to a transfer window when we haven't won in 10 games, have been eliminated in the FA cup by a pony League 2 Gillingham side, dumped out of the papa John's by Reading who are having a poor season.

He's shown nothing to prove he can do the job which in my eyes is only promotion in League 1 yet some of our fans are content. Lost for words sometimes how far my club us fallen.

As a few Oxford United fans have said on my video though, yous know about punching well below your weight in fairly modern history, isn't easy.

Says it all for me tbh,

I always wondered why you lot never got him back after you've had the vacancy for him a fair amount of times and I am of the firm belief you've moved on as a club from the standard of manager he is.

I believe we should be as well but for some reason some our fans want him to have access to a transfer window when we haven't won in 10 games, have been eliminated in the FA cup by a pony League 2 Gillingham side, dumped out of the papa John's by Reading who are having a poor season.

He's shown nothing to prove he can do the job which in my eyes is only promotion in League 1 yet some of our fans are content. Lost for words sometimes how far my club us fallen.

As a few Oxford United fans have said on my video though, yous know about punching well below your weight in fairly modern history, isn't easy.
I think OUFC are his only club where he hasn’t been sacked

If playing that system you will find the RW and LW will play just off the striker and not as wingers. We had Bodin and Rodrigues in those positions earlier in the season
That’s really what I interpreted today’s formation to be. The wingers (Bran and Rodrigues!) played more narrow than you’d expect of a winger but if they stay too wide you negate your own threat from the wing back area and that’s where we really hurt Charlton today.
I don’t fully agree with this.

Of course, in a 3-4-3 the wingers are going to need to cut inside, as otherwise they’ll be occupying the same space as the wingbacks when attacking, but that doesn’t mean that you have to play slower ‘midfielders’ in the front three. Browne and Murphy, for example, could thrive there. I can’t be bothered to check but I’m sure we played wingers there at some point this season under Manning,

On the turnover, in transition, I’d argue that you’d actually want your wingers to be able to quickly get high and wide in a 3-4-3, as if not you can get a little defensive and deep if your wingbacks are pinned back. They can then make runs inside once the wingbacks attack and overlap.

I get your point though that it can suit Rodrigues as well, I think it was just that I personally like him just off the striker, or deeper. I guess the only player that it might not suit at all is Mills, but I wonder if he’d be lined up as RWB in games where we’re expected to dominate the ball.

I think if given the time and backing Appleton will come good again.
He's shown with us he can get a good team together playing attractive football, and also that higher level clubs let their players come on loan to get EFL match time / players moved from those clubs to get EFL match time.

It is perhaps easier and cheaper in league 2, though our player signings and wages weren't cheap, offset by some decent transfer fees received.

League 1 is harder to get out of, but smaller teams like Wycombe and Burton have played in the Championship recently. Luton have made it to the EPL, Ipswich are firmly in the Championship play-offs and Sunderland in the top six as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom