EPL VAR

VAR

• Keep It

• Remove It

• Don't Care

Results are only viewable after voting.
As a general rule I’d say;

TV companies, TV presenters, TV Pundits and TV armchair fans love VAR. It creates controversy and things for Lineker et al to pontificate about.

Fans that travel hundreds of miles and pay good amounts of money to actually attend games, who collectively create the atmosphere that makes the game what it is hate VAR. These fans are totally taken for granted.

Games will slowly become a bore fest with constant stoppages in play, constant referrals, the spontaneous excitement of scoring a goal eroded.

Sadly the genie is out of the bottle and the game is worse for it.

Already happens at PL games where the already dismal atmosphere is further eroded by a short cheer for a goal, then everyone thinks "Oh, better hold on for VAR"....... absolutely killing the reasons anyone goes to watch football.

Still it creates pauses to throw in more adverts and similar cark.

I`m just glad we were in Div 1 when football was far more honest, real and affordable. :)

Going well then................

How did the referee give that? The player couldn’t do a thing about it. The ball hit his chest after being struck from 3 feet. Disgraceful.

How did the referee give that? The player couldn’t do a thing about it. The ball hit his chest after being struck from 3 feet. Disgraceful.
I think the rules are different in Europe. In the Premier League it wouldn't have been given, but I don't think the rule about it not being handball if it hits another body part before the hand applies in Europe.

I'm not too bothered though, can't stand Newcastle these days!

I surmise its all about body shape and natural position.
In my mind he`s stretching out a leg to make the tackle and using his arms naturally/for balance when the attacker reaches the ball first and kicks it at him, ball hits chest and shaves his arm on the way, what is he supposed to do? Tackle with his arms behind his back?

I surmise its all about body shape and natural position.
In my mind he`s stretching out a leg to make the tackle and using his arms naturally/for balance when the attacker reaches the ball first and kicks it at him, ball hits chest and shaves his arm on the way, what is he supposed to do? Tackle with his arms behind his back?

The idea of an arm/hand's natural position in football is based on fantasy not reality. Basically football requires defenders to have no arms.

Go back to a judgement call by the on-field Ref on whether it is deliberate or not. There were controversies before but not with this frequency.

I wonder if it would have been given if it was the other way round ( PSG winning) I highly doubt it but hey ho. VAR isn't the problem it's the dopey officials in charge of it that are

I wonder if it would have been given if it was the other way round ( PSG winning) I highly doubt it but hey ho. VAR isn't the problem it's the dopey officials in charge of it that are

I'm not sure it is particularly the Officials most times, more the law itself.

As said above, go back to deliberate/not deliberate or alternatively just go straight to if it hits the hand/arm then its handball, no exceptions.

Football is a fairly simple sport. It's the overanalysis of it that is the problem, and VAR is the result of that overanalysis.

You won't ever get universal agreement on any refereeing decision. All VAR does is open decisions up to another group of people looking at it.

I'm not sure it is particularly the Officials most times, more the law itself.

As said above, go back to deliberate/not deliberate or alternatively just go straight to if it hits the hand/arm then its handball, no exceptions.
They brought in all the complicated scenario based rules because previously deliberate/not deliberate was considered subjective. How do you really judge whether a footballer, who is likely trying to con you/acting "professionally" has deliberately handled the ball unless they catch it?

Going well then................

I think that has to be the worst VAR decision yet. I'm all for it in principle, but it's overused.

It should be used sparingly - Germany v England 2010 ghost goal for example.

They brought in all the complicated scenario based rules because previously deliberate/not deliberate was considered subjective. How do you really judge whether a footballer, who is likely trying to con you/acting "professionally" has deliberately handled the ball unless they catch it?

Fairly easily when I was reffing and a lot less complicated than the present scenario. The present law means the Refs have to be experts in body movement and how the limbs move to determine a 'natural' or 'unnatural' position. They clearly aren't that so unless the Authorities start employing actual experts on the mechanics of how a player's body moves for such decisions, then it is effectively a layman guessing and remains as subjective as before.

Lots of decisions in football are subjective so why is handball any different? VAR has added a layer of subjectivity anyway with effectively having 2 Refs making key decisions with different interpretations whilst handball remains as subjective as it ever was.

Also, the handball rule was effectively changed because of VAR and controversial handball decisions happen regularly now.

Some valid points. Let’s say VAR is removed tomorrow, we are at Wembley in the playoff final next May vs I dunno Barnsley for example. They score a dubious goal, and VAR would have prevented the goal, instead they get promoted and we are to stay in Lge 1. You wouldn’t feel upset about it.
Another thing I disagree with. We spend all season playing league 1 games without VAR but then all of a sudden it’s ok for a league 1 game to have VAR just because it is at Wembley.

Yes we will moan about refs and their shocking performance but that has always been part of the game. There has been a clamp down on abuse of referees which is right.
Human error is part of the excitement of football. Do we honestly want referees to be like robots?

I’d also argue that if a team feels hard done by if they don’t get a penalty or another decision then it actually spurs them and the crowd on.

We are 4 years on from the 1st season with VAR and it is actually worse than it’s ever been. Just cut it loose.

I think the rules are different in Europe. In the Premier League it wouldn't have been given, but I don't think the rule about it not being handball if it hits another body part before the hand applies in Europe.

I'm not too bothered though, can't stand Newcastle these days!
This is the crux. That was always likely to be deemed a penalty in Europe as despite the laws being the same the interpretation is very different between us and Europe. Personally I would remove ambiguity I would make handball any impact with the arm or hand and offside remove the being active or interfering parts.

There will always be humans in charge of VAR, humans always means human error. The sport is subjective and down to the interpretation, so VAR can never ''work'. Certainly not in a way acceptable to me or most matchgoing fans.

There will always be humans in charge of VAR, humans always means human error. The sport is subjective and down to the interpretation, so VAR can never ''work'. Certainly not in a way acceptable to me or most matchgoing fans.

I dunno - AI can already write your essays, read your X-rays and drive your car (well.....drive a car, maybe not your car).

At the current rate of progress, I'd estimate 5-10 years before VAR gets automated.
AI could probably already do offside decisions more quickly and more accurately than humans. Just need to build some models and feed it some more data on handballs and good challenges/bad challenges and away you go.......

Watched 2 examples of what I thought were red cards not given on VAR. The Luton player on Foden, he didn’t even get booked let alone a red. And in the Spurs game Romero’s over the top tackle.

I agree, how were they not reds ? Both were foot up and studs in to the opponents ankle/foot. On what basis are they going to say the next over the top studs first challenge is a yellow, red or nothing at all ? I’m seeing no different in those two challenges to, quite literally, hundreds that have been given straight reds this season and the previous 20 to 30 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom