General VAR consistency?

Actually got around to looking up the latest offside law as per the FA website

The gist of it is probably as understood ie - any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent, however there are caveats and the one that makes the Bamford one even more baffling is "The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered".

In which case, surely he was not technically or actually in an offside position?
Ah, but you are missing the bit where the powers that be have decided that the body is t-shirt shaped - you can legally score with the top part of your arm apparently. So what you and I might call a part of an arm is actually a sort of droopy bit of shoulder/body. If you can score with it, then it can be offside.
So they somehow managed to see from the VAR footage in all of it's between frames, was the ball still in contact with the foot glory that a minuscule part of that bit of droopy shoulder was about 2mm in front of a fairly arbitrary line.

No, me neither.

Scouse derby - chap taps it in from 3 yards, having got between the defenders and stuck out a leg at pace, Goodison goes mental.....................nope, hold on......

VAR - offside by next to nothing, about 1/2 a boot length.

Ruining the reason people go to a match.

Just watching Man U v Real Sociodad, who have been awarded and scored a pen. The pen was given when a shot was thumped at a Man U defender, who fell over at is came towards him and twisted as he did so. The ball hit the player on the knee, and deflected up onto the back of his upper arm. The player wasn't looking at the ball at all. The ref gave a pen and VAR confirmed it.

While I am never adverse to seeing goals scored against the Mancs, it was clearly an error on the part of the ref. If VAR is supposed to be for correcting 'obvious errors' that certainly was one!

After the peculiar VAR decisions of the weekend, is it time to completely rethink how this is implemented? Maybe (like tennis and cricket) only allow VAT when a team calls for it - maybe one appeal per half? With a 'referees call' for ridiculously close decisions?)

Just watching Man U v Real Sociodad, who have been awarded and scored a pen. The pen was given when a shot was thumped at a Man U defender, who fell over at is came towards him and twisted as he did so. The ball hit the player on the knee, and deflected up onto the back of his upper arm. The player wasn't looking at the ball at all. The ref gave a pen and VAR confirmed it.

While I am never adverse to seeing goals scored against the Mancs, it was clearly an error on the part of the ref. If VAR is supposed to be for correcting 'obvious errors' that certainly was one!

After the peculiar VAR decisions of the weekend, is it time to completely rethink how this is implemented? Maybe (like tennis and cricket) only allow VAT when a team calls for it - maybe one appeal per half? With a 'referees call' for ridiculously close decisions?)

Or just bin it altogether.

That is one of the very worst VAR decisions you’ll ever see. Should have taken no more than two seconds to overturn it. To not overturn it really does raise some serious questions about on and off pitch officiating. Looks like our ineptness in this country is now spreading to the rest of Europe.

Well yes - but they simply won't do that, so the alternative is to try and get it working properly (as in tennis, cricket and rugby).

Then write absolute rules, if it hits the hand then it is handball, accidental or deliberate. Make the rules for Dummies. As VAR officials have demonstrated that even with many replays they still get it completely wrong for obvious decisions.

Or really limit its scope even more, say for offsides and possible red cards only for example.

Then write absolute rules, if it hits the hand then it is handball, accidental or deliberate. Make the rules for Dummies. As VAR officials have demonstrated that even with many replays they still get it completely wrong for obvious decisions.

Or really limit its scope even more, say for offsides and possible red cards only for example.
It certainly spoils the PL i see , mainly just MOTD. It should be used to spot genuine offsides, ie feet at least six inches offside, not eyebrows or hands, and penalties and other serious fouls.

It certainly spoils the PL i see , mainly just MOTD. It should be used to spot genuine offsides, ie feet at least six inches offside, not eyebrows or hands, and penalties and other serious fouls.

Based on Man Utd's game last night then I'm not sure on the penalties bit tbh.

Do you think they'd ever get rid of it? Feels like a "its here now, live with it" thing. Can't see it entering league 1 for a good few years though.

Do you think they'd ever get rid of it? Feels like a "its here now, live with it" thing. Can't see it entering league 1 for a good few years though.
They were in talks to bring it into the EFL from next season but a VAR light version what ever that means.

If they do that then I feel sorry for whoever has to sit and watch Crawley vs Stevenage!

They were in talks to bring it into the EFL from next season but a VAR light version what ever that means.

If they do that then I feel sorry for whoever has to sit and watch Crawley vs Stevenage!

They can P**s off. Could you imagine Robert Madden making VAR decisions?! He'd make decisions that would give him maximum publicity so it was all about him.

Spurs....................... VAR.............. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Talk about ruining why anyone goes to a game!

I rarely watch MoD but have chance today.

Already had 2 goals wiped off by VAR - 1 being so obvious you have to think WTF was the lino doing with a Forest player standing about 5 yards offside.

Interviewing a player after who openly said "I felt contact and it was enough to go down"............. then I think of the likes of Shotton & Briggs when players REALLY "felt contact"

Games gone.........

The VAR offside decisions have become ridiculous.

That Liverpool one from a while back - the defender only had to desperately try and head it because Salah was standing right behind him! He was massively interfering with play, because he made the defender head it, which somehow made Salah onside - ridiculous.

And then the Rashford one for Man Utd vs Man City… wow. Absolutely insane decision. Never seen someone interfering with play as much as Rashford was there! The rule needs sorting out

Back
Top Bottom