General VAR consistency?

Bit of VAR controversy in the Burnley game. Bournemouth thought they scored but disallowed and Burnley score. Ooof

A summary of what is wrong with VAR. How far do you let play go before you review a decision?
Should have stopped it there and then.
Instead, the fans that are there think Bournemouth equalise, nope......... dragged back for a penalty and you are 2-0 down.
What a mess.

A summary of what is wrong with VAR. How far do you let play go before you review a decision?
Should have stopped it there and then.
Instead, the fans that are there think Bournemouth equalise, nope......... dragged back for a penalty and you are 2-0 down.
What a mess.

Problem there though is the ref obviously did not see the handball or deemed it not to be so would have no reason to stop the game..if you go down that route there will be stoppages every minute or so.

Technically a correct decision. The law can be an a**e but if you can score with the top of the arm then it is rightly the point for offside to be judged from.

They are trying to change the interpretation of offside in this country iirc to something similar to the Eredivisie.

The drawing of the lines and frame rates however...

Technically a correct decision. The law can be an a**e but if you can score with the top of the arm then it is rightly the point for offside to be judged from.

They are trying to change the interpretation of offside in this country iirc to something similar to the Eredivisie.

The drawing of the lines and frame rates however...
It's crap though , this case is rubbish. Common sense anyone these days ??

A couple of things with this.

Has the other Palace defender only got one leg? Where's the other one?
Also the ball is out of focus, so you can't actually tell what frame it was kicked.

If in doubt the benefit should go to the attacking team.

Glad we don't have VAR, but the Portsmouth winner today was clearly off-side.

To be fair VAR on points of fact like that offside are fine. The player was offside, the goal was disallowed fair enough it is a fact it was offside according to the law so really not much of a problem I see here. Unless we want to fall back to the referees decision is final which i am happy with but everyone else was saying how crap referees were i didn't and i still think they are pretty decent now.

To be fair VAR on points of fact like that offside are fine. The player was offside, the goal was disallowed fair enough it is a fact it was offside according to the law so really not much of a problem I see here. Unless we want to fall back to the referees decision is final which i am happy with but everyone else was saying how crap referees were i didn't and i still think they are pretty decent now.
Are you really believe that if a players finger is ahead its offside even though not any advantage? Stop goals because of technicalities...not my idea of how football should be played

The problem is offside isn't a point of fact due to the frame rates problems etc for when the lines are drawn. There have actually been studies on it.

It is, as you say, a technicality ‐ because of the way the rule is written or interpreted. If the pertinent part of the offside law were to be rewritten to state (for instance) that a player is offside when there is clear daylight between the torso of the attacking player and the second last defender, then incidents like this can be viewed differently.

Once again the technicality and official rule/law is completely irrelevant. The speed at which the striker is moving means the margin of error is too large to conclusively say he is offside, regardless of any new laws. You can't judge an offside by millimetres when the margin of error is far greater.

It's an absolute farce.

Actually got around to looking up the latest offside law as per the FA website

The gist of it is probably as understood ie - any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent, however there are caveats and the one that makes the Bamford one even more baffling is "The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered".

In which case, surely he was not technically or actually in an offside position?

Back
Top Bottom