General The Illusive Fans Forum

Sarge

God like member
We are well overdue for an open , live Fans Forum - we were 'promised' one before the end of last season. It hasn't happened yet. Why not?

Could be wrong here but arent there supposed to be 2 a year/season?

IMO so much has happened since we were promised a Fans Forum, if and when GF & TW eventually agree to hold one , trying to squeeze a FF before a home match would not be a reasonable enough time for the multitude of questions to be raised and answered by those in a position to do so. Meaning the best option would be of an evening , with 2-2.5 hours set aside. Hook up with zoom so it can be fully inclusive.for those who are based further afield. Even without Stadium matters included ( we have the Stand United zoom meetings monthly) I think the next fans forum will exceed 2 hours.

I would hope @OxVox and @OUSP Secretary will be pressing the powers that be to hold a Fans Forum as soon after a new manager is appointed as possible

I know when it comes to the new stadium we have looked at what Brighton did around their stadium, it would also be worth while if Tim or Grant had a chat with their chief executive, Paul Barber. Just listened to him on TalkSport and not only does he sound a well measured bloke who is at a club with a clear plan in place but he is also now off to hold a fans forum in London before their game against Arsenal today. He said it can be scary doing them as you have no idea what questions will be asked but they are important to have that connection with the fans and understand their issues.

Take note Tim, that’s what a top 30 club are doing.

I know when it comes to the new stadium we have looked at what Brighton did around their stadium, it would also be worth while if Tim or Grant had a chat with their chief executive, Paul Barber. Just listened to him on TalkSport and not only does he sound a well measured bloke who is at a club with a clear plan in place but he is also now off to hold a fans forum in London before their game against Arsenal today. He said it can be scary doing them as you have no idea what questions will be asked but they are important to have that connection with the fans and understand their issues.

Take note Tim, that’s what a top 30 club are doing.
Yep.

If you’re going to talk the talk (say, to an Athletic journalist) about being the best run club in the EFL, you need to walk the walk.

He’ll receive a few difficult questions. He’ll also receive some complimentary ones. All will be helpful in understanding the fan base.

It’s what good CEOs do. Walk the floor occasionally, get the temperature of the fans.

For example, if I fronted up, spoke in person to the fans, and five or ten of them let me know how they perceived the club’s actions with regard to treatment of fans selling merchandise, I’d speak with my Commercial Manager and take a lead. Fix it before it festers.

Likewise, if five or ten fans asked me how they could personally get involved with promoting the benefits of the stadium to the people of Kidlington, I would ask my stadium project team to get in touch with them directly to talk about how they could work together.

You don’t understand what fans want and feel if you don’t talk to them. Not just those who have boxes, not just those in hospitality. Real fans who are the reason the club exists.

Be better, Tim.

Last edited:
I think they’re hoping we’ll just forget about this and it’ll go away. They’re probably also hoping the new supporters panel something or other will be a good substitute. It won’t, give us a proper forum where we can directly put questions to the CEO and chair.

Perhaps the club officials see a Fans Forum as something to fear and yet, with the myriad variety of support and therefor ideas and suggestions, surely listening to the fanbase and entering into a discussion of the club's affairs can only be a good thing?

Perhaps the club officials see a Fans Forum as something to fear and yet, with the myriad variety of support and therefor ideas and suggestions, surely listening to the fanbase and entering into a discussion of the club's affairs can only be a good thing?
The most ridiculous element is that they would actually get a warm and positive response if they held one.

Things are generally going well and fan engagement right now is pivotal.

They’re leaning on an open door with this one - the lack of a fan engagement strategy is baffling for a club with Top 30 aspirations.

I genuinely don’t think they have the expertise at the club. That’s not me pitching for work either - it’s just basic stuff that even the most basic of communications strategies would improve.

I genuinely don’t think they have the expertise at the club. That’s not me pitching for work either - it’s just basic stuff that even the most basic of communications strategies would improve.
My belief exactly.

• React
Reactions: MJB
An object lesson in how not to do a fans forum.

Exhibit A - Swindon Town FC January 30th 2024.

Shambles is putting it politely - you have watch it to see the mess they are in.

The owner loses it big time in a couple of the exchanges.

There will only be a fans forum when there is some positive news to report on the stadium.

Whilst that is not the case Williams and Ferguson will hide and avoid answering awkward, difficult questions.

Come on folks, OUSP & OxVox have been delegated to sort it out.

By the time they have had several meetings and tried to pin down some senior bods to show their faces the season will be over.

Can`t have the board being on the front foot and encouraging customer interaction and activations can we...........

An object lesson in how not to do a fans forum.

Exhibit A - Swindon Town FC January 30th 2024.

The presentation was pure management speak rubbish. Very amused with Gavin Gunning's look of disdain when those in the crowd were complaining about the budget.

Back
Top Bottom