General Fans Forum - Kassam Stadium - 7th March @ 6.30pm

Erick Thohir has already previously owned Inter Milan and DC United, where he signed Wayne Rooney and built a stadium 50% bigger than the one planned for the triangle. He also owned the Philadelphia 76ers as part of a consortium including Will Smith. This stuff I’ve seen suggested recently about his FIFA ambitions being enhanced by building a little stadium next to Oxford Parkway for a League One club is just… well, it’s bananas. Frankly.

We’re most likely being used as a front to legitimise Indonesian politics. Throw in Benny Wenda and there’s plenty of reasons worth their while to be involved, but the sheer amount it’s going to cost them is starting to get out of hand. It’s not difficult if people fancy looking around for an hour. As for “the Oxford name”, these people are hereditary billionaires with entire skyscrapers named after their families in one of Asia’s most up-and-coming economies. They’re really not that starstruck by a few old buildings off the High Street.

Looking forward to the losses being announced publicly soon. Hope they’re not double what people are expecting.
This is the most "modern football" thing I've ever read on here. Panjang umur raja!

Looking forward to the losses being announced publicly soon. Hope they’re not double what people are expecting.

I guess that depends on what people are expecting. Grant made it clear that the owners have to put £5/6m in a year and without any significant player sales, cup runs or additional TV revenue, we are likely to see losses of around £4/5m I would guess.

Erick Thohir has already previously owned Inter Milan and DC United, where he signed Wayne Rooney and built a stadium 50% bigger than the one planned for the triangle. He also owned the Philadelphia 76ers as part of a consortium including Will Smith. This stuff I’ve seen suggested recently about his FIFA ambitions being enhanced by building a little stadium next to Oxford Parkway for a League One club is just… well, it’s bananas. Frankly.

We’re most likely being used as a front to legitimise Indonesian politics. Throw in Benny Wenda and there’s plenty of reasons worth their while to be involved, but the sheer amount it’s going to cost them is starting to get out of hand. It’s not difficult if people fancy looking around for an hour. As for “the Oxford name”, these people are hereditary billionaires with entire skyscrapers named after their families in one of Asia’s most up-and-coming economies. They’re really not that starstruck by a few old buildings off the High Street.

Get your point and could be right but think you're overegging your argument a bit. Oxford as a city and an 'idea' has cultural cachet around the world which very, very few other places can match. Particularly among elites in many Asian countries. Hard to imagine these same people doing the same things without the Oxford connection.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on what people are expecting. Grant made it clear that the owners have to put £5/6m in a year and without any significant player sales, cup runs or additional TV revenue, we are likely to see losses of around £4/5m I would guess.
Like I say, hopefully not double what you’re expecting.

EDIT: Mind you, the accounts about to be announced are for last year, so maybe it’s next March that will be the one to look forward to with particular interest.

Last edited:
Get your point and could be right but think you're overegging your argument a bit. Oxford as a city and an 'idea' has cultural cachet around the world which very, very few other places can match. Particularly among elites in many Asian countries. Hard to imagine these same people doing the same things without the Oxford connection.

Correct. I've done a lot of business in the Far East over the years. The Oxford 'name' is huge over there and has enormous appeal. Don't underestimate it as a factor in the investment.

I believe Anindya Bahkrie
Correct. I've done a lot of business in the Far East over the years. The Oxford 'name' is huge over there and has enormous appeal. Don't underestimate it as a factor in the investment.
Anindya Bakrie has children who attend Oxford University.
From Tiger onwards,the major shareholders have always referred to the importance of the “Oxford” brand.
Said Business School has a huge presence as you leave or approach the railway station.
I think we could see Bakrie & Brothers paying a substantial sum for the stadium naming rights.
They are hugely instrumental in pushing Indonesia along the renewable energy route.
Our stadium will be all electric.
A perfect fit.
Bakrie has huge charisma and is an inspirational character.
It’s a shame he’s not here more often and more visible when he is .

When that fraudster from the USA bought Oxford city and said same he was massively ridiculed on here as some hilarious comical Ali character.

Having been away, i have only just had an opportunity watch the Fans Forum. Firstly, i think it is really important to thank OxVox for their work in both organising and delivering a good event. They remain a voice that supporters should continue to support with vigour, during these relatively uncertain times.

My immediate thoughts were that the forum was pretty powder-puff in its actual content from the SLT of OUFC. We didn't get many answers to the pertinent questions.

We still do not know who is funding the stadium project. I would be amazed if CDC were willing to grant permission, without a warts and all breakdown of how the stadium is being financed. Furthermore and while unlikely due to the vast wealth of the Shareholders, it would be incredibly naïve to have Minchery Farm #2, that is laid dormant for a prolonged period due to financial deficiencies.
It is 'hoped' that planning will be granted in the summer. If that is the case, the club have roughly 4-5 months to come up with £130-£150 million pounds of funding. It sounds and feels like an eye-watering amount of money for a club of our size.

Personally, i thought the club skirted around OUFC's re-payment plan that is clearly going to be required on the stadium build. At some point in the very near future, and prior to an agreement being reached, i do hope that there is transparency around what the re-payment terms look like to OUFC, be it via OxVox or directly into the public domain. What % of our annual turnover will be expected to be re-paid? Will OUFC benefit from the stadium, hotel, gym and 'plaza' revenues 365 days a year (not just have 'access' to the stadium, as per the Kassam agreement, currently?)
If we benefit entirely from the commercial opportunities at the stadium, how are the funders going to recoup their substantial losses?
If OUFC do not have control over these income streams then how are we going to finance the build repayments AND be competitive on the pitch?

I noted that Restricted Covenants are in place that mean the stadium must remain for use by a football club for the term of the lease. That is great but the reply lacked detail. What protections are in place, should that football club (OUFC) become financially unviable/insolvent due to the ownership pulling their funding out? (See Dai Young at Reading for example) Will there then be the capability to apply for a change of use for The Triangle?

Colin did a great job of doubling down on the accounts aspect. It was interesting that Williams got particularly defensive. I would wager that this is due to the 'soft debt' continuing to rise at an alarming rate. Ultimately, debt is debt and the club need to explain how that is to be managed and reduced in the medium term. OUFC are not an attractive proposition to new prospective owners if we have north of £40 million of debt to repay to Shareholders in 5 years time - should they wish to recover some of their losses. I noted that they did not confirm that all of the money being ploughed in by the Shareholders will be converted to equity.

While this stadium project remains exciting, i absolutely think it is the time for all of us to be extra vigilant around the intricate details of 'the deal'. OUFC must be safeguarded in perpetuity against any foul play later on and while the noises and 'fluff' from Williams might placate some, there remain many pertinent questions that we do not have answers too.

If only we had Stratfield Brake...i dare say a number of the financing issues would have taken care of themselves, owing to the increased commercial opportunities that would have provided - bloody NIMBY's!

Last edited:
Having been away, i have only just had an opportunity watch the Fans Forum. Firstly, i think it is really important to thank OxVox for their work in both organising and delivering a good event. They remain a voice that supporters should continue to support with vigour, during these relatively uncertain times.

My immediate thoughts were that the forum was pretty powder-puff in its actual content from the SLT of OUFC. We didn't get many answers to the pertinent questions.

We still do not know who is funding the stadium project. I would be amazed if CDC were willing to grant permission, without a warts and all breakdown of how the stadium is being financed. Furthermore and while unlikely due to the vast wealth of the Shareholders, it would be incredibly naïve to have Minchery Farm #2, that is laid dormant for a prolonged period due to financial deficiencies.
It is 'hoped' that planning will be granted in the summer. If that is the case, the club have roughly 4-5 months to come up with £130-£150 million pounds of funding. It sounds and feels like an eye-watering amount of money for a club of our size.

Personally, i thought the club skirted around OUFC's re-payment plan that is clearly going to be required on the stadium build. At some point in the very near future, and prior to an agreement being reached, i do hope that there is transparency around what the re-payment terms look like to OUFC, be it via OxVox or directly into the public domain. What % of our annual turnover will be expected to be re-paid? Will OUFC benefit from the stadium, hotel, gym and 'plaza' revenues 365 days a year (not just have 'access' to the stadium, as per the Kassam agreement, currently?)
If we benefit entirely from the commercial opportunities at the stadium, how are the funders going to recoup their substantial losses?
If OUFC do not have control over these income streams then how are we going to finance the build repayments AND be competitive on the pitch?

I noted that Restricted Covenants are in place that mean the stadium must remain for use by a football club for the term of the lease. That is great but the reply lacked detail. What protections are in place, should that football club (OUFC) become financially unviable/insolvent due to the ownership pulling their funding out? (See Dai Young at Reading for example) Will there then be the capability to apply for a change of use for The Triangle?

Colin did a great job of doubling down on the accounts aspect. It was interesting that Williams got particularly defensive. I would wager that this is due to the 'soft debt' continuing to rise at an alarming rate. Ultimately, debt is debt and the club need to explain how that is to be managed and reduced in the medium term. OUFC are not an attractive proposition to new prospective owners if we have north of £40 million of debt to repay to Shareholders in 5 years time - should they wish to recover some of their losses. I noted that they did not confirm that all of the money being ploughed in by the Shareholders will be converted to equity.

While this stadium project remains exciting, i absolutely think it is the time for all of us to be extra vigilant around the intricate details of 'the deal'. OUFC must be safeguarded in perpetuity against any foul play later on and while the noises and 'fluff' from Williams might placate some, there remain many pertinent questions that we do not have answers too.

If only we had Stratfield Brake...i dare say a number of the financing issues would have taken care of themselves, owing to the increased commercial opportunities that would have provided - bloody NIMBY's!
100% this.

Back
Top Bottom