Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He even liked my reply when I said it was reported on here about an hour ago 😄

At least now referenced me as "someone who's called a lot right" in a reply to another tweet.

This does highlight the point I've long made about how easy it is to post something on twitter with a hashtag and suddenly people see it as gospel. It's the whole reason we see so many transfer accounts crop up over the summer then reappear around Christmas. The world we live in has so many people who thrive on the engagement they get through social media - the likes, the retweets, the @s.
Even when it's just repeating or reusing something seen elsewhere.

Doesn't anyone remember their teacher telling them to not copy the person next to them!

At least now referenced me as "someone who's called a lot right" in a reply to another tweet.

This does highlight the point I've long made about how easy it is to post something on twitter with a hashtag and suddenly people see it as gospel. It's the whole reason we see so many transfer accounts crop up over the summer then reappear around Christmas. The world we live in has so many people who thrive on the engagement they get through social media - the likes, the retweets, the @s.
Even when it's just repeating or reusing something seen elsewhere.

Doesn't anyone remember their teacher telling them to not copy the person next to them!
More to the point, it proves that a random
Rumour (made up) can be posted on here - then someone puts it on twitter as a rumour. Then someone on here goes oh it must have legs as it’s on twitter also (two sources - when actually it’s the same made up source) and goes in a vicious circle.
It’s a good demonstration on how easy it is to spread a rumour with no backing, this is the same 92 times over with every club and why the transfer window has become a game/business in itself - since everyone wants the latest and info first. Im as guilty as anyone - checking this thread way to regularly for essentially a load of nonsense. Won’t stop me checking again tomorrow though - we will never learn. 🤦‍♂

Rumour (made up) can be posted on here - then someone puts it on twitter as a rumour. Then someone on here goes oh it must have legs as it’s on twitter also (two sources - when actually it’s the same made up source) and goes in a vicious circle.
It’s a good demonstration on how easy it is to spread a rumour with no backing, this is the same 92 times over with every club and why the transfer window has become a game/business in itself - since everyone wants the latest and info first. Im as guilty as anyone - checking this thread way to regularly for essentially a load of nonsense. Won’t stop me checking again tomorrow though - we will never learn. 🤦‍♂
Reminds me of the time years ago that I started the rumour that Shaun Batt was going to sign for us. Can’t remember if it was misconstrued after I said he was a good player, or if I made up the club was interested in him. Either way, it spread through Twitter as a source and gained traction.

By any metric you choose.

Other than perhaps (some) fans expectations.
I generally agree with you on Rotherham - especially if triangle is in place. However, just to play devil's advocate, the metric I choose is "Seasons in Championship - e.g. 2nd Tier of English football - since 1999" :whistle:

I generally agree with you on Rotherham - especially if triangle is in place. However, just to play devil's advocate, the metric I choose is "Seasons in Championship - e.g. 2nd Tier of English football - since 1999" :whistle:

Awesome.

By THAT metric, we're as big as Man United, Chelsea and the Bindippers.

I ALMOST put my foot in it and wrote Man City, too...! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Remember when Baldock got injured and our promotion challenge died on its a**e?

Let's not leave it to chance.
You could argue it was the injury that broke the camel's back but it's a different scenario, particularly as Baldock is made of glass (which we knew before signing) and we have more robust players now. The point is more that our squad depth is better now so the premise that the season would end off the back of one injury is a tad dramatic. Don't mistake this for me saying we shouldn't get another striker in, improving the squad is always welcome.

Last edited:

My favourite bit is when some grade A f*****g moron pipes in with "no smoke without fire".

I mean I guess the account was just asking a West Ham contact whether there was any truth in it, rather than reposting it as gospel, but I still take the point that these accounts are how such rumours (valid or otherwise) spread.

In that case, we cannot play Beadle up front on Saturday. It would be a huge mistake. It’ll be the difference between winning and losing the game. It’s so important that we don’t make this mistake.
Exactly

Got to say I'm a bit disappointed the Coventry thing was a ruse, as funny as it was. At 23 he's never going to play for West Ham so he does need a move, however I doubt he'd drop down to us having had a taste of a bigger club on loan with Rotherham last season.

Got to say I'm a bit disappointed the Coventry thing was a ruse, as funny as it was. At 23 he's never going to play for West Ham so he does need a move, however I doubt he'd drop down to us having had a taste of a bigger club on loan with Rotherham last season.
Joey, Joey, Joey :devilish:

3 days to go let's hope today we get the player in and he's ready for Saturday.
Why ready for Saturday, specifically?

Do we have an undeclared injury we need to cover, or is it still just Browne out of contention for the starting 11? I'd imagine Perkins will cover that in any case. I also thought Mills did very well when he came on against Charlton and may get the nod over over Bodin this week....who drops to the bench and provides cover right across the front 3 and 10, along with Perkins.

Nice position to be in already!

Didn't hear that, but then again I can't stand Radio Oxford when the football is not on, it's dire!
I listen to R. Ox. only for the local news and sport.
When they called the Breakfast show a “Club”, I wondered who the bloody hell thinks by calling it a club, they will attract new listeners!
But if it went, I’d sure miss Jerome, Nathan etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom