Transfer News Summer Transfer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big question is would he be fit? Don’t know the latest timescales, but from memory the initial prognosis was a September return, which would mean he wouldn’t me match fit until October. For loan signings from Premier League clubs, we may want to look for someone who’s ready to go from August.

Stan Mills is hoping to be able to return to train as normal during preseason, although Everton may look to ease him through this initially before looking to send him out anywhere.

I would think that we're in a great position to see him return next year.

Stan Mills is hoping to be able to return to train as normal during preseason, although Everton may look to ease him through this initially before looking to send him out anywhere.

I would think that we're in a great position to see him return next year.
Do we think he’s championship quality? I’d be a bit concerned he’s not the same post injury but willing to eat my hat

Baldock would be great, he may not have the same speed and energy of 8(?) years ago but he's good on the ball, energetic, connected to the club and might well like to come back.🤷🏽‍♂️

Do we think he’s championship quality? I’d be a bit concerned he’s not the same post injury but willing to eat my hat
If you tried to describe the stereotypical Des Buckingham wide player, you’d probably end up close to something that looks like Stan Mills. He can ghost past players on his day and had an end product. Worked his socks off and could play a deeper role if needed (though I never saw a future there for him, he’s a true winger). The question is what version of him would we be getting after his time out?

I am a little guarded about us filling up on players with these long injury lay-offs in their recent history but I think we’ll need 5 or 6 wingers to call upon next season given the work they get through for Des and their importance in our play, with one or two able to take up central positions. I’d let Browne go, I’m surprised by any suggestion he should be kept on. That’s a hard call on the heartstrings but the right one.

I can see Dale moving in to the middle if his lack of pace ends up holding him back in the championship and/or Goodrham departs.

Could we sell Goodrham and loan back given our new division? That’s an option we probably didn’t have until promotion was confirmed.

Lots of possibilities for us now that previously looked beyond our control.

If you tried to describe the stereotypical Des Buckingham wide player, you’d probably end up close to something that looks like Stan Mills. He can ghost past players on his day and had an end product. Worked his socks off and could play a deeper role if needed (though I never saw a future there for him, he’s a true winger). The question is what version of him would we be getting after his time out?

I am a little guarded about us filling up on players with these long injury lay-offs in their recent history but I think we’ll need 5 or 6 wingers to call upon next season given the work they get through for Des, with one or two able to take up central positions. I’d let Browne go, I’m surprised by any suggestion he should be kept on. That’s a hard call on the heartstrings but the right one.

I can see Dale moving in to the middle if his lack of pace ends up holding him back in the championship and/or Goodrham departs.

Could we sell Goodrham and loan back given our new division? That’s an option we probably didn’t have until promotion was confirmed.

Lots of possibilities for us now that previously looked beyond our control.
5 or 6 wingers? Are you from the Ossie Ardiles school of football managers? I like your style @Swaby39

5 or 6 wingers? Are you from the Ossie Ardiles school of football managers? I like your style @Swaby39
Method to the madness. I feel our wingers are paramount to our success. If we have a couple injured, low on confidence, or just having an off day, we very quickly will find ourselves unable to compete. Most teams load up on strikers for that reason where as for us it should be the wide players.

I’d only add one further striker, perhaps another on loan that has the pace to play wide. But this is where the budget needs to go as it’s the crux of a Des Buckingham side.

I agree with others that we need 10-12 additions while letting a handful go, at least.

Method to the madness. I feel our wingers are paramount to our success. If we have a couple injured, low on confidence, or just having an off day, we very quickly will find ourselves unable to compete. Most teams load up on strikers for that reason where as for us it should be the wide players.

I’d only add one further striker, perhaps another on loan that has the pace to play wide. But this is where the budget needs to go as it’s the crux of a Des Buckingham side.

I agree with others that we need 10-12 additions while letting a handful go, at least.
That’s fair and and you’re not saying you’d have five or six wingers on the bench just in the squad and as you say it’s a key part of Des ball

That’s fair and and you’re not saying you’d have five or six wingers on the bench just in the squad and as you say it’s a key part of Des ball
And I WILL NOT be the first to say there are elements of Gobbo about that. 🤐

I think nearly everyone who played yesterday will be in the squad next season - we aren’t going to junk them all and sign special’championship players’. I’m sure we’ll sign four or five starters to add to them. I wonder if we might sell Tyler or RR to fund recruitment? Hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom