Championship Sheffield Wednesday

I can see this ending up as a Kassam scenario.
Chansiri bought the ground, Hillsborough, 4 years ago, to try and get Wednesday to meet the FFP rules (albeit it eventually failed and resulted in points deduction and relegation).
I reckon he will sell the Football Club and keep the ground and charge extortionate rent back to the club.

Chansiri bought the ground, Hillsborough, 4 years ago, to try and get Wednesday to meet the FFP rules (albeit it eventually failed and resulted in points deduction and relegation).
I reckon he will sell the Football Club and keep the ground and charge extortionate rent back to the club.

And I believe that, even after selling Hillsborough to him, the club are still more than £60m in debt to Chansiri directly. They lost £10m in each of their two League One seasons, after losing an eye-watering £25m in their relegation Championship season during Covid.

If he's seriously pissed off, then the club is surely in danger. Because unless he funds their losses, or agrees to write off a big chunk of his debt to facilitate a sale, it's hard to see how they're going to pay their wage bill by the end of the season?

I think this exact situation is why some of us get anxious about our club racking up the big debts each season too (not quite on the same scale as Wednesday.....but we don't have the revenues that they do either). While things are going well (and things are clearly going well for us on and off the pitch at the moment) then it's awesome because we get to spend above our means and field a better team than we ought to be able to, based on the revenues we generate.
But if things ever start to go wrong (like they could so easily have done last year without the mini-revival that Manning orchestrated), and Bakiri decides to throw this sort of tantrum, then we will be equally as ****ed as Wednesday (or Reading) seem to be now.

Genuinely think I'd be happier and more relaxed if our club was run like Exeter or Carlisle!

A lot needs to be spent on Hillsborough as it is seriously showing its age* or they need a new stadium altogether.

*Significant reductions in capacity are expected if nothing is done from reading iirc.

And I believe that, even after selling Hillsborough to him, the club are still more than £60m in debt to Chansiri directly. They lost £10m in each of their two League One seasons, after losing an eye-watering £25m in their relegation Championship season during Covid.

If he's seriously pissed off, then the club is surely in danger. Because unless he funds their losses, or agrees to write off a big chunk of his debt to facilitate a sale, it's hard to see how they're going to pay their wage bill by the end of the season?

I think this exact situation is why some of us get anxious about our club racking up the big debts each season too (not quite on the same scale as Wednesday.....but we don't have the revenues that they do either). While things are going well (and things are clearly going well for us on and off the pitch at the moment) then it's awesome because we get to spend above our means and field a better team than we ought to be able to, based on the revenues we generate.
But if things ever start to go wrong (like they could so easily have done last year without the mini-revival that Manning orchestrated), and Bakiri decides to throw this sort of tantrum, then we will be equally as ****ed as Wednesday (or Reading) seem to be now.

Genuinely think I'd be happier and more relaxed if our club was run like Exeter or Carlisle!

I know what you're saying. We have a lot to be thankful to our current owners for - the team on the pitch, the training ground and of course the stadium project. But I do always have this nagging thing in the back of my head when I know how much we've been paying in wages, signing and agent fees. I do trust our current owners are a different breed to the likes of Chansiri and Kassam, but the thing in my head would stop nagging if they could just orchestrate our move to a new stadium, get it set up on very favourable terms in the clubs favour, write-off all our debt whilst handing us over to the ownership of Oxvox.

Not too much to ask, is it?

I know what you're saying. We have a lot to be thankful to our current owners for - the team on the pitch, the training ground and of course the stadium project. But I do always have this nagging thing in the back of my head when I know how much we've been paying in wages, signing and agent fees. I do trust our current owners are a different breed to the likes of Chansiri and Kassam, but the thing in my head would stop nagging if they could just orchestrate our move to a new stadium, get it set up on very favourable terms in the clubs favour, write-off all our debt whilst handing us over to the ownership of Oxvox.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Our current owners are a different breed from Kassam, for sure. He was an opportunist developer that played everyone against each other to maximize his return whilst he sank as little as possible into the club. Our owners seem to genuinely want to build a great football club.

But Chansiri? By all reports, he's sunk about £120m of his own money into Wednesday - and he only bought Hillsborough in a desperate (and failed) attempt to avoid FFP penalties. He's clearly a bit of a nutter, who has not done a great job of managing the club......but he doesn't appear to be in it for profit, rather he wanted to build a great football club too. He just wasn't very good at it.

It all made sense until the last sentence. That’s an execution of ambition right there and a pledge to spend eternity with mediocrity.

Yesterday you willfully accused that the esteemed David Smith was average (outrageous claim of a midfielder who was the metronome of our best side since 1990) and today you castrate our hope ! 😜

On a serious note hope you’re staying safe up in nyc 💦

It all made sense until the last sentence. That’s an execution of ambition right there and a pledge to spend eternity with mediocrity.

Though you could argue that Exeter in particular are substantially outperforming their means at the moment; but they're doing so thanks to good long and short term management - not because they've thrown money at the problem.

I get that everyone is excited about our current owners, and the fact that their investment is offering us a potential short cut to success.

I just hope everyone equally recognizes that this is not risk-free. And that the scenario that's playing out at Wednesday - a club massively in debt and struggling in the league, with a pissed off sugar daddy threatening to turn off the taps - could happen here too. I sincerely hope it won't but it could. Basically I don't want to come on here in five years' time if the worst does happen and read people whining about how noone could have seen this coming, and it's all the owners' fault!!

I get where you are coming from but....
We play at the Kassam. The current owners appear to be buying us a spanking new stadium and hope to make us 'sustainable '.
Based on where we are, we have no future ( Kassam and incredibly high rent- higher by far the lower we are relatively)
Exeter are 'lucky'. They own their ground and have developed it further.
Oxfords best chance long term? To get that ground leased by the Council. No owner will want the club to go under.

Our current owners are a different breed from Kassam, for sure. He was an opportunist developer that played everyone against each other to maximize his return whilst he sank as little as possible into the club. Our owners seem to genuinely want to build a great football club.

But Chansiri? By all reports, he's sunk about £120m of his own money into Wednesday - and he only bought Hillsborough in a desperate (and failed) attempt to avoid FFP penalties. He's clearly a bit of a nutter, who has not done a great job of managing the club......but he doesn't appear to be in it for profit, rather he wanted to build a great football club too. He just wasn't very good at it.

Seems like he's cutting them off.

Screenshot_20231001_213632_Facebook.jpg

I’m not sure the police would have arrested them if they believed it had been photoshopped and if it has then it will be easy for them to prove their innocence.

In fairness the police would still arrest on suspicion of an offence in order to investigate fully and seize their phones. I'm not saying that the image was photoshopped in any way, but if it had been it would be very difficult for the individuals involved to immediately prove their innocence. The phones would likely need to be forensically analysed for records of the image which would take days at the absolute quickest.

Whether they shared the images as alleged, or someone else photoshopped the image on, who ever is responsible is/are sick fucks and have no place in football.

Speculation that the image was photoshopped.

It wasn't photoshopped! The man has admitted to it and if, what he said when first interviewed by the police is true, he deserves everything that is thrown at him. Disgusting excuse of a human being.

It wasn't photoshopped! The man has admitted to it and if, what he said when first interviewed by the police is true, he deserves everything that is thrown at him. Disgusting excuse of a human being.

And there is that word 'banter' again.

It will be a desperate man who takes the manager’s role there. They are a complete shambles.

Back
Top Bottom