Championship Sheffield Wednesday

Always helps when you have 1 of your board members on the disciplinary panel!

Always helps when you have 1 of your board members on the disciplinary panel!
I don't think this is the case. EFL disciplinary matters are heard by an independent disciplinary panel. Apart from anything, it seems fairly obvious that the EFL would not allow a club director to rule in a disciplinary matter relating to his or her own club!

Legal challenge from Sheffield Wed incoming then I reckon.
As I understand it, the legal challenges were actually for quite distinctly different offences. While both related to the sale of the clubs' respective stadiums to their owners to comply with FFP, that particular (and rather dubious) method of loophole exploitation wasn't actually punished in either case. While it appears that both stadiums were sold for inflated prices to allow the clubs to make a loss deemed acceptable under the Championship's weird conception of FFP (39m loss over a three year period), it seems the disciplinary panels steered clear of making judgements over whether the stadiums were properly valued - which I think it is reasonable to concede is probably beyond their remit.

Sheffield Wednesday essentially made the loss of more than 39m over the three year period, and subsequently attempted to sell Hillsborough so as to come within the acceptable loss bracket; they then, after assurances from EFL representatives and accountants that this method would be permitted (which I think is kind of unfair), tried to backdate the contract to make it appear as though the stadium had been sold in good time, and so they would not be in breach. However, the EFL, and subsequently the independent panel, did not accept this backdating, and found Wednesday to have breached FFP. So they were given the point deduction. The value of the stadium sale was not referred to at any point.

Derby, on the other hand, were charged with both selling the stadium for an increased valuation to comply with FFP and something to do with their valuations of players (their "amortisation policy associated with intangible fixed assets (players)"), which presumably is some clever accounting trick of making your losses look less significant. The stadium's valuation charge was dismissed (for the reason stated above), and it seems the second part has been as well, for reasons that are not yet clear. We're going to have to wait for the full judgment to be released for that clarity, but what is clear is that it is a totally different charge to anything levelled at Wednesday.

FWIW I still think the Wednesday decision is very harsh, as they apparently had a number of emails from the EFL saying the sale of the stadium was a legitimate way of complying with FFP, relied on these and acted in good faith, but I do get annoyed when people bandy around the word 'corrupt' whenever literally any EFL decision comes out. They don't make the ultimate decision, and, in any case, the cases were related to two very different points of law. Whatever you may think about their competence, calling into question the EFL's integrity when it is clearly not merited doesn't really help anything.

Really good podcast I was listening to earlier explains all of this very well (and far better than me) for those interested:

• React
Reactions: m

Things could be going from bad to worse at Hillsborough.

You have to query the decision to move there from Darren Moore. His Doncaster side looked to be going up this season gone. And now he'll be back in League One with what looks like a Wigan situation. Can't see them going for promotion next year if things stay like this.

Things could be going from bad to worse at Hillsborough.

You have to query the decision to move there from Darren Moore. His Doncaster side looked to be going up this season gone. And now he'll be back in League One with what looks like a Wigan situation. Can't see them going for promotion next year if things stay like this.

They`ll be another Sunderland...... "too big for this League".......... :ROFLMAO:

It’s probably an age thing, but I’ve never really considered Sheffield Wednesday a particularly big club. I remember them struggling in the premier league whist at school before being relegated. Since then they’ve yoyo’d between the championship and league one.

It’s probably an age thing, but I’ve never really considered Sheffield Wednesday a particularly big club. I remember them struggling in the premier league whist at school before being relegated. Since then they’ve yoyo’d between the championship and league one.
Any remember them being in L1 or the old division 3 maybe my age

I remember them as a top div club, taking us apart in one of our last games there with that full back whose name I can’t recall . But their glory days are further back. I think they are big, just not good.

Or them taking the London Road end at The Manor in the early 1980’s.
Sheffield Wednesday have an enormous fan base and fill every away allocation they are given every other week.
However fans on the terraces don‘t win football matches, the players on the pitch do or don’t get the 3 points.
Sheffield Wednesday are a club in turmoil and could be in league 1 for many seasons to come and their neighbours Sheffield Utd could join then soon if they don't get their act together......

Back
Top Bottom