Championship Sheffield Wednesday

Steve Gilbert

Nothing like helping fans out in the current financial climate…
For a cat A game for Sheffield Wednesday next season will cost you between £59 and £45!

Their cheapest ticket (Cat G!!) is between £36 and £27.

This is why there should be a ticket price cap in all leagues IMO.

Nothing like helping fans out in the current financial climate…
For a cat A game for Sheffield Wednesday next season will cost you between £59 and £45!

Their cheapest ticket (Cat G!!) is between £36 and £27.

This is why there should be a ticket price cap in all leagues IMO.
How does this compare to last season?

What the hell is a cat g match I can understand cat A,B,C but G that's abit extreme also talk about mugging your own fans

Last season Cat A* ranged from £34 to £28 and lowest Cat game (Cat D) ranged between £26 and £20.

So a Cat A ticket has gone up between 37% and 73% and lowest cat game between 25% and 27%.
I know Wednesday won’t be alone, but those increases are outrageous. The days of the working man’s game are long gone.

Some people have been saying the working mans game has been dead for a long time.

Its just a matter of WHEN it reaches us.

Does anyone really think we will be paying £20/£25 for a ticket at the shiny new stadium?

Pricing supporters out is the easiest form of exclusion while "supporters groups" worry if we are ticking enough diversity boxes. :ROFLMAO:

Games gone.

Some people have been saying the working mans game has been dead for a long time.

Its just a matter of WHEN it reaches us.

Does anyone really think we will be paying £20/£25 for a ticket at the shiny new stadium?

Pricing supporters out is the easiest form of exclusion while "supporters groups" worry if we are ticking enough diversity boxes. :ROFLMAO:

Games gone.
around 35 years or so ago - if memory serves - when Big Ron was managing Manchester United*, - A matchday ticket at old Strafford to watch Manchester united in the First division ( pre PL ) cost the same as a match ticket to watch Rochdale , who played several leagues below

* vague memory that Big Ron mentioned this in an interview at the time... that said memory ain't what it was

Yet they couldn’t beat us in four attempts. In fact we should have won all four encounters, if it wasn’t for Murphy’s late pen miss.

I can rember when Aldershot fans boycotted a glamour FA Cup match against us because they increased the prices to £9 I think it was...

The game you say? Erm, I think the FA must have cancelled the fixture or something, no memory at all of what did or didn't happen... 😔

The problem is as long as you've got fans prepared to be ripped off by their clubs the owners will keep doing it ... That's why actually enjoy supporting a lower league team but if our owners tried ripping us off I think I'd go and watch Ox city there has to become a time when fans say no enough is enough

The problem is as long as you've got fans prepared to be ripped off by their clubs the owners will keep doing it ... That's why actually enjoy supporting a lower league team but if our owners tried ripping us off I think I'd go and watch Ox city there has to become a time when fans say no enough is enough
The problem is that tv revenue at the top is worth more to teams than ticket revenue. So clubs start caring less about the fans as their money doesn’t add much to their income.

Ironically though it is the tv companies that bang on about atmosphere in grounds but if you fill the ground with middle class business people there will be no atmosphere.

The problem is that tv revenue at the top is worth more to teams than ticket revenue. So clubs start caring less about the fans as their money doesn’t add much to their income.

Ironically though it is the tv companies that bang on about atmosphere in grounds but if you fill the ground with middle class business people there will be no atmosphere.

But how many of those purporting to rally against modern football actually indulge it? Sky Sports subscriptions, Fantasy Football League, tekkers, banter years, Alan f**king Nixon - all that nonsense. And going to f**king Paint Pot Trophy games.

I'm a firm believer that we (as a country) get the Football culture we deserve and while there's a lot of general dismay at the state of it - too many people (many of which support lower league clubs) indulge it in a way that other countries and other cultures don't and wouldn't.

Personally, I live in a bit of an OUFC (or at most, Football League) bubble when it comes to football.
I'm not for a second telling people what to do with their money - but how many of those who are seemingly disheartened by the state of it all are also avid Sky watchers and love debating whether Messi should go to the States or the Middle East?

It's very easy to say that the game is being taken away from us - but how many are complicit in handing it over by actively supporting and indulging these things?

But how many of those purporting to rally against modern football actually indulge it? Sky Sports subscriptions, Fantasy Football League, tekkers, banter years, Alan f**king Nixon - all that nonsense. And going to f**king Paint Pot Trophy games.

I'm a firm believer that we (as a country) get the Football culture we deserve and while there's a lot of general dismay at the state of it - too many people (many of which support lower league clubs) indulge it in a way that other countries and other cultures don't and wouldn't.

Personally, I live in a bit of an OUFC (or at most, Football League) bubble when it comes to football.
I'm not for a second telling people what to do with their money - but how many of those who are seemingly disheartened by the state of it all are also avid Sky watchers and love debating whether Messi should go to the States or the Middle East?

It's very easy to say that the game is being taken away from us - but how many are complicit in handing it over by actively supporting and indulging these things?
I do agree. It has become too easy to be an armchair fan.
I personally do watch football on sky sports but if there is a local game that I can go to then I will go to it. I spend most my Tuesday evenings off watch random football matches.

As for going to Paint pot games, I just don’t understand why anyone would go to one under the current format.

We are part of the problem. Over the last few days there has been posters talking about potentially turning down sums in the region of £1m for Tyler Goodrham whilst also want to see us spend more and more on players coming in. And this is at a club that loses a few million every year and without our own ground.

And I get it. Everyone is desperate for success on the pitch, and that is easier achieved with the best possible players in your team. But it all comes at a cost and that invariably goes up as clubs look to buy greater success.

It's really positive that we have looked to introduce an 18-24 banding to ticket pricing to encourage young adults, and the family stand makes it far more reasonable to bring young kids to games. But we're looking at having a top 6 budget with bottom half ticket revenue, and that can only continue for so long.

None of this is in defence of the prices that Sheffield Wednesday are charging, but it's all relative and unlikely to get better any time soon.

We are part of the problem. Over the last few days there has been posters talking about potentially turning down sums in the region of £1m for Tyler Goodrham whilst also want to see us spend more and more on players coming in. And this is at a club that loses a few million every year and without our own ground.

And I get it. Everyone is desperate for success on the pitch, and that is easier achieved with the best possible players in your team. But it all comes at a cost and that invariably goes up as clubs look to buy greater success.

It's really positive that we have looked to introduce an 18-24 banding to ticket pricing to encourage young adults, and the family stand makes it far more reasonable to bring young kids to games. But we're looking at having a top 6 budget with bottom half ticket revenue, and that can only continue for so long.

None of this is in defence of the prices that Sheffield Wednesday are charging, but it's all relative and unlikely to get better any time soon.
I certainly think there is a fine line between fans demanding for success and doing it at an affordable rate.

Some posters have said people are unambitious for not thinking we should be a championship side but to do that it takes a massive investment from our owners. I’d rather build sustainably at a slower rate than throw the kitchen sink at it like a Bury and end up bust when it doesn’t come off.

We are lucky to have a recruitment model that does bring in young players which we sell at a profit and we may as well enjoy them while they are here.

I have no issue with ticket prices going up in line with inflation, at the end of the day, everything is going up and companies cost are going up. It’s not just the cost of the team the club have to think of but the cost of running the training ground, upkeep of the pitches/utilities etc.

The problem with Sheffield Wednesday is they have taken the P**s and increased prices well above national inflation along with getting an extra £10-7 million in TV revenue.

Its weird that the game in other countries isn`t following the same model.

2017 I watched UD Las Palmas vs Barcelona (Messi, Suarez, Neymar et al) and it was £12.
Since then they`ve been relegated and bounced around a bit but kept ticket prices around the same mark.

They will have 22k ST holders next season back in La Liga and the strap line to it is "Bringing you back with us".......

Here it seems to be "We will rinse you for as much as we can........"

Their owner has well and truly thrown his toys out of the pram and refusing to put any more money in.

Complaining about having to spend £2million a month - well you agreed to over pay your players Chansiri and signed off their contracts!

Also trying to justify the stupidly high ticket prices because if they were lower they wouldn't sell out, yet Sheffield Wednesday have always have a massive fan base so that is just pure greed.

I can see us passing them at the end of this year. It is a shame as their fans came across a decent bunch in the whole when we played them and Hillsborough is a cracking away ground.

Back
Top Bottom