International News Russian War With Ukraine

I'm pretty sure you can't sell a frozen asset so I'm guessing Abramovich's assets haven’t been frozen. You have to ask 'why not?'.

Trying to sell before it gets frozen?

Aside from that should we presume every rich Russian is a "bad" Russian?

View attachment 8364
I should think so.
They were forced into this. I suspect that many of the other athletes would have withdrawn without this decision.
Really tough for the Russian athletes, but in current times with far worse happening I am not sure that there was an option?

Nothing should be off the table IMO. Was taken back by India not condemning Russia.

I only found out how close these two are when i was looking into Russia`s new weapons
a week or so ago, was going to add a bit about being surprised to see India in this group
but thought you lot would think i was being hysterical so didnt bother.

First sign of them was here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_weapon

Then they popped up here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrahMos-II
and here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_missile_system

And finally if there is any doubt on the 6th/Dec/2021 this happened:
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/n...xpand-cooperation-in-defence-space-oil-347218

Reasonable to suspect that on the back of those abstentions both China and India will ignore sanctions.
It was really disappointing to see India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh all abstain.

No but for now we should assume every rich Russian who is or who has been close to Putin is. ie Abramovich.

Surely we can agree on that?

Tricky one, whilst I mostly agree that we should be making life very uncomfortable for known/financially linked associates, we also need to consider that "rich people" across the world all try and get close to leaders for their own benefit rather than being inherently "bad" people.

The joys of capitalism eh?

Tricky one, whilst I mostly agree that we should be making life very uncomfortable for known/financially linked associates, we also need to consider that "rich people" across the world all try and get close to leaders for their own benefit rather than being inherently "bad" people.

I take the view it has nothing to do with whether they are inherently bad people, but more that they have the contacts and ability to influence Putin, make their lives difficult and try and get them to pressure Putin to step back so they can get back to floating around the world in stupendously expensive boats!

Come on, we're only talking about freezing their assets. As soon as they can show in a transparent and auditable way they haven't been cozying up to Putin they can be unfrozen.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting they’re being sanctioned for being in some way morally β€˜bad’ people. It’s because they’re close to Putin, who is in charge of this invasion and could stop it any time that he likes.

A Russian could be a very bad person but anti-Putin = not sanctioned.

A good Russian who is morally excellent but has Putin’s ear, close by him, Putin would do anything he says = sanctioned

I`m not sure how much influence they would have with Putin in his current state.

Come on, we're only talking about freezing their assets. As soon as they can show in a transparent and auditable way they haven't been cozying up to Putin they can be unfrozen.

Yep agree with that.
Although the "how" might be intrinsically difficult as seen with some of the unexplained wealth orders applied to various "baddies".

Prime example - there are around 11 NHS Trusts that buy their gas directly from Gazprom - it's contracted so there is little wiggle room and they will not be alone.
Personally, I think they should carry on using said gas and just not pay the bill. :)

Do you reckon the government warned Abramovich they would seize his assets unless he sold up and left...maybe they didn't want the inevitable sh*t that would come with seizing a football club etc...Not saying it's right btw!

Do you reckon the government warned Abramovich they would seize his assets unless he sold up and left...maybe they didn't want the inevitable sh*t that would come with seizing a football club etc...Not saying it's right btw!

Or maybe it was a favour for one of the boys ?
No idea if or how much Abramovich is involved in this but one day, when all of this settles down, there is going
to be a discussion on here about our goverment and Russian money.

Nothing should be off the table IMO. Was taken back by India not condemning Russia.
India and Russia signed a bunch of deals in December including investment in India for steel, coal, shipbuilding, and energy supply, plus India getting S-400 missiles.

Back
Top Bottom