International News Russian War With Ukraine

So Putin has told Macron that he wants the entire country of Ukraine, many weeks and months of fighting to continue.
What I don’t understand is, if Russia felt threatened by Ukraine joining NATO meaning that Russia would border a country supported by NATO, then what is the difference if Russia then occupies Ukraine which borders NATO countries such as Poland etc?

What I don’t understand is, if Russia felt threatened by Ukraine joining NATO meaning that Russia would border a country supported by NATO, then what is the difference if Russia then occupies Ukraine which borders NATO countries such as Poland etc?
Putin wants Ukraine as a buffer to NATO. Ultimately their aim is to install a Moscow backed president of Ukraine.

Why it's any of Putin's business what happens in Ukraine is beyond me, but I think his mental state is beyond that now. He's a war criminal and will go down in history as a murderous tyrant.

Putin wants Ukraine as a buffer to NATO. Ultimately their aim is to install a Moscow backed president of Ukraine.

Why it's any of Putin's business what happens in Ukraine is beyond me, but I think his mental state is beyond that now. He's a war criminal and will go down in history as a murderous tyrant.
Yes, but if they end up occupying Ukraine then they won’t have a buffer as they’ll border NATO countries such as Poland, Hungary etc

Russia aren't helping themselves here. Trying to threaten Japan, Finland and Sweden is not going to hide that their military is doing a poor job in Ukraine even though they've chucked in approximately a quarter of their military power.

Think the government are going to have to sanction Abramovich now the french and Germans have seized oligarchs bassets so we should as well.

This war has got nothing to do with NATO membership with regards to Ukraine, at least not in the sense that Putin is implying. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are already full member states that are pushed right up against the Russian border, so the horse has bolted as far as that issue is concerned. It makes no logical sense for anybody from Russia to claim it’s about security. It’s because Ukraine is viewed as the jewel in the crown as far as rebuilding the Soviet Union is concerned. It’s the country that the misty eyed generation yearn to see ‘returned’ to Russia the most. It’s nothing to do with borders and everything to do with Ukraine essentially being seen as the favourite daughter, who will always be made to live a different life to the others. It’s the apple of their eye.

I suspect Putin has been planning this for a good decade, hence Russian interference in multiple elections across the west in recent years in an attempt to divide and destabilise. He took Crimea in 2014 so he’s clearly been building up to this for at least eight years, minimum, but likely longer as I doubt he did that on a whim. The “he’s lost his mind since Covid” narrative that certain sectors of the press have been pushing, as well as any notion that as he’s nearly 70 he’s suddenly aware of his own mortality, feels wide of the mark. It’s much more likely that this is merely the latest move in a very long game of chess. There will be more.

The bloke needs a bullet in the head, to be frank.

Back
Top Bottom