International News Russian War With Ukraine

India and Russia signed a bunch of deals in December including investment in India for steel, coal, shipbuilding, and energy supply, plus India getting S-400 missiles.
The Indian government go to great lengths to remind people, they are the World’s largest Democracy. I wonder how many of the Indian population support the Indian government’s abstinence?

Those Ukranian farmers again, found a £12million Pantsir S-1 missile system stuck in their field, a rear tyre had shredded......................they torched it.

The Government has asked them not to do so as they can repurpose them. :)

The Indian government go to great lengths to remind people, they are the World’s largest Democracy. I wonder how many of the Indian population support the Indian government’s abstinence?
Given the currently elected government and some of their policies I doubt they are that worried. Indians are more obsessed with China

United Nations resolution calling for an immediate withdrawl of Russian troops from Ukraine.

View attachment 8360

Sad to see India abstain, surprised to see South Africa do the same.

Excuse my ignorance but what does this actually mean in practical terms?

More to the point, what harm does an abstention or rejection do?

I`m not sure how much influence they would have with Putin in his current state.

Yep agree with that.
Although the "how" might be intrinsically difficult as seen with some of the unexplained wealth orders applied to various "baddies".

Prime example - there are around 11 NHS Trusts that buy their gas directly from Gazprom - it's contracted so there is little wiggle room and they will not be alone.
Personally, I think they should carry on using said gas and just not pay the bill. :)

The Govt should declare it illegal/create a sanction for all Public Sector bodies to buy gas from Russia and then doesn't force majeure (or whatever the correct term is) come into play for the Trusts?

The Russian Space Authorities are keeping One Web money even though they aren't launching the satellites (unless it has changed) under this basis.

Considering little resistance to BJP inspired sectarian violence/divisive laws from Hindus, with Muslims/Christians having to try to protect themselves from this, I doubt it will ultimately be a long term major concern.

Nothing really other than politics.

The absention by China for instance is a major public blow to Russia as although they aren't opposing, they aren't supporting them either which considering how close they've become (and the same goal of opposing the US) is significant.

Last edited:
Nothing really other than politics.

The absentation by China for instance is a major public blow to Russia as although they aren't opposing, they aren't supporting them either which considering how close they've become (and the same goal of opposing the US) is significant.

Thanks.

The Govt should declare it illegal/create a sanction for all Public Sector bodies to buy gas from Russia and then doesn't force majeure (or whatever the correct term is) come into play for the Trusts?

The Russian Space Authorities are keeping One Web money even though they aren't launching the satellites (unless it has changed) under this basis.

Yep, sounds easy until they need to retender/contract and the price has gone up by however much.

Better to use it and don`t pay the bill. :D

Think the Russians gave Oneweb 2 days to guarantee the sats wouldn`t be used for nefarious purposes........ like spying on Russia.

Yep, sounds easy until they need to retender/contract and the price has gone up by however much.

Better to use it and don`t pay the bill. :D

Think the Russians gave Oneweb 2 days to guarantee the sats wouldn`t be used for nefarious purposes........ like spying on Russia.

On the Gas, that is the cost of standing up to Russia. It isn't as if this country doesn't borrow plenty already.

On One Web, Russia also insisted it isn't used by the military but that has been openly said we and the US military are looking at that, although I don't think it can be used for that yet other than standard internet things. I laughed when I read that the Russians stipulated the Govt had to sell their stake.

Russia losing yet another industry, quality work for them.

Tbh with you m i think most of us and i include myself in this are as ignorant as each other when it comes
to these kind of things, its very much a case of learning as we go.

This is a decent article from the Guardian that explains things clearer than i can.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/02/united-nations-russia-ukraine-vote

Why is Vlad the Tyrant using Macron as his "point of contact" with the free world I wonder?

By free world, I mean the world that thinks Putin is a war criminal.

Because Macron was the most open to making allowances for Russian "security concerns".

Why is Vlad the Tyrant using Macron as his "point of contact" with the free world I wonder?

By free world, I mean the world that thinks Putin is a war criminal.
Because Macron wanted to be the first into Moscow to try and act like a true statesman, but left with egg in his face like Neville Chamberlain.

Back
Top Bottom