General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing out of the ordinary, like any other piece of scrubland in Oxfordshire, the common wild flowers in that photo will grow more or less anywhere. It’s amazing what can be produced with a few packets of wild flower seed.
Absolutely, everything if left , will grow like that even building sites ..

More trespassing has taken place it seems with more pictures of the triangle taken from within it have been posted this afternoon. OCC and/or the fencing company need to increase security at the triangle to deter the law-breaking element of FoSB.

fosb latest they have then shared it to otmoor and farmoor bird group for some reason

Screenshot (19).png

fosb latest they have then shared it to otmoor and farmoor bird group for some reason

View attachment 15222

They've shared it on Otmoor and Farmoor Facebook page because it has 2.5k followers rather than the 200 or so on their FB account.

My point still remains the same. There are wildflowers and pollinators on the Triangle? Good.

The fact that most of this wildlife is found at the northern tip that will be untouched will be part of a proper independent ecology survey. Also, everything shown to date is extremely hardy and common. The flowers will continue to grow all around a stadium, and part of the proposed wildflower meadows and green roof. The insects will absolutely thrive around the stadium along with other species that will be encouraged by greater biodiversity.

It's reassuring that they are now just focusing on the biodiversity impact of the development, if that's the only thing they have left then it'll got knocked out of the park at the planning stage.

As I've never committed trespass and entered the triangle I'd imagine that the area with these common wildflowers and insects is quite small as the majority of the site is used for growing willow for fences. As such, any loss of flowers can be replaced if not increased by the green roof and the planned green space at the tip of the triangle which the public won't have to commit trespass to enjoy like now.

Get your emails into Cllr Leffman and ask her to stand up to the unprovoked personal harassment sent her way by FoSB and approve the lease or sale on 19th September.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Can I ask a question Im not the brightest and a few sandwiches short of a picnic I want to do my bit and send the emails but what do I write in the email?

The reality is no green roof or landscaping will increase or improve ecological diversity on the triangle. I would hope the club would take steps to improve biodiversity and invest in schemes elsewhere in the county to avoid green-washing.

• React
Reactions: m
They've shared it on Otmoor and Farmoor Facebook page because it has 2.5k followers rather than the 200 or so on their FB account.

My point still remains the same. There are wildflowers and pollinators on the Triangle? Good.

The fact that most of this wildlife is found at the northern tip that will be untouched will be part of a proper independent ecology survey. Also, everything shown to date is extremely hardy and common. The flowers will continue to grow all around a stadium, and part of the proposed wildflower meadows and green roof. The insects will absolutely thrive around the stadium along with other species that will be encouraged by greater biodiversity.
Quite right and if as all football supporters do*, we all defecate profusely in the surrounding area, the insect population will explode - win, win.

*according to FOSB

The reality is no green roof or landscaping will increase or improve ecological diversity on the triangle. I would hope the club would take steps to improve biodiversity and invest in schemes elsewhere in the county to avoid green-washing.

That's not true.

Biodiversity isn't restricted to what is currently on the site. Of course, Willow will attract and support numerous different species of insects, birds and small mammals. But the removal of diseased trees alongside a planting programme to expand the woodland at the northern tip will support ten times as much wildlife.

Wildflowers will continue to grow around the northern tip of the triangle, plus the addition of the green roof will encourage even greater growth and support the same pollinators and more. There are numerous plants that don't grow naturally but would support butterflies, bees and birds on the site and across a wider area. Seeds produced from the flowers on site will be deposited elsewhere encouraging new growth on surrounding green spaces.

The idea that biodiversity can't be developed and improved on is naive in the extreme.

Can you explain this reality, as you call it, more? Why can't modern landscaping methods help promote more biodiversity?

Well, it's not a simple equation, but it takes time for benefits to accrue, if they do.

Building (and landscaping) is destructive of the environment on which you build, full stop. Mitigating the destruction is key, which means minimising the destruction of the habitat (building on the smallest possible area) and facilitating (or actively promoting) the (re)introduction of appropriate and native species - plant, insect, reptile, birds, mammals.

I suppose this means 2 things: reduce landscaping and manage new habitats.

Willow coppicing is pretty good for wildlife as it is accessed infrequently and, together with the meadow (pictured above) provides a pretty positive environment for bio-diversity (rotting trees are fine places for lots of insects to thrive).

3 things are important:

Destroy as little as possible of the existing site (inc. coppice), the species there are established and successful, they work.

Development of new habitats needs to augment existing flora and fauna and use local species. It needs more than a green roof and it needs to be managed.

Limit the area of public access. People trampling all over the place kill plants and animals and drive visiting species away. Build ponds and keep people out.

It can be done, but it has to be more than an afterthought. I confide our team is on it.

Last edited:
Some guidance here but used your own words. What do you want the council to do and why?

Once you’ve sent your email, do fill in the poll and leave a message @Billyox in the thread linked below too.

Help encourage other fans on here to do the same (and to encourage them to get friends and family to get their emails in).

Can you explain this reality, as you call it, more? Why can't modern landscaping methods help promote more biodiversity?
We're building and concreting over acres and acres of green space. With the best will in the world, corporate-style managed landscaping (which will need to be massively geared towards heavy human use) on the site is not going to be able to replace the natural land that currently sits on the site.

I am absolutely sure biodiversity will be "promoted" on site, and the club will do what it can to mitigate damage as much as possible. But there's no a hope in hell that the new site will be preferable from an environmental perspective to the current space.

Edit - looks like Paul Cannel has already said my point, but in greater detail.

That's not true.

Biodiversity isn't restricted to what is currently on the site. Of course, Willow will attract and support numerous different species of insects, birds and small mammals. But the removal of diseased trees alongside a planting programme to expand the woodland at the northern tip will support ten times as much wildlife.

Wildflowers will continue to grow around the northern tip of the triangle, plus the addition of the green roof will encourage even greater growth and support the same pollinators and more. There are numerous plants that don't grow naturally but would support butterflies, bees and birds on the site and across a wider area. Seeds produced from the flowers on site will be deposited elsewhere encouraging new growth on surrounding green spaces.

The idea that biodiversity can't be developed and improved on is naive in the extreme.
The idea that you can build an 18,000 seater stadium and surrounding facilities on a green space and think it will be ecologically improved is deluded to the max.

We're building and concreting over acres and acres of green space. With the best will in the world, corporate-style managed landscaping (which will need to be massively geared towards heavy human use) on the site is not going to be able to replace the natural land that currently sits on the site.

I am absolutely sure biodiversity will be "promoted" on site, and the club will do what it can to mitigate damage as much as possible. But there's no a hope in hell that the new site will be preferable from an environmental perspective to the current space.

Edit - looks like Paul Cannel has already said my point, but in greater detail.
Paul C didn't really make your point, he said that a lot of thought needs to be put into it, and that any benefits may be long term, if they happen. That's not what you said, which came across as an absolute negative on this. I was more wondering how you had arrived at your conclusion. Can a "green roof" really aid the aims, do we have information from similar schemes to draw upon?

There are obvious challenges, and I look forward to the club expanding on this should planning be granted. I think you are right to take a sceptical stance (or even a "cautiously neutral" one), but do we have enough information to decide either positively or negatively at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom