Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the nineties there was a quantum shift in attitudes towards management not just in football.

The theory was that anyone with any management skills could seamlessly be transplanted across disciplines not relevant to their background.

So the idea was that a supermarket manager could say become an IT manager without any practical knowledge of IT.

This spawned a culture of motivational and team building nonsense and the empowerment of people who had no idea what they were doing.

The focus shifted from achievement to bullsh*t the failures from which were glossed over with pointless courses and other exercises to paper over the cracks.
The people who had the knowledge and expertise got fed up and took early retirement as many organisations adopting those policies found themselves in a quagmire of new age managerial strife and unable to function.

Once the culprits realised they were being found out most left to wreak havoc in other businesses where they repeated the process.

So,is it important that managers in any field have relevant experience?
You bet it is.

Are you suggesting that managing a football team in a different country isn't relevant experience?

How could you possibly know that Buckingham will be a slow burner and someone else would get positive results quicker though? That's just total guesswork. As George Elek brilliantly researched in his article, the "tried and trusted" managers certainly haven't been the way forward for league winners and promoted sides recently.

Buckingham and Manning have bounced ideas off each other in the past and will have similar ways of playing, surely that's more likely to suit our current squad than a more experienced manager who is set in his ways?
I think itā€™s guess work from both of us based on being football fans for years. As I said ā€˜I suspectā€™ not ā€˜I knowā€™. Thatā€™s just my opinion Iā€™m not stating facts. Maybe you should respect other peoples opinions and not falsely attribute me to be stating a fact?

I for one am livid that we are paying a lot of money (I have no idea how much) for a manager with no experience (apart from successfully transferring his skills across management roles in Australia, New Zealand and India) who will take a long time to settle in (I have no evidence to back this up).

I for one am livid that we are paying a lot of money (I have no idea how much) for a manager with no experience (apart from successfully transferring his skills across management roles in Australia, New Zealand and India) who will take a long time to settle in (I have no evidence to back this up).
Iā€™m more concerned that heā€™s named after the wrong shire.

It that case will becomes might or might not.

I think itā€™s guess work from both of us based on being football fans for years. As I said ā€˜I suspectā€™ not ā€˜I knowā€™. Thatā€™s just my opinion Iā€™m not stating facts. Maybe you should respect other peoples opinions and not falsely attribute me to be stating a fact?
What is that opinion based on though? That's not me having a dig, I just don't understand the thinking behind it. Who would make a quicker start and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom