General Just for fun - the Political Compass Test

It's not an unreasonable assumption to suggest that if you polled the population in large parts of the middle east and Africa, you would find very strong anti-women views extending to negative opinions about their right to vote.
So they views of circa 50% of the population (ie women) don't count on your score sheet. Great!

To me woke seems to be the vocal part of the left that passes the right off.

I don't know if there's an opposite equivalent - gammon may be the closest?

Basically, anyone who thinks they have all the answers is an idiot.

(And yeah, I know I should charge for this)

So they views of circa 50% of the population (ie women) don't count on your score sheet. Great!
I'm not really sure why this is becoming an argument lol, not sure I'm saying anything particularly controversial by noting that we're more liberal than the global average. Anyway we're getting off topic so I'll leave it there.

I guess would say I veer left economically, I hate tax loopholes, I believe there should be a strong welfare state to help people (but not one that can help the whole world), I believe in a fair tax system, I would renationalise the railways. But perhaps I veer right on things like wanting to have controlled immigration and I don't really but into the "woke" (sorry for using that word) culture at all.
Can't really disagree with that. If Labour could find its way into that political zone, I'd be voting for it. Corbyn got the first half right. Starmer gets both halves wrong!

Sorry for not replying to this earlier mate, busy working for once.

What you say

I guess sums it up.

I would say as a country we are fairly centre-left, so things appear more right-wing than they are to some people. For example I think we throw around the word "fascist" quite a lot over here because we have never lived under true fascism (Despite what QR may think!)

As to when we moved left, I'm only mid-20s like you so hard to say, but I would put it down to a few things shifting us left
- More people going to University, won't be the same for everyone, but I found University to be an indoctrination camp in hard-left thinking
- Social media creating an environment where young people become very worried about "fitting in", it becomes imperative to show you are left-wing to fit in with your friends. I remember during BLM several acquaintances of mine posting things on Instagram like "silence is violence"
- We seem very fearful of offending people more than ever, not that I liked it but things like Little Britain, the great The Inbetweeners, and several other programmes acceptable 10 years ago just wouldn't fly now.

In the UK some things are considered very "right-wing" when they're not really. Wanting a more controlled immigration system or thinking children shouldn't transition would not be considered remotely right-wing in even Southern Europe I imagine.

I'd say most people in the UK are "Liberal" (not in the American sense), I would consider myself very liberal, I would legalise marijuana, no problems with anything to do with gay marriage, people following what religion they like, having whatever sex they want etc.

I guess would say I veer left economically, I hate tax loopholes, I believe there should be a strong welfare state to help people (but not one that can help the whole world), I believe in a fair tax system, I would renationalise the railways. But perhaps I veer right on things like wanting to have controlled immigration and I don't really but into the "woke" (sorry for using that word) culture at all.
@bashamwonderland weird I mentioned Little Britain not being acceptable now, this came just from today:

Incredible to think we had programmes like Fat Famalies, The Inbetweeners, Little Britain just ten or a little over years ago. Rightly or wrongly, we have become much more sensitive as a society.

@bashamwonderland weird I mentioned Little Britain not being acceptable now, this came just from today:

Incredible to think we had programmes like Fat Famalies, The Inbetweeners, Little Britain just ten or a little over years ago. Rightly or wrongly, we have become much more sensitive as a society.
Now, when I were a lad....

Strange, because the whole point of Little Britain then was that it wasn't acceptable. I was about 13 when I first watched it and even I knew the point was that the jokes were inappropriate. It makes you wonder whether Ofcom has anything better to be doing.

As for the Inbetweeners, I am sure that will be cancelled in future and it will be a shame. The show reflected the reality of sixth form life for a generation of kids, in all of its awkwardness, impropriety, and silliness.

TV today is essentially a cultural dead zone, which is an unfortunate side effect of US streaming services.

Strange, because the whole point of Little Britain then was that it wasn't acceptable. I was about 13 when I first watched it and even I knew the point was that the jokes were inappropriate. It makes you wonder whether Ofcom has anything better to be doing.

As for the Inbetweeners, I am sure that will be cancelled in future and it will be a shame. The show reflected the reality of sixth form life for a generation of kids, in all of its awkwardness, impropriety, and silliness.

TV today is essentially a cultural dead zone, which is an unfortunate side effect of US streaming services.

I think Inbetweeners tapped into something pan-generational.

It certainly felt closer to my school days (80s) than anything else I ever saw set around a school.

In betweeners was just crude and silly, and funny. No one minds that. However much you yearn for the old days though, sketches with people blacking up aren’t acceptable to a lot of people now.

In betweeners was just crude and silly, and funny. No one minds that. However much you yearn for the old days though, sketches with people blacking up aren’t acceptable to a lot of people now.
Some of the fanatical want to cancel Friends, I hope those people never see the inbetweeners! The University/College left adore the word "Problematic"

This is just young people being silly. Got to admit I liked Friends and was sorry when Matthew Perry died.
To be fair though ten years ago most people would have thought attacking the inbetweeners and little Britain was young people being silly. We need people also on the left to stand up to these joyless authoritarian mostly young people who are backed by spineless regulatory bodies and tell them to get f.....d.

Terrible news about Perry. I really hope Psilocybin is the miracle cure to treatment resistant depression. Died young, but was part of a hit show and must have had amazing memories. Gone too soon.

I think little Britain and Inbetweeners are completely different. People have been complaining about little Britain for a long time, and I recall discussion even back when it was on about the blacking up stuff and fat costumes and how that was edgy.

Anyone complaining about the inbetweeners obviously didn’t go to gosford hill 6th form in the 80s.

I think Inbetweeners tapped into something pan-generational.

It certainly felt closer to my school days (80s) than anything else I ever saw set around a school.
I'm actually curious if this is true?

I agree entirely that the Inbetweeners absolutely reflects my early 90s secondary school days as well. Complete with the rampant and all-pervasive homophobia.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that it should be banned or anything, and I still laugh myself silly watching it.
But you can still do that whilst acknowledging that gay is constantly being used as a derogatory insult, and they delight in making up new homophobic slurs......which is exactly how we all used to act. But in retrospect, I can see how it might have been somewhat uncomfortable (both school life, and watching the show) if you were a gay teen......

Are kids still like that today, or are they a little more woke and sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom