General Just for fun - the Political Compass Test

Wandering Yellow

I'm sure many of you are aware of 'The Political Compass'. It's essentially a test to show where you lie politically left-right economically and politically. It's by no means perfect (I've always thought the fact there is no "neutral" answers to the questions as a pretty major flaw (you are forced into agreeing or disagreeing with a statement), but it it is quite interesting to take it, and if you feel comfortable sharing the results on here.

I've shifted a little bit to the left it seems as I've got older (I thought I was supposed to become more right wing with age!) but I've taken it a fair few times and I always come out slightly left and libertarian. I think the majority of people in the UK would come out around this area because of the culture here.

Take the test here - https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
1698323522807.png

I may have come out top right in the blue box, is that a good thing? Asking for a “friend”

8741C6C8-8BEA-4AB8-9CE2-457F078D8F9C.jpeg
About what I expected, I feel like my answers were pretty normal though, but maybe that’s what’s wrong with politics! (Like @Wandering Yellow said I, too, sometimes felt that a middle neutral option was required rather than having to agree or disagree with everything)

Economic Left/Right: -6.63

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.72

Agree re the neutral position, would have answered several that way.

1000016762.jpg

The inability to answer neutral really does seem a big problem with this test, it's something you do for fun when you study Politics at A level, I wouldn't take the results too seriously.

If it was accurate QR's score would have been off the chart ;)

Edit: If anyone does know a more accurate/different version, feel free to share

IMG_4429.jpeg

I expect the overall outcome to be almost unanimously oppositional to the political status quo of this country.

Always interesting when people fill out things such as the below and then compare what they actually believe to what they’re continually told they believe, in terms of who actually represents their views the most when everything is stripped away:

When I last did this about 10 years ago, I was much further north on the compass.

View attachment 16422
I wonder if the fact you and I are on the "left" (at least by the standards of 10-20 years ago) but are considered to be on the right as we don't think Brexit is a bad thing, proves culture has shifted left? I think maybe the print media verges right, but social media, television, schools, universities, workplaces, businesses left.

Would be genuinely interested to know what you think.

I wonder if the fact you and I are on the "left" (at least by the standards of 10-20 years ago) but are considered to be on the right as we don't think Brexit is a bad thing, proves culture has shifted left?
Or maybe that traditional ideas of left and right don’t fit in with a more complex world. Having said worth remembering that the traditional left were anti-EU.

I wonder if the fact you and I are on the "left" (at least by the standards of 10-20 years ago) but are considered to be on the right as we don't think Brexit is a bad thing, proves culture has shifted left? I think maybe the print media verges right, but social media, television, schools, universities, workplaces, businesses left.

Hmm. I think you're trying to extrapolate well beyond the sensible there.

Not sure you can say that culture has shifted left given that weve been ruled by an increasingly right wing Tory party who think they will win votes by deporting refugees from wars. And social media is just people. David Cameron brought in equal marriage but it’s hard to see that being on the agenda of the current lot.

The inability to answer neutral really does seem a big problem with this test, it's something you do for fun when you study Politics at A level, I wouldn't take the results too seriously.

If it was accurate QR's score would have been off the chart ;)

Edit: If anyone does know a more accurate/different version, feel free to share
Interesting to see if anybody sits right in the middle, but as you say it is the lack of neutrality is a fundamental flaw.

For what its worth and based on your postings, I’d have had you down as a small ‘c’ conservative, rather than left leaning. And that’s not me having a cheap pop!

For me, I would say that by global standards the UK is very left leaning so our "average" score would already be to the lower left quadrant. To appear right, you only need to be less "left" than the average!

For example, a statement like: "a man is a man and a woman is a woman - you can't change between the two" is globally, an entirely neutral statement. However, in the UK that would be considered to be a right wing comment.

So really, for me it's just that our base point is already left leaning. I honestly don't know if it has changed over time. Do you think we've moved left over time? If so, when/why do you think the change happened?

Your Political Compass​

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18​

cant get the 4 squares with dot pic?

my 'dot is 4-5 Squares down & 3-4 squares across in the green square

Interesting to see if anybody sits right in the middle, but as you say it is the lack of neutrality is a fundamental flaw.

For what its worth and based on your postings, I’d have had you down as a small ‘c’ conservative, rather than left leaning. And that’s not me having a cheap pop!
Well, either he's in denial or Mrs T was a bit of a lefty. You choose!🤷

Back
Top Bottom