Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very confusing. According to a couple of posters on here (one in particular), the players don't like Buckingham etc. Strange that Edwards, Bennett and Goodrham have all signed new deals then, it's almost like that poster is talking out of their backside!!!
This always looked likely to be B*****s. I can believe that the players were a little icy when he arrived but that was probably them being hurt by Manning’s departure rather than anything Des was doing. Buckingham was always going to need time to defrost the players and convince them he was a safe pair of hands which I think game by game he is managing to do and the performances have always looked committed, even if a bit ropey on game plan. But I see signs that things are settling down again in the playing department, helped by a few results and players back from injury. I just really hope we don’t finish the season with more ‘what ifs’ around the January window - it always feels like we let ourselves down at this point in a season. One or two more simply won’t be enough in my opinion.

Sorry if it’s already been covered but just listened to ‘The Dub’ and in it Des said potential loan signings have already been in and around the training ground. Any ideas who they are? It was implied that they haven’t signed yet either due to us holding out for better or the parent club getting their ducks in a row.

Think many are looking at the Edwards deal the wrong way round. He has to prove his fitness to us before the end of the season not the other way around. If he does then he gets a full contract. If his calves are still problematic or he brakes down then tut tar.

So we're paying him in the hope he can play a couple of matches and we have no tangible advantage in securing his services should we want to for next season.

That's what I said.
He hopes to be fit at the end of March. There are 6 games from 29th of March to the end of the season, (plus the playoffs should we get there)

If football made me look at the world as darkly as you I think I'd get a different hobby,

have a look at Kyle maybe it will cheer you up

Last edited:
He hopes to be fit at the end of March.

Is that for sure? For this season it's a pint that he might get match fit and we won't break him by pushing him too fast. Which is cool.

It's not giving us much if any advantage in signing him for next season, which is all I've been saying.

Hobby?

I think maybe 3 more - 2 loans to take us to 5, plus we're obviously bidding on a striker.
I think you are right that 3 more will come in but personally think we need another 4. We’ll pick up more injuries, some of the players about to come back don’t have great recent injury records etc.

If we don’t sign a centre mid then we are banking on Cam Bran and Marcus staying fit all season.

So for me we need:-

* Centre Mid
* 2 centre forwards (inc loan development option)
* Pacey wide man

Then send GOD on loan, get McGinty game time somewhere else..

If we were mid table I probably would go conservative but a top 2 position is still a decent possibility, so I think it is the right time to be a little greedy.

Is he good friends with Ladapo?
If so, it might help, if he's still a target.

I also wonder if JCH would be available for a loan late in the window if he's waiting until he's out of contract to move on.
If Peterborough aren't going to play him, then at least they would get his wages covered.

I'd forgotten about McGinty - there were rumours he was to be loaned to Bohemians once Cumming came in, weren't there?

I’d love us to add some real quality in centre mid to play alongside cam, a Dobson someone of that class not sure JM or MM are good enough to get us where we want to be! Would they get in at derby , Peterborough, Bolton for example, im not so sure!

If we were mid table I probably would go conservative but a top 2 position is still a decent possibility, so I think it is the right time to be a little greedy.

Louder for the people in the back!

We have 49 points from 26 games.
For context, at the same point in our 3 best seasons since returning to this level:

19/20: 41 points.
20/21: 43 points.
21/22: 43 points.

In two of those campaigns we made the play-offs, in the 3rd we bottled it massively to miss out on them.

And yet now 49 points is being treated as 'fingers crossed we cling on'?

Realistically, with 20 games to go, we are perhaps 12 or 13 wins from a genuine shout of automatic promotion to The Championship.

The play-offs are a safety net for ambitious clubs with budgets to match. Not the aim.

There are some bizarre obsessions on what people say, or what some think they say.

You would think that Buckingham has a contract written in blood that we will sign 6, no more, no less!

We have had loanees in the building and are making bids on permanent signings. I'd be absolutely amazed if we don't bring in at least 3 more players with the option to do more business if the right players become available.

As for Kyle Edwards, his deal will cost us less on a permanent contract than we would have paid to keep him here on loan. But what it does is to commit to someone who, if fit, is a class above at this level. No risk and nothing to lose, but potentially a big impact in the closing stages of the season makes this a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom