Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
pleased JB extention (finally & officially) agreed and announced- though I was pretty much a given

question is whats happening with replacements for the recalled loanees ( including Edwards- who is rehabbing here, but his loan deal is cancelled), and more to the point additions , much needed ones, to improve the squad ?

Bennett has been a really good signing. Credit to the club for identifying him, as well as to the player himself for slotting in so quickly and playing a lot of minutes over the Christmas period. Had he not been able to do so we could've really struggled.

IMO Bennett has been bang average, but I guess he's only going to be back up to Leigh anyway.

The fact Fin Stevens has been bang average on the other side too has contributed to our woes of late.

Haven't been on this in years but was made aware of the Ben Waine comment so thought I'd jump in to give my ITK on this. Ben's cousin is one of my best mates, and we went to watch Leeds vs. Plymouth in November (in which Ben scored). Went out for dinner with Ben Waine afterwards. At the time we were managerless and when I mentioned Des Buckingham was rumoured he said he knew him as they had worked together in New Zealand. Ben was very complimentary of Des - said he's a great guy, and he had his number and said he was going to text him to see if there was any truth in the Oxford rumours (whether he did or not, I don't know).

I joked with my mate, Ben's cousin, on New Years Day that we could do with Ben at Oxford, and thought he'd fit the bill. With Ryan Hardie back from injury and the likes of Morgan Whittaker too, assume Ben might be not get a lot of game time. Spoke to Ben's cousin today and his response was: "From what I understand they're still getting a gauge of what the new manager thinks of him, cos they've had a couple of players recalled from their loans".

I personally would welcome him here, but if he was to come here for game time I can't see it working with him as a solo striker. Could see him and Harris in a two working well.

IMO Bennett has been bang average, but I guess he's only going to be back up to Leigh anyway.

The fact Fin Stevens has been bang average on the other side too has contributed to our woes of late.
Bennett barely goes forward always passes backwards I think it’s useless looks suspect defending aswell

Well & truly in the brown stuff. This season is gonna be derailed by incompetence & lack of planning, but maybe this is what the board want for the time being…
Out of interest, why would the Board not want promotion?

JB till end of season

Haven't been on this in years but was made aware of the Ben Waine comment so thought I'd jump in to give my ITK on this. Ben's cousin is one of my best mates, and we went to watch Leeds vs. Plymouth in November (in which Ben scored). Went out for dinner with Ben Waine afterwards. At the time we were managerless and when I mentioned Des Buckingham was rumoured he said he knew him as they had worked together in New Zealand. Ben was very complimentary of Des - said he's a great guy, and he had his number and said he was going to text him to see if there was any truth in the Oxford rumours (whether he did or not, I don't know).

I joked with my mate, Ben's cousin, on New Years Day that we could do with Ben at Oxford, and thought he'd fit the bill. With Ryan Hardie back from injury and the likes of Morgan Whittaker too, assume Ben might be not get a lot of game time. Spoke to Ben's cousin today and his response was: "From what I understand they're still getting a gauge of what the new manager thinks of him, cos they've had a couple of players recalled from their loans".

I personally would welcome him here, but if he was to come here for game time I can't see it working with him as a solo striker. Could see him and Harris in a two working well.
Welcome to the forum (Des) ;)

Plymouth managed to get all their business done in the first week of the January window last year. No Excuses, this club just isn’t run very well & we get taken for mugs by clubs who keep us hanging on when we should be ruthless and move on to the next target on the list.
Plymouth are struggling to get players in this season and have lost good loan players I believe?

Bennett is a solid performer and we were fortunate that he was available when Leigh got injured. He doesn't set the world alight but the same can be said for most of our currently fit players. The fact he'd been identified by Waldron and co gives me hope that we can get some good additions to the squad in this window. But we do need the keeper plus one or two more before Northampton, if not before Carlisle.

"Until at least the end of the season", so leaving the door open for a further year potentially too even if not agreed now.

That's exactly the deal I would have wanted for JB.

He'll be 34 soon and we do not want to be bogged down with a load of 30-somethings on good wages like we did last season (Baldock, Henry, Bodin etc). That has stymied us in the transfer window.

A deal until the season's end and then review where we want to be, where Bennett wants to be (he lives in Surrey, I believe, and has three children but may be considering his next chapter in his life since he won't have a huge number of years left to play) and what the overall squad makeup will be.

Bennett barely goes forward always passes backwards I think it’s useless looks suspect defending aswell
Can’t agree with this, I think he’s been solid, neat and tidy, rarely gives the ball away, and puts some decent balls in. Not the most attacking but gives a 7/10 performance most weeks. Exactly the sort of squad player you’d want in L1.

I suppose that w as one of the two Des alluded two so GK or a ST still to come this week? that leaves just over two weeks for the other four players to come in.

Can’t agree with this, I think he’s been solid, neat and tidy, rarely gives the ball away, and puts some decent balls in. Not the most attacking but gives a 7/10 performance most weeks. Exactly the sort of squad player you’d want in L1.
Couldn’t agree more. That Reading away game for example, he completely settled us down. We’d have lost that without him. Nothing eye catching, just short simple calm passes and always an option.

He’s no Greg Leigh but as a squad player who won’t let you down, I think this is excellent news.

JB is excellent at this level. He still looks pretty quick and he's very composed. Can't believe someone compared him to Joe Skarz. Skarz was fine but very much a L2 clogger. Bennett has played lots of Championship, and it shows. If he keeps fit, he could easily play L1 for another 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom