Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread on the Blackpool forum on Dale. To summarise:

1. Solid player, no one didn’t rate him, but no one thought he was a world beater either.
2. Total consensus that Critchley’s formation doesn’t suit him at all and he’ll be better off a) when he can play as a winger and b) when he can get a run of games.
3. Not impressed with him moving to a promotion rival. No one understands that.
4. Various jokes about them/us offering fish tanks and koi carp as part of the deal.
5. Not rapid, more of an inside forward. Sounds like Goodrham competition rather than Burey.

Marriott & Dale are two good additions. They add experience at the level and appear robust enough, having both played lots of minutes this season in league 1.

It’s slightly concerning that we are again not signing players with and physical presence about them (Goodwin the exception). Marriott is 5’8” and Dale is 5’9 but hopefully that will not prove costly and we can address it in the summer.

Kudos to the club, not a whisper getting out about Dale is really impressive.

Is physical presence purely about being tall, Dale at 5 ft 9 is not exactly a Goodrham esque winger, he is only a bit smaller than Mike Tyson and I reckon Tyson could take Peter Crouch in a fight. Michael Essien wasn't tall, neither Makele and they were a dominant centre midfield partnership. From the few times I have seen Dale he has struck me as competitive on that front.

Agree entirely. We really do need to address the physical presence side of things though in the next window.

Wonder if there may still be a further surprise given not a single person had an inkling about Dale?
For a second I thought there was positivity brewing

Is physical presence purely about being tall, Dale at 5 ft 9 is not exactly a Goodrham esque winger, he is only a bit smaller than Mike Tyson and I reckon Tyson could take Peter Crouch in a fight. Michael Essien wasn't tall, neither Makele and they were a dominant centre midfield partnership. From the few times I have seen Dale he has struck me as competitive on that front.

No, it’s not purely about being tall.

We’ll see, I’ve seen Dale on a number of occasions against us, but don’t recall him being particularly strong in a tackle. I could be wrong, though. Tbh, strength and tenacity is not generally what you get from wingers, anyway. I’m more thinking of the CF option and the lack of completion that is being sought in the centre of the park.

2 good additions. 2 more would be lovely

We’ll see, I’ve seen Dale on a number of occasions against us, but don’t recall him being particularly strong in a tackle. I could be wrong, though. Tbh, strength and tenacity is not generally what you get from wingers, anyway. I’m more thinking of the CF option and the lack of completion that is being sought in the centre of the park.

Marriot sounds done then?

Think he is pretty tenacious. Runs hard and presses. Maybe not the strongest in the tackle, but similar in style off the ball to Goodrham. Scrappy.

I’m pleased but a touch surprised Marriott is coming here over Wrexham. Not that we are an inferior club, far from it, but there looks a guaranteed promotion with them whereas it’s far more iffy with us. Refreshing though that he sees us as his preferred destination over all the Hollywood razzmatazz that is Wrexham. His family home in Northamptonshire probably playing a big part too.

I reckon Tyson could take Peter Crouch in a fight.

tenor.gif

If Marriott and Dale go through I think we have a fair to middling chance of the playoffs, but I think also that we are then still just a hair too light in all positions and don't have the physicality needed to dine at the really top table. And the question marks around Des and his adaptability and playing style, his backroom staff, getting used to the division, injury woes and too much old deadwood will ultimately hamstring us.

What I would also say is that yesterday proved that there are no juggernauts in the league this year. Two passes and a decent finish were all it took to score, and that against the league leaders.

I’m pleased but a touch surprised Marriott is coming here over Wrexham. Not that we are an inferior club, far from it, but there looks a guaranteed promotion with them whereas it’s far more iffy with us. Refreshing though that he sees us as his preferred destination over all the Hollywood razzmatazz that is Wrexham. His family home in Northamptonshire probably playing a big part too.
According to Kyle Walker, some footballers can have two family homes.. apparently..?

Not a club we want to be competing with in an auction. Great if we can get Marriott and we definitely need another forward, but still seems an expensive one to me when we have two strikers and no defensive midfielder.

I reckon Akinfenwa could take them all, and probably at the same time

If we sign Marriott I think he’ll be the 3rd before the deadline…

When question about Dale, didn’t Des say something along the lines of “we want 2 and if he is maybe one of them, we want the other to be a forward that can play central but also cover the wide areas”

Which to me, doesn’t suggest Marriott 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is it just me that doesn’t have Marriott as someone who can play out wide?
That's the point. Marriott is your central "hang around the box" and get on the end of chances striker which we have had a totally bizarre allergy to since Matty Taylor. I personally am sick of the sight of wide forwards and nobody in the box.

That's the point. Marriott is your central "hang around the box" and get on the end of chances striker which we have had a totally bizarre allergy to since Matty Taylor. I personally am sick of the sight of wide forwards and nobody in the box.

I agree, that sent shivers through me when I heard 'a forward who can play wide' - we simply cannot sign any more of these misfits. Get a winger or get a striker - not some hybrid version. Goodwin fits the bill, so does Marriott. Harris, currently doing a sterling job, wasn't that man and (not his fault) but its shown up until this little purple patch he's in. Wide forwards shouldn't exist - winger or forward should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom