Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've felt we have needed a player in the mould of Digby at Cambridge for some time. Someone who is physical and adds a bit of height to the team. I don't think you win a league with him playing every game but you'd feel more assured seeing out a game compared to our current options.

We are carrying a big squad with too many not contributing. I would think Buckingham would want to add something, but we just don't have the budget and room to add unless someone like McEachran somehow leaves.
There's plenty that should leave before McEachran.

Players with MM's talent are hard to find. He's capable of next level up too. Maybe struggles with Sat Tues games though. But then so do many players. Baptiste only plays every so often, but the manager and fans still like him.
I'd keep him if we can.

McGuane is a favourite of mine and I’ve still seen nobody join that knocks him of his perch as the best player, technically, we have at the club in my eyes.

The issue I think which we squash all too often with many players is how often he plays. He is slogged through 90 mins game on game in a high intensity position so it’s no surprises his ‘drop’ in form coincides with the winter pile up of games most seasons. He’s at his absolute best when he’s fresh, fit and firing and we seem to use all of that from him in the opening 3 months, burn him out and then wonder why he’s running on virtually empty. There are so many facets to proper squad depth and planning that we’ve overlooked for too long. He’s been a victim of this in my eyes and there should be no thought of letting him leave the club unless he no longer wants to wear the shirt.

Firmly in the undroppable category for me even at the 60/70% of his best we are currently seeing, but he needs support and a someone to carry some of the less precious minutes. Really surprised we haven’t done more about this in January.
A top post.
You've absolutely nailed it.

Players with MM's talent are hard to find. He's capable of next level up too. Maybe struggles with Sat Tues games though. But then so do many players. Baptiste only plays every so often, but the manager and fans still like him.
I'd keep him if we can.
Carlisle is a decent example. 3-0 up with 25 mins to play, do we need an exhausted (becoming sloppy in possession) McGuane to see that game out or could we have an understudy to throw on? Wouldn’t have affected the result from what I observed. Proper squad management is not a luxury available to Des until recently in fairness but it would be in our best interests to spare his legs for the next game where we need him more.

• React
Reactions: Nox
Firmly in the undroppable category for me even at the 60/70% of his best we are currently seeing, but he needs support and a someone to carry some of the less precious minutes. Really surprised we haven’t done more about this in January.

Surely that player is McEachran, though?
Yes, he's not as good as McGuane because he's nowhere near the athlete, but his role in the side is similar insofar as it primarily involves controlling and distributing possession. And you would almost never expect your backup to be as good as the frontline starter......that's why they get the less precious minutes.
Agree that we've run McGuane into the ground this season - but I do think that we've had a secondary alternative for him all year.....we just haven't used him much in the league.

It's Brannagan that we have absolutely no cover for - the high energy, box-to-box central midfielder with bite and goal threat. As we saw from the two games he missed, we're doomed if anything happens to him this season, unless we bring some cover in.

If we want a big physical midfielder, could look at Goodwins mate from Cheltenham, rogue shout, but Elliott Bond I always thought was underrated, nothing spectacular in the middle to final third, however always high on the tackles, Interceptions, Ariel and ground duals won stats

Yes, he's not as good as McGuane because he's nowhere near the athlete, but his role in the side is similar insofar as it primarily involves controlling and distributing possession. And you would almost never expect your backup to be as good as the frontline starter......that's why they get the less precious minutes.
Agree that we've run McGuane into the ground this season - but I do think that we've had a secondary alternative for him all year.....we just haven't used him much in the league.

It's Brannagan that we have absolutely no cover for - the high energy, box-to-box central midfielder with bite and goal threat. As we saw from the two games he missed, we're doomed if anything happens to him this season, unless we bring some cover in.
Agree on Brannagan. We saw the impact on the side when he was off before Christmas with flu / Covid. He is essential.

Apologies if this has been discussed but the Dub talking about another striker needed and another right winger. I’d personally love to see Mark Harris on the right of a front three and wouldn’t want to lose his industry.

I love this football club so much.

I’m glad McGinty will at least get games. No point in him being here when he doesn’t even make the bench. Unfortunately Eastwood wont be going anywhere. That’s why we need a new goalie as understudy to Cumming

I can see why we signed McEachran at the time but I think we can all see how differently we have to play when he’s on the field. Be brings you a bravery on the ball but at a huge price as it means we lose the energy of Brannagan and McGuane. I honestly think that’s the only reason we don’t use him so much because on the ball you’d have have very little to lose.

I think there’s a calling for a midfielder around the squad who can do the defensive job first and foremost, or at least that’s what they enjoy. Because in a game where you’re losing, McEachran might be the answer. But what about when you’re winning or hanging on a bit for a point - this is the more regular need as the team we currently are. You’d then have the luxury of choice should Brannagan or McGuane be out as to whether you lock down the midfield or go a bit more expansive while still holding an option back. Right now it’s ‘crap, can we nurse McEachran through this one?’

We are doing a stunning job of getting people out, with Johnson also gone. Hopefully we will start getting people in shortly.

I'm at the point where I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic any more......

.....but McGinty and Johnson had [checks notes] a total of zero league minutes between them this season; so getting them out on loan has absolutely no negative impact on our short term prospects, and longer term can only be a good thing to get those two game time (although at this point, I'm not very hopeful of McGinty's chances of making it.....)

My main concern is also losing Brannagan. I doubt we would turndown a seven figure offer, which could be very likely with Bristol and Middlesbrough sniffing around. Without him we would really struggle with energy in the middle. We should anyway be looking for a longer term replacement - even if he stays there is always the risk of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom