Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like everyone else, Matete has to prove himself on the pitch (especially with no competitive football in his legs this season...it's not an injury thankfully so he will have a different "getting match fit" routine than Goodwin). But on the face of it a fantastic signing...if you could pick anyone (within sensible reason) for the CM role we are lacking, he would probably be on 9 out of 10 people's lists at this level.

But yes, I remain of the opinion that we are just a little short up front and subject to the up-and-down nature of Des getting his style over to get to the very top this season. But playoffs? Why not!

Matete has just come back from 6 months out after knee surgery which is why he hasn't played this season.

I don't think we should expect too much from him.

Some interesting signings this window, which will allow us to have more options in more than one formation, whilst keeping existing players on their toes.

A good window. Well done to all those involved 👏👏

Now let’s smash the 2nd half of the season!

Yeah, hopefully once the Reading game is done (where we'll still be in quite a bare bones state), players should start to come back, and we'll have a decent number of options again.

Really good window. It was a surprise not getting another striker but actually I think we needed someone like Matete more urgently so I like it. Very solid 8/10, given that we knew it would take a few windows to rebuild after KR's mess I think we're probably ahead of that schedule. Very pleased with the work that the recruitment team are doing, pleased with the board backing Des with 2 decent fees, can't really complain.

Really good window, although to be honest I always think we have had pretty decent windows, on the face of it, bar that horrendous car crash of one when we signed Wildschut etc. Time will tell but this one looks particularly strong. Well done to Des and the recruitment team.

Very decent window, but like others have said possibly short up front.

But..

I assume it’s not too late to sign a forward if a player is paid off and becomes a free agent. I could see a few players with 6 months left on their contract being paid off to give themselves a chance to get a contract before the summer exodus of players. So wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t quite it for us..

I cannot believe we didn’t get the elusive striker we needed!

Also, out of the players we’ve signed, which ones did we have to wait for the domino effect?
Maybe the domino effect applied to the player/s we didn't get?

It’s ended up being a solid January. Albeit we haven’t actually grown the squad a great deal, despite the ongoing injuries to Murphy, Browne, Edwards & Bodin etc.

i think the Matete signing is an excellent one, subject to the player being the same as he was for Plymouth last year and not still hampered or recovering from his significant knee injury. I guess time will tell with that. Brannagan and McGuane certainly needed competition and Matete will provide it.

I’d still be surprised if a striker doesn’t come through the door, either a free agent or a loan that hasn’t been confirmed, yet. Buckingham has been consistent throughout that he wanted a forward and I’m pretty confident we will see someone come in.

No other team in the race for promotion would be happy to go into the last 17 games with O’Donkor as the third striker and we should be no different.

7/10 window as it stands.

Really good window. It was a surprise not getting another striker but actually I think we needed someone like Matete more urgently so I like it. Very solid 8/10, given that we knew it would take a few windows to rebuild after KR's mess I think we're probably ahead of that schedule. Very pleased with the work that the recruitment team are doing, pleased with the board backing Des with 2 decent fees, can't really complain.

Yes, I think we could have done with another striker but given the choice I’d have definitely strengthened midfield over the striker position. Harris has found his shooting boots but there’s a lot of pressure on Goodwin to ease that burden - another one in there would have just felt more comfortable as well as extra cover for the inevitable injury or two.

Let's hope the Blackburn lad is still coming ,he sounds like a good player .But a great window ,well done the board let's hope the bit part players ,Murphy ,Bodin ,Edwards and Browne also make an impact it could be an exciting end of the season. All being said we could do with a damn good win Saturday.

It’s ended up being a solid January. Albeit we haven’t actually grown the squad a great deal, despite the ongoing injuries to Murphy, Browne, Edwards & Bodin etc.

i think the Matete signing is an excellent one, subject to the player being the same as he was for Plymouth last year and not still hampered or recovering from his significant knee injury. I guess time will tell with that. Brannagan and McGuane certainly needed competition and Matete will provide it.

I’d still be surprised if a striker doesn’t come through the door, either a free agent or a loan that hasn’t been confirmed, yet. Buckingham has been consistent throughout that he wanted a forward and I’m pretty confident we will see someone come in.

No other team in the race for promotion would be happy to go into the last 17 games with O’Donkor as the third striker and we should be no different.

7/10 window as it stands.
And yet we've scored more goals and played fewer games than the team who are at the top of the table, and with only one out-and-out striker...

Yeah, hopefully once the Reading game is done (where we'll still be in quite a bare bones state), players should start to come back, and we'll have a decent number of options again.
If Matete and Dale are on the bench, it doesn't look too bad.
Who of Eastwood, Negru, McEachran, Gats, Smyth - probably starting, and Thorniley.
For me one of the CB's and Stevens drop out of the squad

And yet we've scored more goals and played fewer games than the team who are at the top of the table, and with only one out-and-out striker...

I’ll bookmark that one and we can review it at seasons end. A season is 46 games, not 29.

I’ve given it a fair 7/10

A few players not able to play straight away, and the Matete signing changes everything.

We’ve been desperate for a defensive midfielder since Gorrin did his knee in first time around.

That signing alone will change the whole way we can play as a team, and it will unleash Mcguane, and CamBran more. Rodrigues will also benefit, as he won’t have to drop as deep, and can link up with the frontmen Harris on one side and Goodwin through the middle.

That alone is an exciting prospect.

Yes a little disappointing we didn’t get in a second striker, but all in all a solid two windows we’ve had.

The next one will be the biggest one, we can offload a lot of players that are on BIG contracts, and some that are just not good enough at this level. Then we will be back to where we were a couple of seasons ago. Positive times!

If Matete and Dale are on the bench, it doesn't look too bad.
Who of Eastwood, Negru, McEachran, Gats, Smyth - probably starting, and Thorniley.
For me one of the CB's and Stevens drop out of the squad

McEachran has to be left out - with Matete and Smyth in there then there’s no place for him. Stevens offers way more in terms of productivity and cover.

Could we see a Joe Bennett style signing for the ST position now. Need an extra body in there as 1 injury will be pretty damaging to our chances.

Gayle was released by Stoke last night, played this season, had a good record at this level, experienced. 6 months on him?

Also Lucas Joao is a free agent, can’t see that even being looked at though because £

Matete has just come back from 6 months out after knee surgery which is why he hasn't played this season.

Only a cartilage issue. Not a cruciate ligament injury. He should be fine.

Last edited:

Oh, must have missed that.
Still a lot to offer you would think, seeing as he's only here till June.

EDIT: Six months out for a cartilage?

Back
Top Bottom