Transfer News January 2023 Transfer window thread

I will never agree with such comments, The Pundits who go on about this along with the he had every right to go down nonsense should not be in the job.

I am afraid this all stems from the ££££££ we must win / not lose at all costs mentality from the so called Elite Leagues.
Of course you can disagree but I'd suggest you're being too virtuous, it's a prime example of the type of mentality you need to get results.

There were a few pivotal moments in our promotion season in 2015/2016, one of which was against Exeter on Boxing Day 2015. Dunkley had already been booked and then he caught an Exeter player (I think it was Ollie Watkins) with a high foot just before half time. It really should have been a second yellow card and we would've been down to 10 men, the Exeter players starting protesting to the ref and then Alex MacDonald came flying in and starting shoving everyone and kicked off a small melee. 4 yellow cards in total - MacDonald and Baldock got booked for us, as did a couple of Exeter players, but there was no second yellow for Dunkley thanks to the self sacrifice of MacDonald and others.

Then at half time with the score still 0-0 and the teams still 11-a-side, Dunkley gets subbed off for Mullins.

Second half, we score 3 goals, win 3-0 and take all 3 points. Instead of having to play over 45 minutes at 0-0 with 10 men. End of the season, we go up automatically 1 point ahead of Accrington.

I will never agree with such comments, The Pundits who go on about this along with the he had every right to go down nonsense should not be in the job.

I am afraid this all stems from the ££££££ we must win / not lose at all costs mentality from the so called Elite Leagues.

Pundits shouldn’t be in a job because they disagree with your opinion?

interesting reading bristol city forum about the players wages Sykes nearly on £10,000 per week and Atkinson nearly on £9,000 per week no wonder players want to go up a division .Bristol wage bill was 10.5 million per season quite low for the championship. But interesting reading.

Of course you can disagree but I'd suggest you're being too virtuous, it's a prime example of the type of mentality you need to get results.

There were a few pivotal moments in our promotion season in 2015/2016, one of which was against Exeter on Boxing Day 2015. Dunkley had already been booked and then he caught an Exeter player (I think it was Ollie Watkins) with a high foot just before half time. It really should have been a second yellow card and we would've been down to 10 men, the Exeter players starting protesting to the ref and then Alex MacDonald came flying in and starting shoving everyone and kicked off a small melee. 4 yellow cards in total - MacDonald and Baldock got booked for us, as did a couple of Exeter players, but there was no second yellow for Dunkley thanks to the self sacrifice of MacDonald and others.

Then at half time with the score still 0-0 and the teams still 11-a-side, Dunkley gets subbed off for Mullins.

Second half, we score 3 goals, win 3-0 and take all 3 points. Instead of having to play over 45 minutes at 0-0 with 10 men. End of the season, we go up automatically 1 point ahead of Accrington.
i'm so sorry but i "never" want to see us hack a player down by the halfway line or anywhere else and whilst your example is noteworthy it's hardly the same thing.
Firstly Dunkley did not deliberately go looking for the other player, which is what is being discussed when it's suggested Cam should of hacked the fella down as in that scenario you are advocating a player to do so with intent.
if Dunkley escaped a 2nd yellow or straight red that was down to the Refereee (weak) and not another player deflecting the attention away from Dunkley.

It's been written on here what the "Modern" fan looks for when they go to a game, I would suggest that what some Managers, Pundits and fans see as being fine to commit these um "cough" fouls would most certainly not be one of them.

Like i've said it's all about the £££££££ and must win / not lose that comes from the Elite Leagues.

"He's felt the contact and has every right to go down" = £££££££££

Pundits shouldn’t be in a job because they disagree with your opinion?
Excuse me? not what i am saying is it?

Where in the Laws of the game does it advocate blatant cheating?

if you're going past someone in the High St and a persons hand behind you brushes your shoulder or back,do to throw yourself to the concrete?

I know i've clocked up a few years, but that's not what was intended for the beautiful game was it?

interesting reading bristol city forum about the players wages Sykes nearly on £10,000 per week and Atkinson nearly on £9,000 per week no wonder players want to go up a division .Bristol wage bill was 10.5 million per season quite low for the championship. But interesting reading.
Which is less than Ipswich which in the most recent accounts showed a wage bill ~14m (including staff behind the scenes) and Sheffield Wednesday ~21m. Even removing a few million for back room staff, their wages are madness. I think Plymouth is ~3/4 for the playing staff, I posted while ago I was told we are around double that.

Just proves:
- have 10 good games and you can double your money with a championship move.
- having loads of money =/= a good squad. Investing in the back room is invaluable.

If Ipswich also add Broadhead & Hirst, money 7 figure investment plus wages. Whilst we can’t compete with some clubs in the league, we certainly aren’t the plucky team KR would have us believe. Imagine if Plymouth had the ££ we had?

We will further investment, too. This mess over the last 12months will take 18months+ to correct

i'm so sorry but i "never" want to see us hack a player down by the halfway line or anywhere else and whilst your example is noteworthy it's hardly the same thing.
Firstly Dunkley did not deliberately go looking for the other player, which is what is being discussed when it's suggested Cam should of hacked the fella down as in that scenario you are advocating a player to do so with intent.
if Dunkley escaped a 2nd yellow or straight red that was down to the Refereee (weak) and not another player deflecting the attention away from Dunkley.

It's been written on here what the "Modern" fan looks for when they go to a game, I would suggest that what some Managers, Pundits and fans see as being fine to commit these um "cough" fouls would most certainly not be one of them.

Like i've said it's all about the £££££££ and must win / not lose that comes from the Elite Leagues.

"He's felt the contact and has every right to go down" = £££££££££
I think it's pretty incredible to suggest a 7-a-side brawl which resulted in 4 bookings didn't distract the ref away from Dunkley that day. Of course it did. It's also not the exact same thing as Brannagan but then I never said it was, I said it's the type of mentality that you need to win stuff, and it is. As virtuous as it is to think we can turn up and pass the opposition off the pitch each week, it just won't happen, partly because other sides are willing to do the dirty bits that we're not. If you're content on that and watching middling League 1 football every week then that's fine, but you need a bit of the bastard about you to be successful. Under Robinson we don't have that, under both Appleton and Wilder (the 2 guys that managed promotions) we did.

No Gavin Whyte for Cardiff today..??
Strongly suspect he’s going somewhere. Cardiff are still under a transfer embargo, I think, over fees owed to Nantes for Emiliano Sala. I suspect they need to sell what they can in order to raise funds and allowing players to walk free as Whyte will this summer won’t help matters. He’ll turn up somewhere in January no doubt.

Strongly suspect he’s going somewhere. Cardiff are still under a transfer embargo, I think, over fees owed to Nantes for Emiliano Sala. I suspect they need to sell what they can in order to raise funds and allowing players to walk free as Whyte will this summer won’t help matters. He’ll turn up somewhere in January no doubt.
Cardiff have had sickness at the club all week, but you’re right.
They need to offload a couple of players to get some in.
More than likely, he’ll be one.

No Gavin Whyte for Cardiff today..??

f115ad813594a80d6056d5326b7d532e.jpg

I think it's pretty incredible to suggest a 7-a-side brawl which resulted in 4 bookings didn't distract the ref away from Dunkley that day. Of course it did. It's also not the exact same thing as Brannagan but then I never said it was, I said it's the type of mentality that you need to win stuff, and it is. As virtuous as it is to think we can turn up and pass the opposition off the pitch each week, it just won't happen, partly because other sides are willing to do the dirty bits that we're not. If you're content on that and watching middling League 1 football every week then that's fine, but you need a bit of the bastard about you to be successful. Under Robinson we don't have that, under both Appleton and Wilder (the 2 guys that managed promotions) we did.
Agree.

Even football purists like Pep Guardiola who is the embodiment of immaculate football is also the master of tactical fouling. They play the entire game in the attacking third and the objective is not to let you out.

If they can’t win the ball back cleanly within a few seconds, they’ll give a soft free kick away in an area so high up the field that they get considerably more latitude from referees and avoid yellow cards. It stops the counter attack dead in its tracks and forces the opponent to stop and start meaning they can’t get any rhythm in the game. They drain the life out of teams and it’s genius.

Agree.

Even football purists like Pep Guardiola who is the embodiment of immaculate football is also the master of tactical fouling. They play the entire game in the attacking third and the objective is not to let you out.

If they can’t win the ball back cleanly within a few seconds, they’ll give a soft free kick away in an area so high up the field that they get considerably more latitude from referees and avoid yellow cards. It stops the counter attack dead in its tracks and forces the opponent to stop and start meaning they can’t get any rhythm in the game. They drain the life out of teams and it’s genius.
Agree entirely. Man City under Guardiola is the example I was going to give too and you've summed it up more succinctly than I could.

Nice guys finish last (or in our case, outside the playoffs).

I thought this was the January transfer window. STOP WHINGING, all the threads are amalgamating into one. FFS.

Given their current financial issues, I’d be very surprised if Cardiff didn’t try and cash in on Gavin Whyte. If he’s available, and it makes financial sense for the club, I would certainly have him back on a 2 year deal!

Great impact player, and we are lacking game-changing options off of the bench. Sort his finishing out and he’s one hell of a player at this level!

Given their current financial issues, I’d be very surprised if Cardiff didn’t try and cash in on Gavin Whyte. If he’s available, and it makes financial sense for the club, I would certainly have him back on a 2 year deal!

Great impact player, and we are lacking game-changing options off of the bench. Sort his finishing out and he’s one hell of a player at this level!
Won’t get a lot with only 6 months to go before his contract is up

Right, don’t shoot the messenger, but I think Brannagon is off in this window. Hope I’m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom