Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Cam was never going though as the 1 club we know enquired were way off the release clause and wanted to use poor Thorniley as a pawn in an effort to try reach the figure. Mark Sykes has turned down 2 contract offers and Elliott Moore has stated it's out of his hands/Control so there is disruption already.

As i've mentioned before if Karl/The club don't know what's happening with those players then his job becomes harder in this window because he doesn't know if they need replacing.. On top of this he is meant to do other business all within the confides of ffp.

We then constantly read page after page from fans bemoaning the fact we've not signed anyone.
Do other clubs not have at least a couple of players whose contracts are expiring? I think (most) fans on here understand that transfers can get complicated but aren't we the only club in the league not to sign anyone?

The whole "the club can do no wrong" attitude from a couple of people is just as tiring as the whole "have we signed anyone yet" stuff. Whatever we do there are a couple on here who'll will insist we're doing this brilliantly, often with a slice of condescension thrown in for good measure.

Do other clubs not have at least a couple of players whose contracts are expiring? I think (most) fans on here understand that transfers can get complicated but aren't we the only club in the league not to sign anyone?

The whole "the club can do no wrong" attitude from a couple of people is just as tiring as the whole "have we signed anyone yet" stuff. Whatever we do there are a couple on here who'll will insist we're doing this brilliantly, often with a slice of condescension thrown in for good measure.
if that's aimed at me not my approach, just saying it as i understand it.

No condescension from me, just a compliment on a clear and concise explanation by @horseman

or even an entire cake of it in some cases

You think Hearts are a bigger club than Aston Villa?
Not as things stand no but then That mini League clubs would play each other 4 times so play 44 games. Would/could any of those 5 Scottish teams finish above any of those 7 English teams well yes they could.

Not as things stand no but then That mini League clubs would play each other 4 times so play 44 games. Would/could any of those 5 Scottish teams finish above any of those 7 English teams well yes they could.
Really? If we say Rangers are the best of the Scottish teams based on the last 3 seasons who do you see them finishing above? Southampton are the worst of those teams and they're better than Rangers, who in turn are miles ahead of any other Scottish team not called Celtic.

It might seem like I'm following you tonight, I'm really not but putting the likes of Hearts and Hibs in the same group as Arsenal and Spurs, or even Southampton and Brighton, is an absolutely horrendous take!

Really? If we say Rangers are the best of the Scottish teams based on the last 3 seasons who do you see them finishing above? Southampton are the worst of those teams and they're better than Rangers, who in turn are miles ahead of any other Scottish team not called Celtic.

It might seem like I'm following you tonight, I'm really not but putting the likes of Hearts and Hibs in the same group as Arsenal and Spurs, or even Southampton and Brighton, is an absolutely horrendous take!
Well the manager of Rangers quit to take on a mid table English team because it was another step up the ladder.

Both Celtic and Rangers would get relegated in the premiership with current squads, however both are huge and would compete in Championship - once established in England and with EPL money they would be top half clubs

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have potential to be lower championship clubs

the rest league one

From someone who watches Scottish football the standard is truly appalling, little money, small crowds and the best players moving south

I think the negativity/pessimism around here far outweighs those of us that just believe in the process. Some people just have more patience and content with the fact the world doesn’t end if we start next week with one left back.

Comparing ourselves to other clubs is never a good idea. Some will have major problems to fix and/or lost players and some will have only got half the job done in the summer and finishing plans now. Those who have done relatively little could maybe point towards budget or just the fact there’s nothing much to play for so they’re happy to coast now and wait until the summer and start fresh. We’re somewhere on that spectrum as well but this idea we just need anyone is really grating on me.

I don’t know how much more obvious it could be that the club want players in the door but going off the rumours we are not shopping the ‘fringe market’ for quick wins at a risk - we’re after some of the best players at certain clubs and they will need to think about life after those players with a short time left to act. Some doors that were shut may now open as it’s a last chance to sell and they’ve got another month out of their player by making us wait until now. The last week of a window is traditionally always the busiest.

Deep breaths everyone.

Saw Matt Longstaff on loan from Newcastle mentioned on Facebook. No idea if true.

Celtic & Rangers with their current squads & coaches would struggle to win more than 5 games in a premier league season.

However, given the appropriate time to build I think they’d both have the potential to eclipse some of the biggest clubs in this country.

No problem it's what a debate is for..for the record i'm not for a minute saying they are an Arsenal or Spurs who in that virtual League would expect to win it but could they compete with Southampton Wolves Brighton Leicester Villa over the course of a season to finish top half then yes they could.

Anyway i'm alone in the thought process and i don't want to clog the Transfer thread with it.

No problem it's what a debate is for..for the record i'm not for a minute saying they are an Arsenal or Spurs who in that virtual League would expect to win it but could they compete with Southampton Wolves Brighton Leicester Villa over the course of a season to finish top half then yes they could.

Anyway i'm alone in the thought process and i don't want to clog the Transfer thread with it.

I used to live in Edinburgh, not that far from Tynecastle, and went to the occasional Hearts game (that was partly when Graeme Rix was in charge!)

Tynecastle is at least 50% smaller than the grounds of any of the clubs on your list (or Sunderland, Wigan, Ipswich or Wednesday.....hell it's smaller than Fratton Park!).

I think people forget just how far behind football infrastructure is up in Scotland when you look beyond the Old Firm. They have proud histories, but even the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are not big clubs in English terms.......

Anyway, who though Barnsley's support at Forrest was poor last night, around 600, when it cant be more than an hour'ish down the motorway.

Both Celtic and Rangers would get relegated in the premiership with current squads, however both are huge and would compete in Championship - once established in England and with EPL money they would be top half clubs

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have potential to be lower championship clubs

the rest league one

From someone who watches Scottish football the standard is truly appalling, little money, small crowds and the best players moving south
All of these clubs have the attraction and locale to attract big money investors to them which is what really matters these days. A mega rich Saudi would be just as interested in a Hearts or Aberdeen as a Reading, Bournemouth, Luton, Burnley etc I imagine.

In a way literally any club has the "potential" to be a PL club, if some random sugar daddy who wants to do some sportswashing randomly selects you.

I used to live in Edinburgh, not that far from Tynecastle, and went to the occasional Hearts game (that was partly when Graeme Rix was in charge!)

Tynecastle is at least 50% smaller than the grounds of any of the clubs on your list (or Sunderland, Wigan, Ipswich or Wednesday.....hell it's smaller than Fratton Park!).

I think people forget just how far behind football infrastructure is up in Scotland when you look beyond the Old Firm. They have proud histories, but even the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are not big clubs in English terms.......

We went to Oxford games when Rix was in charge out of unconditional loyalty to the club. You went to watch a Rix team as a neutral voluntarily?!

Madness.

Back
Top Bottom