Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

You're right that we could renegotiate the contract to keep Cam, but it wouldn't be as easy as giving Barnsley a sweetener to keep Herbie for a few more months.

Blackpool would look to increase his wages. Not hugely, maybe an extra £1500 a week. But that's still an extra £75k a year for maybe a 3 year (+1 option contract). There will also be a signing on fee and other incentives such as staying in the Championship this year and next etc. Overall, we could be looking at half a million plus, and the security of an extra 2/3 years on his contract.

Now, that's not a huge amount of money to pay to keep Cam. But if I was Elliott Moore, Sykesy and others in contract discussions then I'd be wanting a bit of that too. Then Matty Taylor looks at these kids getting paid more than him and feels put out. Sam Long and others on first team wages then sees others doubling his wage and wants to narrow the gap. Before you know it, the consequences of keeping Cam could cost the club a fortune and cause upset throughout the squad.

I desperately hope that Cam stays, and think that he probably will. But we can't just pay whatever it takes at the risk of destroying what the club has worked had to achieve - unity and sustainability.
I take your point but then we and any other club are already paying certain players more than others and i don't think anyone on here would say that's affected us on the pitch thus far. The other players in discussions natural seek a deal that suits them but if you were borderline about staying then seeing the likes of Cam stay would enhance your chances of being promoted and earning more anyway that a higher league would bring + you have a promotion on your Cv.

I still bring it back to do any of ours given that unity we do have truly believe we can be a top 30 club or at least as good a chance as any other comparable club who let's be blunt are the only one's at this stage that we know are showing an interest.

it's far too simplistic to just say well it's an extra £1,500 per week but is it a good career move, the wrong choice could soon have you and your career in the wilderness and that applies to the selling club too

As i've said our club has to make the right decisions this month, as an example short term pain for potential Long Term Gain

Blackpool signing a player from Rochdale. Hopefully a sign they are investing elsewhere as can’t see them having a load of money to spend..
400k plus add ons.possibly the smallest budget in the Championship.in fact we wouldn’t have the biggest budget in league 1

In fairness our fanbase have been very good with outgoing players who have served us well. And not just Dickie and Roofe, who understandably moved on without much in the way of protest, but even Nelson, who played out his contract, or O'Dowda atfer his shennanigans could easily have been vilified by other fanbases haven't had to deal with much of that.

I guess part of being a club who has recruited so well over the last decade or so is that you get used to it.
How a player leaves a club is usually down to how they leave. Dickie, Roofe and Nelson remained professional through out the process. O’Dowda slightly muddied his move by getting some poor advice of how to get his move. I hope Brannagan doesn’t end up having his move go the same way as O’Dowda’s by people close to him causing problems and making unnecessary noise.

Granted we may not be the biggest fish in the tank but we do have designs to be a top 30 club, Does it not concern you that our better players may not either agree with that or see comparable clubs as a better option career wise.

if we were prepared to pay a fee to keep Herbie Kane who let's be honest could have gone to many other clubs why not offer something to Cam to stop his Agent touting him for his (Agents) own gain.

The Recruiment by and large has been exceptional but like any player moving there is also a risk that the conveyor belt grinds to a halt even for a season or 2 and having allowed your better players to move on where does that leave you?.

it's a fine line but top 30 club wont come just like that and despite what some fans think promotion isn't either so for me give yourself the best chance possible. A question was asked what would be the cost to replace a Thorniley but that applies to the likes of Cam and all he brings many times over surely.
I can’t disagree with you on a lot of that but I think you always need to consider what the sales of certain players has enabled us to do. It’s also testament to our recruitment that other clubs always wants our players! You simply cannot have a policy of never selling your best players - it’s unrealistic and unsustainable unless you have an owner that is willing to continually bank roll the club. If they’re doing so and they don’t see a return on the investment, they’re going to want it back one day and that’s when it all ends in tears.

Equally, you cannot have a policy where you always sell your best players! You have to take each case on it’s own merit and assess what’s good for the club now, tomorrow and next year. Atkinson was sold after a very damaging financial period for the club and it was absolutely the right decision even it did slightly damage our chances of promotion this year (which I don’t think it has).

With regards to our vision to be a top 30 club, that ambition will very likely outlive the careers of most of our players - it’s going to take time that they do not have. Players have a very short window to achieve their ambitions and make the money they want. Their whole career is packed in to about 12 years - that’s their shelf life. In that time they could get seriously injured, fall out of favour etc. This club was here before them and fingers crossed a long time after them. We have plenty of time to become a top 30 clubs and there is a long line of players to come who will help us do that. Players are less fortunate - they have to take their opportunities now.

Last edited:
I can’t disagree with you on a lot of that but I think you always need to consider what the sales of certain players has enabled us to do. You simply cannot have a policy of never selling your best players - it’s unrealistic and unsustainable unless you have an owner that is willing to continually bank roll the club. If they’re doing so and they don’t see a return on the investment, they’re going to want it back one day and that’s when it all ends in tears.

Equally, you cannot have a policy where you always sell your best players! You have to take each case on it’s own merit and assess what’s good for the club now, tomorrow and next year. Atkinson was sold after a very damaging financial period for the club and it was absolutely the right decision even it did slightly damage our chances of promotion this year (which I don’t think it has).

With regards to our vision to be a top 30 club, that ambition will very likely outlive the careers of most of our players - it’s going to take time that they do not have. Players have a very short window to achieve their ambitions and make the money they want. Their whole career is packed in to about 12 years - that’s their shelf life. In that time they could get seriously injured, fall out of favour etc. This club was here before them and fingers crossed a long time after them. We have plenty of time to become a top 30 clubs and there is a long line of players to come who will help us do that. Players are less fortunate - they have to take their opportunities now.
We all know there are no guarantees in football and that applies to clubs and players but when you're within touching distance of a promotion surely you need to embrace it. I am afraid that for me a long line of players to come means diddly squit in the great scheme of things, they arrive with the generic ambitious club comments etc but also the get out of jail free card of this club wont stand in their way.
We are fortunate that we are among the promotion contenders again for a 3rd season but it may be 3/4/5 seasons before this opportunity heads our way again. There are many on here that jump on the managers back at a whim but he faces an anxious wait until a certain date wondering if a release clause gets met, the players likes what the other club has to offer and then he has less time to find a suitable replacement to keep the promotion push on track and this on top of trying to add to the squad already to try get us over the line. What was the point of a Herbie Kane if within days you are back to where you were prior to when he arrived.

if a player is to be allowed to go to a comparable club with promotion on the horizon when for a short term pain it could possibly be prevented then i fear we shall be here many times in the future.

Reported as "in the coming days"

Don't understand why they don't just get on with it. If, as rumoured, the release clause only applies to a certain part of the transfer window - they could well time themselves out in terms of meeting it?

Meeting a release clause does not make the player yours, might wish keep that in mind

Blackpool clearly not aware of a recent phone call or if they are cannot be too serious

Let's not forget Agents will trample on "Everyone" to make themselves money.

Meeting a release clause does not make the player yours, might wish keep that in mind

Blackpool clearly not aware of a recent phone call or if they are cannot be too serious

Let's not forget Agents will trample on "Everyone" to make themselves money.

Indeed but meeting a release clause does mean it is down to the player.

What phone call are you referring to?

The release clause was put in place as part of the package that encouraged him to sign in the summer of 2020. Without that he may well have left then.

Contracts are a negotiation between both parties. We accepted that the pay off from securing Cam on a longer deal was that an option had to be given for him to be released if a decent offer came in. We then agreed on what that amount needed to be.

If that was the difference between him signing or not then we've gained 18 months of having him in the team, or longer if the release clause isn't met.

I get that it's frustrating to (potentially) see a player leave below the value that we place on him, but that's the way football works. We did exactly the same to bring in the likes of Whyte, Sykes, Atkinson and McNally from Ireland or non-league below the value that their fans would have expected. That's life.
You forgot to mention that it was before the deadline for the Wage caps that were introduced. So it was a way of keeping Cam happy and the value of the contract not being included in the new Wage Cap Rules.

IF CB goes, it won't hopefully mean (unlike some previous windows) an 11th hour deal; with us getting JT and KR making out its a good deal but had no time to get a DM replacement in. It'll only then take an injury to Kane and we will again be without adequate defensive cover - unless you think Hanson (or another) is good enough to step up? You would have hoped that a replacement might already have been identified - for either this or the summer window and that the club could if so required move quickly.

Back
Top Bottom