Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Depending on a final one or two signings, we have an insanely imbalanced squad. If everyone stays fit, no problem.

However I cannot fathom what we do if Taylor, Moore, Long, McNally or Seddon suffer a serious injury.

Seriously, what is our strategy if Taylor is out for weeks, Winnall and no backup each game?

Seddon injury, Long left back, Force right back?

Moore injury, Long centre back, forde right back...

Either way, suddenly we look a lot weaker with square pegs in round holes.

Depending on a final one or two signings, we have an insanely imbalanced squad. If everyone stays fit, no problem.

However I cannot fathom what we do if Taylor, Moore, Long, McNally or Seddon suffer a serious injury.

Seriously, what is our strategy if Taylor is out for weeks, Winnall and no backup each game?

Karl Robinson’s biggest weakness by far as a manager is his unbalance builds of squads.

Last edited:
I’m not so sure that it’s good business sense to turn down £250k for Sykes now (if that’s what was offered) when he’ll just leave for free in a few months. He’s decent, but replaceable. If they offered something derisory like £50k, sure, but anything above a quarter of a million and I’d reluctantly take it, save his wage and use the money on finding the next Mark Sykes.

Trouble is unless we improve our defence, one injury and we've little chance of success this season. Then Sykes and Cam leave in the summer anyway.

If we get this defender in then we'll have to go with Long as cover for the centre backs, hope this new guy can cover LB, and hope Mous doesn't have to play too many minutes. Forde will cover Long adequately.
I think KR likes Kane as the middle of the 3 with Cam and McGuane/Sykes, the five wingers will fight it out amongst themselves to be in the team and Winnall will HAVE to perform when called upon. Still think we're two or three players short in key positions.☹️

I’m not so sure that it’s good business sense to turn down £250k for Sykes now (if that’s what was offered) when he’ll just leave for free in a few months. He’s decent, but replaceable. If they offered something derisory like £50k, sure, but anything above a quarter of a million and I’d reluctantly take it, save his wage and use the money on finding the next Mark Sykes.

It may be good business as with less than 50 minutes to go we have no backup centre back or centre forward.

Sykes could be roped in to play both of those positions at this rate.

Looks like just one which must be a defender slightly disappointing considering we were looking at potentially 5

Exactly this and if we are relying on basically the back four to play all remaining games it increases the chance of injury. If long and seddon get injured - which isn’t unimaginable - then what?

The owners have done well this window, make no mistake. I'm impressed.
Turned down multiple bids for Brannagan and then Sykes. Stumped up permanent substantial fees for 2 players, serious wages for Browne I imagine too. Not much more you can ask for.

Questions on Karl and recruitment team on the balance and areas targeted though... Although it's not over yet.

But if we go up he my want to sign a new deal and also make us more than £250k in promotion money 🤪

Not for me. I was pleased but not elated.

The confirmation of Herbie Kane staying was probably the closest I can remember.

fair enough. Signing a player with Arsenal and Barcelona on his CV certainly got me more excited than signing a player from Motherwell (or wherever MJ came from)

Back
Top Bottom