EPL Ivan Toney

Ban seems about right to me, I'd have probably made it the entire season just to hammer home the message but 8 months seems appropriate. Certainly no less than that.

Ban seems about right to me, I'd have probably made it the entire season just to hammer home the message but 8 months seems appropriate. Certainly no less than that.
Not really about how you make the point, it's whether you're making the right one. What's the bigger/better/more important message to send out; that betting is wrong and those 'guilty' should be vilified and put to the bottom of society, or that it's a seriously destructive addiction that people anybody should feel comfortable acknowledging and getting help for. All the while, gambling companies represent a huge revenue stream for the FA - so what's their excuse?

Dealing with it like dinosaurs certainly won't help, it'll send other sufferers further into secrecy. This was a huge opportunity for the FA to show gambling is against the rules for good reason and punish that sensibly, but then show empathy for his situation and what is a growing problem. Shows a complete lack of understanding or willingness to learn.

Not really about how you make the point, it's whether you're making the right one. What's the bigger/better/more important message to send out; that betting is wrong and those 'guilty' should be vilified and put to the bottom of society, or that it's a seriously destructive addiction that people anybody should feel comfortable acknowledging and getting help for. All the while, gambling companies represent a huge revenue stream for the FA - so what's their excuse?

Dealing with it like dinosaurs certainly won't help, it'll send other sufferers further into secrecy. This was a huge opportunity for the FA to show gambling is against the rules for good reason and punish that sensibly, but then show empathy for his situation and what is a growing problem. Shows a complete lack of understanding or willingness to learn.
Could it be that the FA have 'gone long' initially knowing there will be an appeal, upon which they can reduce the ban and (hopefully) also do some of the community work that you suggest?

Could it be that the FA have 'gone long' initially knowing there will be an appeal, upon which they can reduce the ban and (hopefully) also do some of the community work that you suggest?
Possibly, is that giving them too much credit though? Would rather they take the proactive approach first time.

Possibly, is that giving them too much credit though? Would rather they take the proactive approach first time.
I did think I was perhaps giving them too much credit when I typed it to be fair. I will be very surprised if Toney doesn't appeal the decision.

It was an independent committee that made the decision wasn't it, rather than the FA? The FA brought the charges, and were in effect prosecutors, iiirc. As if the FA think a punishment is too lenient, they can't just overrule and up it, they have to appeal to the committee, again iirc.

It was an independent committee that made the decision wasn't it, rather than the FA? The FA brought the charges, and were in effect prosecutors, iiirc. As if the FA think a punishment is too lenient, they can't just overrule and up it, they have to appeal to the committee, again iirc.
Don't know to be honest, I've done what EY does on the political threads and only read the headlines :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the info.

Joey Barton got 18 month ban for gambling, reduced to 13 months on appeal. But others have got various other punishments. Depends on the exact nature, ie whether used inside knowledge, concealed names on accounts to try and hide who they were etc.

Joey Barton got 18 month ban for gambling, reduced to 13 months on appeal. But others have got various other punishments. Depends on the exact nature, ie whether used inside knowledge, concealed names on accounts to try and hide who they were etc.
I was wondering if the FA will publish a statement of fact / written opinion so we can see what Toney had done. Can't see one on their website yet. Perhaps it has to wait until any appeals have been exhausted?

I was wondering if the FA will publish a statement of fact / written opinion so we can see what Toney had done. Can't see one on their website yet. Perhaps it has to wait until any appeals have been exhausted?

I wonder if he will appeal as he admitted guilt. It could have been a lot worse than 8 months as admitting guilt meant they dropped some of the charges (30 or 40 I think).

All whilst the FA and clubs rake money in from gambling companies...you can't move at premiership clubs for gambling advertising and tie-ins.

1684427182823.png

That's the photo the BBC used for some of their coverage, ironic he's wearing a shirt sponsored by 'Hollywood Bets'.

Think some people are missing the point here...

It isn't betting in itself that's the reason Toney was banned - it's that he was betting whilst being a pro footballer.

Toney has played at a few different clubs at different levels, meaning he will have the potential for thousands of contacts within the game. Any one of those countless bets he put on could've compromised the integrity of the game. It's impossible to know as I doubt FA had access to his phone & messages, but he could've been using said contacts to make manipulate games or player actions to make money from betting.

Essentially, he was abusing his privileged position as a pro footballer with countless contacts to exploit the betting market and make financial gain.

That's what the charges are about, and why the Prem/FA can legitimise promoting or working in partnership with betting agencies - they're targeting it at us, not players.

Back
Top Bottom