EPL Ivan Toney

I thought these enhanced rules had been in place for a number of years now?
ie no football betting allowed at all for players down to step 4.
I wonder what it is he's done to break them?
I'd guess having a gambling account in his own name is too obvious.

I thought these enhanced rules had been in place for a number of years now?
ie no football betting allowed at all for players down to step 4.
I wonder what it is he's done to break them?
I'd guess having a gambling account in his own name is too obvious.
It might be an addiction. And the amount of bets are probably are only the top of the iceberg.

I guess it all depends what matches he was betting on, and the nature of the bets. If he was betting on an Uzbekistani 3rd division match, then that's not so bad.

Brentford winning against team X, is a bit more serious as he has a direct influence in the outcome, but as a professional footballer, he should be trying to win the match anyway.

If he is betting on Brentford scoring under 2.5 goals, then that is very serious because if there have been two goals already in the game, and he's clean through on goal, the incentive to stick the shot into row Z is a lot higher.

Now he plays for Brentford earning £40k a week the incentive to miss would be balanced out by the fact that scoring goals can lead to huge wealth with improved contracts, transfers etc, although I suppose he made some of these bets pre big money days.

I doubt he has even bet on matches he is involved in but they are not allowed to bet at all on football now are they or even pass information on I don't think.

Now he plays for Brentford earning £40k a week the incentive to miss would be balanced out by the fact that scoring goals can lead to huge wealth with improved contracts, transfers etc, although I suppose he made some of these bets pre big money days.

I doubt he has even bet on matches he is involved in but they are not allowed to bet at all on football now are they or even pass information on I don't think.
The rules are so all encompassing it's difficult to think what he could have been doing?
Betting on his own matches?
Instructing someone else to bet on his matches?
Betting on other matches?
Instructing someone else to bet on other matches?
Passing on inside information?
Manipulating a game eg time of first throw in?

The rules are so all encompassing it's difficult to think what he could have been doing?
Betting on his own matches?
Instructing someone else to bet on his matches?
Betting on other matches?
Instructing someone else to bet on other matches?
Passing on inside information?
Manipulating a game eg time of first throw in?

He must of been on very good money at least some of the time he was putting those bets on though so it's hard to see anyone being stupid enough to throw a very well paid career away by trying to manipulate a match, certainly now he is on prem money. If it's any attempt to manipulate a match he has played in then you would think he would be banned/suspended by now with the amount of bets involved, Trippier got a ban for passing on information about his transfer. I reckon its just betting on other matches which he hasn't been playing in, which will still see him banned for a while but is obviously less serious than the alternative.

All comes crashing down as his England international career looks to be hoving into view.

If he is found guilty, he can kiss that all goodbye too.

He is a bloody good player. Saw him a couple of times at Peterborough ( I have the grazed shins to prove it) Looks lazy and disinterested and then he’s on it and bang. He’s odds on to score!!!😂😳😂😳

Related news.............. 3 year ban from all grounds on top of a suspended sentence.

Wonder if the local "lefties" will support such a sentence as a direct result of the Conservative governments Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022? :)

Related news.............. 3 year ban from all grounds on top of a suspended sentence.

Wonder if the local "lefties" will support such a sentence as a direct result of the Conservative governments Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022? :)
Yes. Before last year you could famously not ban anyone from any football ground for any reason.

The FA have announced he will get a eight month ban and a £50,000 fine!

Wonder if that will start in Aug, if not, that’s only 5 months without playing.

He cannot play any football from now onwards so no he won't be playing.

Looks like he can train with Brentford from 17th September, but can't play any matches until 17th January 2024.

This is wrong. The club are being punished more than the player. He should have been fined at least 95% of his wages for 8 months. Banned from attending any foreign tours. Banned from receiving any sponsorship, made to do loads of community service by working with kids.
£50k what is that in the grand scheme of a Premiership player? He just needs to look down the back of the sofa for that.

Last edited:
This is wrong. The club are being punished more than the player. He should have been fined at least 95% of his wages for 8 months. Banned from attending any foreign tours. Banned from receiving any sponsorship, made to do loads of community service by working with kids.
£50k what is that in the grand scheme of a Premiership player? He just needs to look down the back of t sofa for that.

Will Brentford have to carry on paying his salary in this period?

Another ill-thought out punishment from the FA to add to the collection. Does more to punish his club, nothing to educate/support Toney who clearly has a gambling issue and will send others with similar problems in to hiding and feel a sense of shame (including normal members of the public). £50k is a pointless fine as well - what will that achieve and who for?

Surely, a short ban (10 games?), some compulsory support/education at his cost and 12 months of community work putting his profile to good use in helping people with their gambling addiction would be better. Make a small example of him to make a point to other footballers, sure, but involve him in part of the wider solution to get people to come forward, talk more and stamp it out rather than send him in to the abyss for 8 months like a criminal, which he is not. He broke FA rules, he didn't kill a man. His situation should be used for positive change, not to blacklist. Step backwards in my opinion and an own goal by the FA.

Another ill-thought out punishment from the FA to add to the collection. Does more to punish his club, nothing to educate/support Toney who clearly has a gambling issue and will send others with similar problems in to hiding and feel a sense of shame (including normal members of the public). £50k is a pointless fine as well - what will that achieve and who for?

Surely, a short ban (10 games?), some compulsory support/education at his cost and 12 months of community work putting his profile to good use in helping people with their gambling addiction would be better. Make a small example of him to make a point to other footballers, sure, but involve him in part of the wider solution to get people to come forward, talk more and stamp it out rather than send him in to the abyss for 8 months like a criminal, which he is not. He broke FA rules, he didn't kill a man. His situation should be used for positive change, not to blacklist. Step backwards in my opinion and an own goal by the FA.

^^^ this.

Toney knew the rules and he breached them. The punishment may se harsh but I wonder how many other EPL/EFL players will be tempted to bet or be deterred from don’t so.

Back
Top Bottom