Grenoble Road - New Parking Restrictions

Won't he need planning permission to erect the cameras and signs?
Possibly also change of use as there have been no restrictions previously.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Kassam is gaining any monetary advantage here. Parking Eye don't work for free and their business model is to help the customer increase revenue by ensuring parking bays only have paying customers and the car park at the Kassam is and must remain free while we are in residence.

Perhaps he's looking at turning the stadium into a retail park rather than housing - I can see the sense in implementing it now, but to put it in and knock it all down in three years time?
Kassam will be making a pretty penny from this. Yes parking eye will get a % but Kassam will take a large chunk of the parking fees.

Parking eye make their serious money on the fines.

There are if you want to park there for over 20 minutes outside of a OUFC match.
No, if you "register" (whatever that entails), there is no charge. You would need to read the terms and conditions boards to see how and when you can register and whether you can make multiple applications (unlikely). There is no fee to park if you abide by their conditions - Kassam would need to vary the covenant issued as part of the stadium planning deal to start charging.

Fail to do so (which is what Parking Eye rely on) and they issue you with a faux parking fine and pursue you through the courts if you don't pay.

Last edited:
Isn't it free parking for 2/3hrs but you need to register?
Does that only apply to fans though?
For the likes of Dave & Susie who take their kids bowling on a Saturday night, they will need to pay for parking, normally through an app.

Does that only apply to fans though?
For the likes of Dave & Susie who take their kids bowling on a Saturday night, they will need to pay for parking, normally through an app.

They will be able to register in the bowlplex for x amount of free parking. The charges will only apply for those who exceed these times or don't register. I understand that Parking Eye are not the nicest company to deal with, but hopefully 99% of those using the parking for games or leisure, will continue to be able to do so free of charge.

Its those that park for the day ahead of away games that will be the problem, and we raised this through OUSP but unfortunately it's Kassam's decision and little the club can do about it.

Hopefully, by the start of next season. the club can get a solution to the away travel issue.
If not I wonder whether there is room to accommodate this at the training ground .?

Mick Brown (who organised away travel) is looking into this. Suggestions for additional or alternative pickup points are welcome.

I am at a seminar next month in one of the stadium conference suites. It lasts 4 hours. So presumably all the delegates can no longer park at the stadium then.

No point going to the cinema to see Dune 2 if you can only park there for 3 hours.

The end of season awards will likely last beyond 3 hours so no parking at the stadium any more for this.

Go to the bowling for a birthday party for an hour and a half then next door to F&B for some food and they are slow serving and you go beyond 3 hours.

I can understand the plan and why there are problems with this site with unauthorised parking and we have been fortunate that the parking at the stadium has always been free whereas when we go on away trips we have to pay for parking, but the 3 hours restriction needs to be lifted to something like 5 or 6 hours to allow for commercial events and other activities that have always happened there that require a longer time. The site was always designated as free parking under planning requirements, it is now becoming free parking by registration for 3 hours and you are charged (fined) if you stay longer. This was not the deal.

Mick Brown (who organised away travel) is looking into this. Suggestions for additional or alternative pickup points are welcome.
Pick up from park and rides ( located in the direction that LRT coaches are heading for where the away game is)

good practice for home games in a few years time too?

Could it not be possible that the club allow fans using the away coaches to use the club parking spots?

Then you’re still paying to park! Possibly £8 to £12
Pear Tree Park and Ride, if you are just parking, costs £2 for up to 16 hours. I've used it a few times to meet up for away games car sharing.

It's the same for all the P&R locations. Even though some of the FoSB supporters claim that you can't just use the car parking at Oxford Parkway. You can.

Pear Tree Park and Ride, if you are just parking, costs £2 for up to 16 hours. I've used it a few times to meet up for away games car sharing.

It's the same for all the P&R locations. Even though some of the FoSB supporters claim that you can't just use the car parking at Oxford Parkway. You can.
cheers for clarifying @SiHath ... not that I've noticed what the fee is on the rare occasions I use a P&R , my assumption was it was a 'reasonable' fee,- though I wouldntve been surprised if it had gone up significantly, as everything else seems to have increased... that said the idea of a P&R is to encourage people not to drive into the City centre, so a reasonable fee would help doing that.

Back
Top Bottom