Litter at Grenoble Road

Even at the Kassam I hate it that people leave their food and drink containers behind without taking them to the bins. That's said the amount of bins is abysmal in the north stand
Not speaking with any knowledge on this, but it might possibly the case that bins in public places like stadiums are restricted for security reasons.

Might be complete nonsense however, and I’m sure it’s more likely that Kassam just doesn’t want to fund a few bins!

Last edited:
Not speaking with any knowledge on this, but it might possibly the case that bind in public places like stadiums are restricted for security reasons.

Might be complete nonsense however, and I’m sure it’s more likely that Kassam just doesn’t want to fund a few bins!

There were concerns raised after the Boston Marathon bombing about the potential for bins to be used to hide explosive devices in public places, and I think that there were specific concerns about these being in places where large numbers gather (entrance/exit points).

However, I would agree that it's far more likely Kassam saving himself a few quid than a decision based on a viable terrorist threat.

As has been said, there are plenty of bins outside the stadium, but Saturday was a blustery day so may have contributed to some of the rubbish being blown back out of these bins.

There are also bins throughout the concourses, however these are managed by those who are also serving at the food/drink outlets so they can become fuller at busy times. But generally there are plenty of opportunities for people to clear their own rubbish.

As Ryan has said, this is mainly about people taking personal responsibility to throw away your rubbish appropriately. But sadly this isn't just about football games. As a family we make the point of collecting up all of our rubbish at the cinema and put in a bin on the way out. But it seems perfectly acceptable for others to just leave their s**t all over the floor and seats and expect others to clean up after them.
When i went to Vue last week, they said to LEAVE rubbish on the floor to they can recycle it...

Its a generational/selfish thing sadly - society is far more disposable than when you or I were kids and there wasn`t the "takeaway" plethora that exists today. I mean water in plastic bottles ffs? Haven`t these people got taps? :rolleyes:

Yes I sound like my grandparents but its pretty true.
If your grandparents were saying this, then it doesn't sound like it is a specific generation, but rather multiple generations.

Let's take your bottled water example. I (24) never buy bottled water, because I have a tap and it's a waste of money (and plastic).

My retired stepdad does buy bottled water, despite sitting at home all day, every day, with access to a tap and cups.

Without wanting to defend people who litter - but maybe if there were bins about it would help.
Exactly. Every game, in the SSU, I get a coffee before the game, and before the 2nd half, and there's always a pile of rubbish on the counter, empty sugar wrappers and wooden stirrers, from where people put sugar in their drinks, but then have no bin to put the rubbish in.

Very occasionally there is a bin in the corner next to counter, but most of the time there isn't, so unless people are prepared to hold onto their rubbish, struggle through the crowds of people, and use one of the bins over on the back wall (which I do) then they just dump it on the shelf in front of the counter.

However when people leave, they could take their rubbish and put it in the bin on their way out

Shows how far we've come since last season, that now all we have to moan about is litter in the stadium.
Not condoning it. Just an observation.

If your grandparents were saying this, then it doesn't sound like it is a specific generation, but rather multiple generations.

Let's take your bottled water example. I (24) never buy bottled water, because I have a tap and it's a waste of money (and plastic).

My retired stepdad does buy bottled water, despite sitting at home all day, every day, with access to a tap and cups.
I never drink tap water I only drink bottle water I don't like tap water... @Northstandboy I had the same experience when I went to Vue last week leave the rubbish by your seat .

There were concerns raised after the Boston Marathon bombing about the potential for bins to be used to hide explosive devices in public places, and I think that there were specific concerns about these being in places where large numbers gather (entrance/exit points).

However, I would agree that it's far more likely Kassam saving himself a few quid than a decision based on a viable terrorist threat.
Railway Stations removed all bins after the IRA bombing of Kings Cross I believe .
Now can have hoops with clear bags but it's certainly something that is a known possible and definitely not worth taking any chances with .

Railway Stations removed all bins after the IRA bombing of Kings Cross I believe .
Now can have hoops with clear bags but it's certainly something that is a known possible and definitely not worth taking any chances with .

This is an example of why there can be frustrations around certain issues, and why a small minority use these issues to have a dig at the club or the Supporters Panel.

The simple solution to litter would seem to be more bins, but there are other issues that come with this in regard to security issues, anything that can block access, and the potential risks from fire. Added to that a couple of people giving there experiences of cinemas actively asking people to leave rubbish behind so that it can be recycled, and how fans may feel that they're doing the right thing leaving it here too. Sometimes the obvious solutions are not always right, especially when you add in the complexity of dealing with the stadium company that proves time and time again that they will do the absolute bear minimum.

Of course there are also those who are lazy or just don't think or care about what they leave behind.

To be honest I would leave an empty coke bottle under my seat at the end of the game because the alternative is to walk it through Blackbird Leys for 20 minutes on the way back to the car, and I know it will just be dealt with at the stadium.

Wouldn't leave light litter, or litter outside the stadium, though.

Outside the stadium, no excuse whatsoever.

Inside the stadium, still not really any excuse, but I'll bet the fact that the place is so unloved plays a big part.

For me I put my rubbish in a pile under my seat because I hope that it gets out in the right bins I only ever see one bin in the stadium and that's just as you walk in(East stand). Now obviously it's not the right attitude but the one bin I see is a black sack bin so non recyclables so where am I supposed to put my recycling 🤔🙂

Get a water filter for the tap water. Should do the trick.
To be honest I drink alot of water and normally take 2,3 bottles to work each day so I find buying bottles of water suits my lifestyle

For me I put my rubbish in a pile under my seat because I hope that it gets out in the right bins I only ever see one bin in the stadium and that's just as you walk in(East stand). Now obviously it's not the right attitude but the one bin I see is a black sack bin so non recyclables so where am I supposed to put my recycling 🤔🙂

Isn't that just leaving it for someone else to put in the bin?

Isn't that just leaving it for someone else to put in the bin?
Yep you are right I do just leave it for somebody else to put in the bin ... I've been caught in future I will put all rubbish in my pocket and put it in bin on way out of the stadium

Back
Top Bottom