Other European European Super League one step closer?

To be fair all the supporters clubs of the big 6 have publicly gone against the idea. Its just the mega rich owners wanting more money.

They may well be publicly against the idea, just like Man Utd supporters were against how the Glazers run their club - yet they still managed to pack out Old Trafford week in week out until the Covid lockdown happened.

It would be interesting to see just how many fans will be prepared to turn their backs on clubs they have supported all their life, and not renew their season tickets. When push comes to shove, I think the answer will sadly be not many. And by doing that, then they are part of the problem. Once a plastic, always a plastic.

It’s just come out that any players in this new league will be banned from playing for their national sides.
Again, the passion of playing certainly for England seems to have dropped, especially for friendlies. Also, I don't believe they earn much playing for their country.

I can see a lot of well paid players saying "okay, gives us more time off"

No - the early morning stories, even from the broadsheets, were "Jose called in for crunch a.m. meeting after furious rows over ESL yesterday", but they've now been replaced with "Jose fired over performance" stories. I'll have another dig around.
I mean it's not like they didn't have a whole shopping list of reasons already is it.

Again, the passion of playing certainly for England seems to have dropped, especially for friendlies. Also, I don't believe they earn much playing for their country.

That's tragic. They have money already. Do they want to be rich or great?

One compromise/ solution would be scrap CL and Uefa cup thingy and have 2/3 divisions of the European League with promotion and relegation between the leagues.
Teams that come come top of their domestic leeagues play in qualifiers to see who enters the European league at Division 2/3 level.

One compromise/ solution would be scrap CL and Uefa cup thingy and have 2/3 divisions of the European League with promotion and relegation between the leagues.
Teams that come come top of their domestic leeagues play in qualifiers to see who enters the European league at Division 2/3 level.
Is a league more exciting than a knockout cup competition? Not sure myself.

Plus, that isn't their complaint, they want to be a guaranteed spot

What makes me laugh is all these ex players coming out speaking against it but if they was still playing for your Man City man united Spurs arsenal all the rest of the s**t they would be for it not against hypocrisy

That's tragic. They have money already. Do they want to be rich or great?

That's the other factor - how many players will want to be part of this, at the expense of their International careers? Zlatan I'm sure will be in, as possibly will Ronaldo as he's coming to the end of his career and Messi because he knows nothing other than Barca. But what about the talented youngsters with sparkling International careers ahead of them - e.g. Foden, Saka, Rashford? Or what about Harry Kane - He's now in his prime, and will he want to end his England career so that he can keep finishing 20th out of 20 every year in the Super League?

People say money talks - the most recent money-spinner was the Chinese League, where mercenaries like Tevez, Oscar and Hulk effectively ended their International careers, but most World Class players said "No thank you".

Is a league more exciting than a knockout cup competition? Not sure myself.
It's not about excitement, a knockout cup you have 1 game if you lose in the first round, the money men can't have that risk, so you have a league with guaranteed time with your snout in the trough. Who cares about sporting drama when there's money to be made?

Disgrace. The whole thing. For a board member of one these "big 6" to say the good of the game is not a concern shows just how ridiculously, selfishly out of touch they are with the game and what makes it special. I don't watch the prem, I don't subscribe to any of these premium sports channels (unless a day pass for OUFC games), and the formation of the ultimate rich mans sporting circlejerk doesn't affect me in the grand scheme of things; but unfortunately I have this nasty habit of thinking about more than just my own stupid self so unlike these clubs I care about the irreparable damage this is going to cause to the greatest sport in the world. It's pure, selfish greed. I have never had sympathy for the fans of the big 6; on this occasion I do. Because you know any self respecting fan of the 6 will be utterly ashamed of their club for being involved with this shambles. We all have clubs we hate, but I would happily stand side by side, and hand in six fingered hand with Swindon against the clubs pushing this absolute horseshit (and then very thoroughly clean my hands after).

Last edited:

England players are given a match fee for playing internationals but they all donate it to charity any way. I believe they have done this for some time and the women’s team have adopted it too.

It's not about excitement, a knockout cup you have 1 game if you lose in the first round, the money men can't have that risk, so you have a league with guaranteed time with your snout in the trough. Who cares about sporting drama when there's money to be made?
I literally said that, I thought these admins were thorough :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

So two groups of ten, home and away = 18 games minimum then a two legged quarter final and semifinal. bye bye then to playing in the FA Cup, League Cup.

I have a friend who supports Liverpool and he has said to me he hopes Klopp walks and that Leeds destroy Liverpool tonight. That's how bad of an assault on the fans it is; fans are hoping their clubs fail. It will be interesting to see what team plays tonight as, if I were a player, I'd refuse to play.

I have a friend who supports Liverpool and he has said to me he hopes Klopp walks and that Leeds destroy Liverpool tonight. That's how bad of an assault on the fans it is; fans are hoping their clubs fail. It will be interesting to see what team plays tonight as, if I were a player, I'd refuse to play.
I know a guy who's a mad Arsenal fan, always posting about them on FB etc - he says he'll be finished with them if this goes ahead and they leave the PL.

Will be really interesting to see if players at these clubs have the balls to speak out, the players have all the power, if the top players don't want to be banned from representing their countries, surely they can't sit in silence

Back
Top Bottom