Other European European Super League one step closer?

That £3 billion (or more) pot is still sat there and sure as eggs are eggs they`ll want to get their snouts in it.
Lots of chatter about what will happen to the 6.......... nothing will, once the water settles everything returns to normal.
Give it some time and the redressed pig will be wheeled out with a more tempting "offer".

Seriously, Essex?! You think they’d pull another manoeuvre after the failures of Project Big Picture and the ESL? Can’t see it happening myself ...

Oh ...

I dont think this will go away. If we look at some current factors;

Clubs across Europe, on average a team with 50,000 stadium tends to lose a 100 million a season on Matchday revenue.
Commercial sponsors are still looking at their investment including whether there is any adjustment including clawbacks. But they are conscious they still want to retain the rights.
Similar with TV rights across the world.
I am not aware there has been any reduction in players salaries as clubs are conscious not to lose their best players, especially on a free transfer.

So in summary, whether its Man Utd or a small Premier club like Fulham, I feel the financial impact of the last 12-15 months has not been felt yet, and something will have to change or give. The government is not involved and while they have provided "assistance" I bet you they will go after the government for more "support".

I would not be surprised if there was a reduction or withdrawl of parachute or solidarity payments.

Perez is claiming that the 6 haven't formally left yet because they haven't paid the fine required to be officially released from the ESL.

Seriously, Essex?! You think they’d pull another manoeuvre after the failures of Project Big Picture and the ESL? Can’t see it happening myself ...

Oh ...

Wouldn't there be a certain irony in Celtic playing in a British league?

Oh ...

OH!! This one again. We can wheel out all the same arguments as last time

Wouldn't there be a certain irony in Celtic playing in a British league?
The winners of the British League could have a two leg play-off against the winners of the soon-to-come EU League, although not sure some of 'our' fans would want anything to do with the EU League?

Last edited:
The winners of the British League could have a two leg play-off against the winners of the soon-to-come EU League, although not sure some of 'our' fans would want anything to do with the EU League?
To make it interesting, the British League should include the champions of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Ooh, I'm feeling a triangular tournament coming on; British League v EU League v United Ireland League. Football before politics, although the Republic might have an identity crisis.
Why dont we make it easier and just invite the best teams in Europe as well?

Oh wait....................................................................

Many moons ago, I did once try to work out a five nations cup competition - to sort of replace the League Cup - in which initial qualifying rounds were held within each league, to whittle the number of clubs down to say 32 across the five leagues....eg 16 England, 10 Scotland, 2 Wales, 2 N Ireland, 2 Republic OR 12 England, 8 Scotland and 4 each from the others.

Many moons ago, I did once try to work out a five nations cup competition - to sort of replace the League Cup - in which initial qualifying rounds were held within each league, to whittle the number of clubs down to say 32 across the five leagues....eg 16 England, 10 Scotland, 2 Wales, 2 N Ireland, 2 Republic OR 12 England, 8 Scotland and 4 each from the others.
Was this before you had a girlfriend? 😉

I'm less against this British version than I was the ESL, but if you're going to do it, don't punish the other teams ffs. Reducing the prem to 18 then adding the two Scottish clubs means 4 teams have to be removed from the Prem - and that's not including the three that should go up from the Champ. Potentially 7 teams that just lose Prem status to pander to two clubs who haven't done anything of note other than being involved in the most boring 2 way fight in football. If you're going to do it (although I hope they don't), bump the Prem up to 24 teams to match the rest of the EFL, stick in the two Scots if you have to, then promote extra teams from each league below to fill the remaining spots in each league, and keep the number of relegations the same. That way no one is punished because two Scottish teams are bored of their lack of competitiveness.

What is it about our stupid setup that says the highest paid players, biggest squad sized teams and clubs with the biggest budgets can't play a 38 game league and a couple of cups but us minnows are expected to play 46 league games plus 3 cups with one having a guaranteed 3 games, with far smaller budgets, lower paid players and bloody ridiculous 20 player squad caps?! It's pathetic.

The Real Predident is on a different planet.
Reading that you wouldn't be putting any money on a 'Super League ' happening soon.

"There was someone in the English group that didn't have much interest, I won't say who," he said.

"That began to infect others, who are also people of an age, and who are perhaps afraid because they did not understand anything of what was happening.

"We all signed a binding agreement, but I think one was never very convinced."

Florentino Perez actually features in today's gossip column too as the Real Madrid president said in the same radio show that clubs will not be able to sign Paris St-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe or Borussia Dortmund forward Erling Braut Haaland without the European Super League. (El Larguero, via Goa

Simplistic maybe but that says an awful lot.
Rather than cut their cloth accordingly (and Mbappe and Haaland being paid what clubs can afford), Madrid can screw the rest of football in order to remain a Galactico club.

"There was someone in the English group that didn't have much interest, I won't say who," he said.

"That began to infect others, who are also people of an age, and who are perhaps afraid because they did not understand anything of what was happening.

"We all signed a binding agreement, but I think one was never very convinced."
That is Man City apparently

Back
Top Bottom