Sport Cricket World Cup

England 120-4 after 22 overs, Buttler just joining Root in the middle. Could do with a stand between these two now, the wickets are flowing.

England beginning the competition by losing wickets regularly against a rather rag-tag NZ attack. Not a good start.

We are going to have to bowl very well - we'll need to dismiss them to win I reckon.

So this is not looking good!

My worry on the first post of this thread was that our attack was competent rather than threatening (especially in Indian conditions). It's certainly looking that way at the moment - this Kiwi pair entirely untroubled. Looks like we're going to have to score 350+ to win games regularly this tournament. Good thing it's a long tournament and there's going to be plenty of time to recover from this.

I don't get to watch much live cricket these days, so also glad to hear pretty much exactly the same commentators doing their thing! Athers, Nas, the three Ians (Ward, Bishop, Smith). Feels like they haven't refreshed the roster in a decade......and it's very comforting!

So this is not looking good!

My worry on the first post of this thread was that our attack was competent rather than threatening (especially in Indian conditions). It's certainly looking that way at the moment - this Kiwi pair entirely untroubled. Looks like we're going to have to score 350+ to win games regularly this tournament. Good thing it's a long tournament and there's going to be plenty of time to recover from this.

I don't get to watch much live cricket these days, so also glad to hear pretty much exactly the same commentators doing their thing! Athers, Nas, the three Ians (Ward, Bishop, Smith). Feels like they haven't refreshed the roster in a decade......and it's very comforting!
Is Steven Finn on comms duty? Always found him pretty good, but he might just be BBC.

There used to be a particular poster on here who always had it in for Morgan as Captain.

As brilliant a batter as Buttler is, and he’s genuinely world class in white ball cricket, I just don’t think he’ll get the same out of this team as Morgan.

Easy to say this after we look to be limping to a heavy opening defeat, but Morgan seemed to have a ruthlessness and vision which is rare even amongst the great captains. Stokes seems to have it too - Buttler I’m not so sure.

There used to be a particular poster on here who always had it in for Morgan as Captain.

As brilliant a batter as Buttler is, and he’s genuinely world class in white ball cricket, I just don’t think he’ll get the same out of this team as Morgan.

Easy to say this after we look to be limping to a heavy opening defeat, but Morgan seemed to have a ruthlessness and vision which is rare even amongst the great captains. Stokes seems to have it too - Buttler I’m not so sure.

It does all feel a little regulation. Our best bowlers just running in and bowling normally to fairly standard fields.

When we're so desperate for a wicket, you feel like Morgan or Stokes would have come up with something more creative to try......

This is a NZ side with a few holes in it too. I mean they even had Neesham bowling a few overs.

Chastening. Winning in India is never easy, whoever the opposition is.

It does all feel a little regulation. Our best bowlers just running in and bowling normally to fairly standard fields.

When we're so desperate for a wicket, you feel like Morgan or Stokes would have come up with something more creative to try......
Indeed.

I don’t wish to start a pile-on on Buttler (and particularly not just because of today’s looming defeat - we lost games in 2019 too) but Morgan and Stokes have something a bit extra about them.

They’re all time greats in the way they’re transformed England and cricket more generally. Unfair to compare Buttler to that really.

Yep. I've just closed the CricInfo tab on my browser, don't need to see that score any more. On to the next game.

Pathetic by the bowlers, and very poor by the batters. Not to mention that will have absolutely battered their run rate.

NZ were by far the better team today, so no excuses, but as the competition goes on, it will be interesting to see how many other teams that win the toss a) choose the bat second and b) win the game. If I were a betting man ...

Today we have Pakistan v Netherlands. After 10 overs Pakistan have limped to 43/3.

Our preparation was poor for a start.
Playing games at home at the end of September didn't really help us. We should have gone out earlier and played at least 4 games in Indian conditions. New Zealand had 4 games before they played us, 2 against Bangladesh.
I love Joe Root as a Test batter but he has to score quicker in one dayers. As a number 3 he needs to score at a strike rate of over 95/100 average, that's the norm now not in the 80's!! It puts pressure on batters yet to come in.
And the bowling and field settings were very ordinary.
Wasn't encouraged by the sight of Stokes hobbling around either.

I found it very weird when the BBC was saying that 'England continue their World Cup preparation' with the matches against Ireland.

With a team where none of the players are in the WC squad and in late September conditions in England when the WC is in India ...

Attendance looks poor!
I was thinking that and equally poor at the Netherlands/Pakistan game.

It does seem that Indian cricket fans are solely interested in India. General World Cup crowds are always pretty good in the UK, Australia, South Africa and even the West Indies, although I suppose, unlike India, there are large immigrant communities to bolster the numbers.

Watching a bit of the India/Australia warm up, I was struck by the fact that it was completely silent when the Aussie's scored a boundary or took a wicket and I mean deathly silent, unless the ball was in the air for a while. I've watched a bit of cricket around the world and there will generally be at least a ripple of appreciative applause for the opposition.

I guess we will be seeing a lot of small crowds in the group games, except for India themselves.

Back
Top Bottom