Sport Cricket - Summer 2023

SteMerritt

Moderator & English Language Pedant
Staff member
Despite what it may look like out of the window, the "Summer" of cricket has begun. Ashes Summers are always exciting, this year should see a closely-matched and competitive series.

England Fixtures

June
1st-4thTest ( 4 day)Ireland (Lord's)
16th-20thTest (Ashes #1)Australia (Edgbaston)
28th-July 2ndTest (Ashes #2)Australia (Lord's)
July
6th-10thTest (Ashes #3)Australia (Headingley)
19th-23rdTest (Ashes #4)Australia (Old Trafford)
27th-31stTest (Ashes #5)Australia (Oval)
August
30thIT20 (1)New Zealand (Riverside)
September
1stIT20 (2)New Zealand (Old Trafford)
3rdIT20 (3)New Zealand (Edgbaston)
5thIT20 (4)New Zealand (Trent Bridge)
8thODI (1)New Zealand (Sophia Gardens)
10thODI (2)New Zealand (Ageas Bowl)
13thODI (3)New Zealand (Oval)
15thODI (4)New Zealand (Lord's)
20thODI (1)Ireland (Headingley)
23rdODI (2)Ireland (Trent Bridge)
26thODI (3)Ireland (Bristol)

Is the lack of games in August due to the World Cup or something?
Two months of (hopefully) great Test cricket!

The Hundred :rolleyes:
Surely if a format nobody had even heard of a couple of years ago starts getting in the way of the highly popular test game, then the Hundred’s doomed to fail.

The Hundred is too different to the other three formats of the game to have been allowed a top down set up, and just shoehorned into the season. But then it’s all about a quick return on the investment 🙁

Maybe not the right thread but this day in 2015, Kevin Pietersen scored 291 runs on a day for Surrey.
What a player!

Surely if a format nobody had even heard of a couple of years ago starts getting in the way of the highly popular test game, then the Hundred’s doomed to fail.

The Hundred is too different to the other three formats of the game to have been allowed a top down set up, and just shoehorned into the season. But then it’s all about a quick return on the investment 🙁
it really is crap IMO, The Hundred

it really is crap IMO, The Hundred
There are good bits. The promotion of the women's game is now firmly established and worked well. The women players also got a fair bit of dosh for playing as well, certainly things are on the right track there...more kids involved, more recognition and so on.

The rest of it (most prominently taking the entire calendar out of the red ball game in the height of summer) is extremely questionable though. And I'll keep banging the drum on this one, the junk food sponsors were an absolutely terrible idea.

In any case, we'll most likely soon have an IPL/Bash style T20 tournament soon to replace it, with the Hundred carrying on for the women.

Crawley playing while Foakes is dropped is almost unfathomable. Foakes not only keeps brilliantly, he’s batted well also. I understand wanting to get Bairstow in but Crawley hasn’t done anything to justify or deserve playing. I’d rather see Foakes open than him, can’t do any worse…

Absolutely ridiculous decision to drop Foakes who Stokes has said is the best in the world!!
Crawley should have been dropped without doubt but he's Rob Key's 'blue eyed boy' he has had a poor start to the season in the CC.
They could have rejigged the batting order, that's no excuse.
It's not as if Foakes is a mug with the bat, anything but!! I would put money on him getting a better average against the Aussies than Crawley.

Who's got tickets for the Ashes this year? I'll be at Edgbaston in the Hollies for a day, can't wait.
take an Oxford utd flag - or wear a home shirt ( if the new ones are out n in club shop by then , ideal) so we can spot you in the Barmy Army hoardes

Saw Josh Tongue bowl at Worcester v Sussex the day he dismissed Smith, looked good, he had several appeals turned down before the lbw. From very much a layman's point of view I thought Smith looked vulnerable early in his innings when he shuffles across the crease. This seems to be the view of the experts as well.

Think Anderson and Robinson will return for the ashes though

It will be interesting to see what Tongue can do. Apparently he gave Crawley a 'torrid' time in the nets!! Not surprising and doesn't bode well for the Ashes.

Four-day test I believe, like the last time we played Ireland at Lord's.

Back
Top Bottom