Sport Cricket - Summer 2023

Four-day test I believe, like the last time we played Ireland at Lord's.

And that was eventful.

England all out for 85. 20 wickets on Day 1. 92 scored by Jack Leach as nightwatchmen. Ireland all out for 38 in their chase.

England are better than performances like that though. Jason Roy opened the bat back then 😨.

And that was eventful.

England all out for 85. 20 wickets on Day 1. 92 scored by Jack Leach as nightwatchmen. Ireland all out for 38 in their chase.

England are better than performances like that though. Jason Roy opened the bat back then 😨.
I was there for Ireland's 38, Woakes was unplayable. Paid for a day's cricket, was in the pub game done by lunch.

2 early Broad wickets, Ireland 19-2 after the first half hour.

Make that 3 early Broad wickets, Ireland 19-3

Stupid question alert!!

I assume that Ireland are a recognised test nation and these wickets will count towards overall records?

Anderson going past 700 test wickets, Broad 600, and us winning back the Ashes would be a perfect summer.

Stupid question alert!!

I assume that Ireland are a recognised test nation and these wickets will count towards overall records?

Anderson going past 700 test wickets, Broad 600, and us winning back the Ashes would be a perfect summer.

Ireland are a recognised Test nation. They were awarded Test status in June 2017 at the same time as Afghanistan.

Wicket for Leach.
He seems to have improved hugely as a bowler since Stokes took over as captain

Wicket for Leach.
He seems to have improved hugely as a bowler since Stokes took over as captain

Simply put Stokes has belief in him, unlike Root.

Further Stokes will use him as an attacking option in any conditions, like today, whereas it took exceptional circumstances for Root to do so. Root always pretty much used him to tie an end up and set defensive fields. Whereas today Stokes at one point gave him a silly point and never put out an outfield player covering the sweep when Stirling was batting which is how he ultimately got out gloving it behind.

Simply put Stokes has belief in him, unlike Root.

Further Stokes will use him as an attacking option in any conditions, like today, whereas it took exceptional circumstances for Root to do so. Root always pretty much used him to tie an end up and set defensive fields. Whereas today Stokes at one point gave him a silly point and never put out an outfield player covering the sweep when Stirling was batting which is how he ultimately got out gloving it behind.

I agree. Leach is now being used as a genuine wicket taking option rather than just someone who can slow the run rate down or give the seamers a rest.

The big change that Stokes and McCullum have done is to bring the best out of each and every player, and to encourage them to play positively at all times.

Stupid question alert!!

The move to Test status has been a blessing and a curse for Ireland. Irish cricketers used to come over to the UK and improve as a result on the county circuit. Morgan, Joyce, Rankin, Stirling, Porterfield etc were always stalwarts on that. It's almost certainly why drastically improved from 2000 to 2015.

However, when Test status was granted, their players either had to keep playing as a county players and not play for Ireland or be regarded as Overseas Players for which there are limited spaces in county squads (and not many counties will choose an Irish player over an Aussie or Indian looking to play an English summer over here). With no proper red ball game of note in Ireland itself, they're kind of stuck in having Test status but having no pathway to it or a domestic competition to choose players from.

You essentially have an ODI squad having to completely reset itself into a Test side* every time they play the longer format.

*Which may just be Bazball, anyway! I mean, England have scored 524 off 496 in their innings which is crazy really.

Why were England so bloody stupid to have declared in their first innings against Australia?

Did anybody see any of the ODI at the Oval today?
Stokes 182 in 124 balls. Its a bit worrying that his knee still seems to be hindering him, but what a player!
Topley and Woakes bowling well.
If we can get Rachid and Wood fit we look in decent shape.
3 weeks to the WC.

Did anybody see any of the ODI at the Oval today?
Stokes 182 in 124 balls. Its a bit worrying that his knee still seems to be hindering him, but what a player!
Topley and Woakes bowling well.
If we can get Rachid and Wood fit we look in decent shape.
3 weeks to the WC.
It has been a very odd series of games against NZ, including the T20s. We have had 7 games now, and all 7 have been one-sided pastings. On paper the two sides are really evenly matched so the lack of tight finishes has been surprising.

It has been a very odd series of games against NZ, including the T20s. We have had 7 games now, and all 7 have been one-sided pastings. On paper the two sides are really evenly matched so the lack of tight finishes has been surprising.
Agreed. As someone who generally prefers the long form of the game, I think that the saving grace of the ODI and T20 (especially) formats is that you can get some very exciting finishes. As these series have shown, that is far from a given though even when (as you say) the teams look pretty evenly matched.

On a separate point, the upcoming ODI world cup is being held in India. There was some discussion on yesterdays cricket coverage of the effect that the dew would have later on in those games and some concern that effectively it could be 'win the toss, win the match'. I do hope that isn't the case!

On a separate point, the upcoming ODI world cup is being held in India. There was some discussion on yesterdays cricket coverage of the effect that the dew would have later on in those games and some concern that effectively it could be 'win the toss, win the match'. I do hope that isn't the case!
It has certainly been the case in recent tournaments out there.

They said on sky sports that the time of year might lessen the dew effect, don't know to what degree though.

Back
Top Bottom