Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

Sharma didn’t give a warning either. I don’t have an issue with a Mankad if some degree or warning is given to the batter but she didn’t do that. It came across as a measure to ‘win at all costs’ which is becoming a bit of a trend in Indian cricket. Did they not think they would be able to take England’s 10th wicket before England reached the total?

Men’s or women’s team, they’re way behind the Aussies now as my least favourite international cricket side.

To be fair to the Indian mens team, they allowed Ian Bell to come back out after a tea break once. Bell thought the ball was hit the ball for four on the last ball before Tea,and they started walking off. The fielder on the boundary threw the ball back in and the bails were taken off by Dhoni I think, but because they walked off for tea, and Bell’s lapse in concerntration they didn’t think it was very sporting to get him out like that, and allowed him to carry on with his innings, and I think he went and got 130+ at Trent Bridge I think it was.

Last edited:
To me you don't leave your crease unless you are going to run. I have no sympathy for the England batter. It's within the rules and stops people starting their run before the batter has hot the ball. She had stolen a massive amount of distance by the time the batsman would have hit the ball.
You can't steal a 'massive distance' in the second and a half it takes to get down to the batsman from the position she was in during the delivery stride (in her ground). She was caught out by the bowler throwing an intentional dummy by not releasing the ball.

To be fair to the Indian mens team, they allowed Ian Bell to come back out after a tea break once. Bell thought the ball was hit the ball for four on the last ball before Tea,and they started walking off. The fielder on the boundary threw the ball back in and the bails were taken off by Dhoni I think, but because they walked off for tea, and Bell’s lapse in concerntration they didn’t think it was very sporting to get him out like that, and allowed him to carry on with his innings, and I think he went and got 130+ at Trent Bridge I think it was.
Yes, that was an act of high class by a man of high class, MS Dhoni. He quite rightly won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade for that action. Had it happened when Kohli was captain, I think it's safe to say the outcome would have been different. And as per usual, Indian cricket fans are being completely toxic and aggressive on social media over yesterday's events. There's none so blind..

Sharma didn’t give a warning either. I don’t have an issue with a Mankad if some degree or warning is given to the batter but she didn’t do that. It came across as a measure to ‘win at all costs’ which is becoming a bit of a trend in Indian cricket. Did they not think they would be able to take England’s 10th wicket before England reached the total?

Men’s or women’s team, they’re way behind the Aussies now as my least favourite international cricket side.

She's known for it and apparently teams talk about it before the game. Doesn't change that I think the Umpire should have called dead ball as said above it doesn't look like she was even intending to bowl the ball. I hope we start targeting her or the Indians to make a point when we next play them in the same way. Once the point is made then back off again.

Yes, that was an act of high class by a man of high class, MS Dhoni. He quite rightly won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade for that action. Had it happened when Kohli was captain, I think it's safe to say the outcome would have been different. And as per usual, Indian cricket fans are being completely toxic and aggressive on social media over yesterday's events. There's none so blind..

This nails it for me.

If I was bowling what is to stop me from doing this every delivery and trying to run out the non-striker, even if they have had no intention of leaving their crease? The game would never get started. Equally fair comment about when the non-striker is clearly trying to pinch a few feet.

Hence the rule should be one warning must be given, probably one per innings rather than one per batter. Then everyone knows where they stand. Perhaps there should also be one or more penalty runs for trying to run out the non-striker when he/she hasn't left their crease.

Over to you MCC!

Just looked up on the Mankad dismissal. Kapil Dev had got 4 people out in that fashion. Yes it’s within the rules, but warn the opposing batsmen. Tell them if you want to continue to chance it, then you will be run out in this manner.

It’s definitely not in the spirit of the game, but perfectly legal. A bit of a grey area!

There is one way to never, ever let it happen - don’t leave your crease until you see the ball released and in the air…

Exactly don't start running untill the ball is hit. She was preempting the run by starting before the ball is hit. I don't have much sympathy.
If you said when it leaves the bowlers hand then you may have a point. Nobody waits until the ball is hit before leaving their ground.

Haven’t the IPL done something about mankad’s I think they have a ruling where it’s not allowed, since the Buttler incident with Ravichandran Ashwin or have I got that wrong?

Haven’t the IPL done something about mankad’s I think they have a ruling where it’s not allowed, since the Buttler incident with Ravichandran Ashwin or have I got that wrong?
Don't think that's the case. In fact, the MCC did move to legitimise the Mankad by classifying it as a run out, think it was March this year.

Ahh ok mate. Wasn’t sure if there was a rule implemented or not.
I've been searching since you posted the question, not found anything to support it. But it was a big thing at the time, so could have believed it happened...

Wow that was an entertaining ending for the men in the T20!
Incredible end - I thought we were dead and buried, and then I thought we had it in the bag! No need to make that fatal run really, but huge amounts of pressure out there so you can see why. Goes to show there’s no harm in keeping the score ticking over at a run at ball at times!

I much prefer a game like this evening than 240 plays 230. A decent battle between bat and ball, not the forced spectacle of having the ball fly into the crowd every other ball.

Back
Top Bottom