Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
England get to be kingmakers now.
We've qualified - so how much do we rate South Africa?
If the answer is 'Not a lot', then we can rest everyone for the final group game and if we lose heavily it will probably be them that join us in the semis.
If we think they might be useful, then we can play our first string, and if we beat them (or lose a tight one) then most likely it will then be the Aussies that get through (unless they lose to the Windies)*

(*I'm kind of joking here - because in sprint tournaments like this, momentum is so important that it's better for England to keep winning than hand pick their opponents. But it's a weird quirk of the scheduling that means we probably could choose the other qualifier now if we wanted to!)

And whoever said that India is a threat.......really tough to see them qualifying now.
Given how weak Group B is, their only hope is that New Zealand lose to Afghanistan (they're not losing to Scotland or Namibia!) and then they sneak through on run rate. But given the drubbings they've received from both Pakistan and NZ, even that looks highly unlikely.

I'd now wager quite a lot on it being England vs. NZ in the semis. Which is not going to be a cakewalk, as that Kiwi attack can cause problems against anyone.

We have not technically qualified Tony?
Australia and S Africa could still finish on 8 points.
Our run rate means that we almost certainly get there.
I agree that it is likely to be England v NZ and that will be a difficult game

As a follower of Yorkshire it is very disappointing what has gone on but I think there is a lot more to come out of this and I think a lot of other counties and players may become involved in other cases as Azeem Rafiq has said many times it is cricket in general in this country.
I am not commenting any further on this at present but maybe I will in the coming months when more is out in the open.

As a follower of Yorkshire it is very disappointing what has gone on but I think there is a lot more to come out of this and I think a lot of other counties and players may become involved in other cases as Azeem Rafiq has said many times it is cricket in general in this country.
I am not commenting any further on this at present but maybe I will in the coming months when more is out in the open.
I heard a report that Yorkshire have always been worse than many ( from the time Viv Richards got huge racist abuse at Yorkshire)
They contrasted with Leicestetshire who have really embraced multi culturalism.
That I think was on 5 Live.
Of course it was only what 30 years ago (?) That Yorkshire allowed people not born in Yorkshire to play for them.
I am sure that there is another side of the story, but their committee seem from the outside to have handled this awfully.

I heard a report that Yorkshire have always been worse than many ( from the time Viv Richards got huge racist abuse at Yorkshire)
They contrasted with Leicestetshire who have really embraced multi culturalism.
That I think was on 5 Live.
Of course it was only what 30 years ago (?) That Yorkshire allowed people not born in Yorkshire to play for them.
I am sure that there is another side of the story, but their committee seem from the outside to have handled this awfully.
1992 to be precise. The other counties changed their own rules in the late 60s and early 70s to enable themselves to be more competitive after years of not being so just as Yorkshire did 20 years later.. Yes it has been handled badly but a couple of things baffle me slightly about the whole situation. Firstly why go back for more awful treatment if it was so bad first time round and secondly one type of abuse about heritage is no better than another.

Is anyone else finding this T20 World Cup a bit meh? The lack of crowds and atmosphere, the fact that there have been very very few close matches, the huge impact winning the toss seems to have especially in venues where the side bowling second has to content with a dew-soaked ball, the lack of competitiveness of the 'smaller' sides with no real upsets.... it is all very flat.

I'll keep watching (well, listening mostly) in the hope that there is a sparkler or two left in the box but so far it's been a damp squib IMO.

Is anyone else finding this T20 World Cup a bit meh? The lack of crowds and atmosphere, the fact that there have been very very few close matches, the huge impact winning the toss seems to have especially in venues where the side bowling second has to content with a dew-soaked ball, the lack of competitiveness of the 'smaller' sides with no real upsets.... it is all very flat.

I'll keep watching (well, listening mostly) in the hope that there is a sparkler or two left in the box but so far it's been a damp squib IMO.
There have been some decent close matches, AUS v SA, ENG v SL, SL v SA, WI v BAN, AFG v PAK, but as you say a lot of very one-sided games as well. I've liked the fact it's harder to score, but the toss is really having an impact and the crowds aren't there to provide a great backdrop.

The Semis should be good however, looking like PAK v AUS and ENG v NZ, so should be some crackers to come.

Nope, England have been doing well so I’ve been loving it, as an England cricket fan we’re in no position to be looking gift horses in the mouth!! 😅

Nope, England have been doing well so I’ve been loving it, as an England cricket fan we’re in no position to be looking gift horses in the mouth!! 😅
I agree with you on this one as I think our chances of winning much after this tournament will be less.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing England do well. But as a whole, I am finding the games/competition less exciting than I hoped!

So, England chasing 190 to win their final group game.

The other permeation is run rate. England can lose this and progress but have to score 87 to get there. South Africa need to keep England under 130 runs for them to progress at the expense of the Aussies.

EDIT. 106 to top the group.

So, England chasing 190 to win their final group game.

The other permeation is run rate. England can lose this and progress but have to score 87 to get there. South Africa need to keep England under 130 runs for them to progress at the expense of the Aussies.
England need to finish top.
S Africa batted very well.

Good to see how we handle a bit of pressure now. 30-0 off 3.2, so a strong start to the chase.

Oh dear.
Jason Roy seems to have done his hamstring.
Buttler and Roy were totally on top as well.

Eng need 25 from 12. Livingstone and Morgan in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom